Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Chemical hair straightening kits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I am considering buying a boots home straightening kit to help me tame my hair its not mega expensive at £15 but I dont want to waste my money and ruin my hair.

Does anyone have any experience of using it, did it work and what kind of condition was your hair in afterwards.

I regularly use my GHD's and regardless of the deep conditioning treaments and heat protection products that I use I get dry ends that are prone to spliting breaking quite a bit. I want to grow my hair so I would like to use less styling appliances and reading the box it says that it makes hair stronger.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've not used, but I've been told by people that use it a few times, but not alot. Since it's a chemical, it can damage your hair quickly.
    Yeah I kind of expect some damage, but in relation to the heated appliance usage I don't know if it would be better or worse. I know when I was younger the local hair salon used to use the same stuff to perm and straighten hair which obviously causes some damage to the hair but things have moved on in the last 15 years in the hair care world and I am not sure if its the same type of thing.
    It didn't damage my hair, but didn't see any really noticeable results either. It was perhaps slightly straighter, but certainly not completely straight.
    It's a cheap version of L'oreal Xtenso/Wellastrate type products. Even then, it's supposed to be a curl/frizz relaxer which makes your hair easier to straighten so you don't need to use irons as much. It isn't like dying your hair at home - you need this done by a professional or it won't work.
    A friend of mine gets hers chemically straightened by a professional every few months (£450) and her hair looks beautiful.
    Thanks for the replies guys, I dont have curly hair as such just the odd kinky bit, I wouldn't mind if it was all over but its only in certain bits of my hair and very uneven so I look a right state if it gets wet. I think I will give it a miss and continue to wear my hair up if its damp weather and straighten it when I need to.
    ^I think you're being sensible with that decision. I have heard from people I know that've used it, that it has made their hair very frizzy and not very straight.
    Hi,

I am considering buying a boots home straightening kit to help me tame my hair its not mega expensive at £15 but I dont want to waste my money and ruin my hair.

Does anyone have any experience of using it, did it work and what kind of condition was your hair in afterwards.

I regularly use my GHD's and regardless of the deep conditioning treaments and heat protection products that I use I get dry ends that are prone to spliting breaking quite a bit. I want to grow my hair so I would like to use less styling appliances and reading the box it says that it makes hair stronger.

hey i bought it and tell you what save your money...it completely ruined my hair bad! its still bad now but not as much... i had to go straight to the hairdressers and they had to cut alot of my hair off :(

so dont buy it and save ur money