Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why is being in the Army considered so noble and heroic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not trying to be offensive here, just actually quite curious -

The UK press has been dominated over the last week about the story of the first female soldier to be killed in Iraq. Her and the other guys killed have been praised for being so heroic, noble, courageous, deserved of our respect, brave, etc.

Now, hang on a minute - isn't the majority of the country (and if not the majority, easily 40-50%) opposed (in many cases, heavily strongly opposed) to us going to war against Iraq and Afghanistan? If it were the case they'd gone out to fight and this was deemed necessary/essential to protect our country then fair enough, of course they should get such respect. But what I'm feeling is current recent recruits in the Army are making the active decision choosing to go to Iraq/Afghanistan, ie they know if they sign up that's what they could be in for, and as we know its meant the killing of thousands of innocent people. Should they really deserve such respect, is it really such a noble job to be involved in the killing of thousands of innocent people?

Btw I'm not saying if they've died they should be getting any criticism whatsoever, its just they've been in the press recently about that so its rekindled my interest - I'm talking about people currently out there serving, why is there a pretty unanimous "Support Our Troops" message from the whole country despite so many (the majority I'd think) being against the wars we're currently involved in, and Army people having the choice whether to be involved or not (particularly new recruits who have joined post the beginning of these wars)?

Comments

• Options
    I think soldiers join up to defend the country and are expected to follow orders whatever happens and fight wherever they are. Nearly all wars are political 'game playing' in one form or another and there is no real 'need' to go to war. But a soldier does his duty and a politician makes the choices.

Therefore we should in my opinion criticise politicians for the wars we engage in and soldiers should be commended for going into dangerous areas on our behalf (even if we don't want them there, it's not their choice I don't think - when you sign up you sign up for either everything or nothing)
  • Options
    I didn't understand the media interest over the death of the first female soldier - is female life more important than male? I always thought that if you are a soldier then you are a soldier regardless of your gender, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I think even if you don't agree to the army being there you should mourn their losses. After all its not the members of the army who've decided to send themselves to Iraq - its the Politican's.
  • Options
    I didn't understand the media interest over the death of the first female soldier - is female life more important than male? I always thought that if you are a soldier then you are a soldier regardless of your gender, if you see what I mean.
    Agreed. It was almost a bit patronising, like a female life's more 'precious' than a man's, omg how dare a woman be killed kinda thing.
    JsT wrote:
    I think even if you don't agree to the army being there you should mourn their losses. After all its not the members of the army who've decided to send themselves to Iraq - its the Politican's.
    As said I'm not talking about once people have died, just in general people have very high respect for those going out to fight, and particularly for people who joined since 2003 it has pretty much been their choice; they made the decision to join the Army and knew the consequences could be going out to fight (and kill) in Iraq/Afghanistan. Surely more "noble" to boycott the Army and do something else instead..?
  • Options

That's true but I think it's a big thing for the media to pick up on as women are probably seen as more 'precious' than men, and children more 'precious' than women, etc. I don't know exactly how it works I guess the best way to think of it is if you watch Titanic 'women and children first'...

...but I don't think any female soldier who joins up necessarily expects this special 'no front line' treatment, it's more society. Just look at GI Jane :thumb: "suck my dick"

edit: tinkler said almost the same as me above, scary!
  • Options
    I reckon far more people than you'd think don't consider it heroic- some actually quite the opposite. But the subject is highly controversial and any public figure who dared to say something slightly critical of the Army and its soldiers would be shot down in flames.
  • Options
    There are obviously certain elements to becoming a soldier that are undoubtedly heroic and noble. The willingness to put your life on the line for other people is always a heroic quality. The willingness to kill for other people is a task that doesn't seem to get mentioned in the same breath though.

But incidentally, I don't think it's fair to be criticising individual soldiers. Not to sound too patronising, but plenty of soldiers are people who perhaps didn't get good grades at school, and saw the military as a good way of learning a skill or trade. Why the government can't provide adequate training for such people outside of the context of war is something you'll have to take up with them, but I wouldn't blame the people who took them up on the offer.

Unless you're a person who believes we don't need a military, then I think the people who do it deserve our respect. Any issue with the specific tasks they're asked to do should be with the government of the day, not the military. And incidentally, I support thejob they're doing in Afghanistan, if not Iraq.

As for the first female soldier dying, I thought it was newsworthy because it highlighted the nature of the operation quite well. Women are still not allowed on the front line, and the fact that a woman died highlighted the fact that this is a war where all of the soldiers are essentially on the front line at all times. But even without that, I suppose it's a noteworthy point. There have been a lot of debates in the past as to whether women should be allowed in the military, so I think highlighting the first female death is a valid story.
  • Options
    Whilst the a proportion of the nation is opposed to the war, it's only the red flagged crazies who hold personal grudges against the soldiers themselves.

Even the "Stop the War" coalition support the troops, however in a "bring them home and keep them safe" stance.

I respect our soldiers, they do a job that is essential, they risk their lives and help keep us safe.

I've just come back from the USA, and they've got posters everywhere with "support our troops" e.t.c. which i think it's a shame we can't do here.
  • Options

its not to do with gender as much as most of the families wanted to be left alone, but that soldiers (the females) didnt ask to be left alone. I guess people cope with their grief in different ways...................and THEN the media had a field day about it being the first woman - an interesting spin on the story etc
  • Options
    I think partly, the government is trying to keep the image of the military upbeat so it can continue this 'unpopular' war. I feel sorry for the military being used as political pawns.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Whilst the a proportion of the nation is opposed to the war, it's only the red flagged crazies who hold personal grudges against the soldiers themselves.

Even the "Stop the War" coalition support the troops, however in a "bring them home and keep them safe" stance.

I respect our soldiers, they do a job that is essential, they risk their lives and help keep us safe.

I've just come back from the USA, and they've got posters everywhere with "support our troops" e.t.c. which i think it's a shame we can't do here.
    Nothing wrong with respect and admiration, or indeed with praising heroic actions by soldiers.

But some people- me included to a degree- object to the elevation to demi-gods to anyone who serves with the Armed Forces abroad. It gets a bit heavy and it is not a fair or realistic assertion.

Though not as heavy in the US, when it is not unheard of for PA announcers at sports grounds or even pilots in airplanes to ask for members of the military to stand up so people can applaud them and 'thank them'.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with respect and admiration, or indeed with praising heroic actions by soldiers.

But some people- me included to a degree- object to the elevation to demi-gods to anyone who serves with the Armed Forces abroad. It gets a bit heavy and it is not a fair or realistic assertion.

Though not as heavy in the US, when it is not unheard of for PA announcers at sports grounds or even pilots in airplanes to ask for members of the military to stand up so people can applaud them and 'thank them'.

It's not just what each individual soldier does, it's the sacrifice I think. It's hard to put into words. But if you see WW2 veterans - they were innocent but saw and even committed horrors in defence of their, our freedoms. I see today's soldiers and indeed the soldiers as tomorrow as fulfilling exactly the same role and that's what they should be thanked for. It is the institution of the armed forces that protects and serves our needs and does what we don't want to do and what would be too horrific for many of us to do.

It is the state of politics in the current era (well, since the end of WW2 if you think about it, the cold war and since has all been about manufacturing enemies to look at conflicts - who was it that said we have the potential to be the first generation in history to see a world without wars? :() that there are few clear cut decisions and many will disagree with the conflict the soldiers fight in. But they still do fight and put trust in the higher authority / government and they are still protecting us and our freedoms. Granted, the individual soldier who joins up might just be doing it because it looks exciting rather than any noble desire to protect like some 'knight in shining armour'...

But that doesn't change the fact that they're there, willing to take bullets and bombs because we're not, even if we pay them, it's being done to protect our liberty and safety.

I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me. I respect the institution and I see soldiers as representatives of that institution and so respect them (like you might respect a PC... or not lol :p) and happily pay homage to them.
  • Options
    Bets are most people wouldn't recognise a soldier if they saw them in the street - they neither eat babies or leap tall buildings in a single bound. They're not, as whole, supermen, but nor are they the sweepings of the gutters - whose only choice was the army or life on the streets.

But the job they do isn't ordinary. At the end of the day when politcos, and diplomats, journos and the Islington Rifles have had there say - it falls down to the bloke on the ground to kill or be killed and to do the democratically elected Government's will by force of arms.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be offensive here, just actually quite curious -

The UK press has been dominated over the last week about the story of the first female soldier to be killed in Iraq. Her and the other guys killed have been praised for being so heroic, noble, courageous, deserved of our respect, brave, etc.

Now, hang on a minute - isn't the majority of the country (and if not the majority, easily 40-50%) opposed (in many cases, heavily strongly opposed) to us going to war against Iraq and Afghanistan? If it were the case they'd gone out to fight and this was deemed necessary/essential to protect our country then fair enough, of course they should get such respect. But what I'm feeling is current recent recruits in the Army are making the active decision choosing to go to Iraq/Afghanistan, ie they know if they sign up that's what they could be in for, and as we know its meant the killing of thousands of innocent people. Should they really deserve such respect, is it really such a noble job to be involved in the killing of thousands of innocent people?

That's like saying you don't deserve any respect if you're a surgeon because being a surgeon means you may be involved in the death of innocent people, and you knew before you became a surgeon that you might be involved in the death of innocent people. Our soldiers do not go to work to kill innocent people, they go to work to protect and defend innocent people. If innocent civvies are killed it is because it was unavoidable or accidental.

While trying to defend innocent civilians baddies shoot at them and try to blow them up. It is courageous to try to defend innocent people while baddies are trying to shoot you and blow you up. People who do so are deserving of respect because it is not an easy thing to do, because it is essentially putting yourself in danger, and possibly giving your life, for the sake of other people. The fact that the majority of people may be opposed to those wars doesn't change that. You obviously don't believe it, but most politicians consider the war in Afghanistan and the training of Iraqi soldiers to be 'necessary/essential' to our safety.

You're making a lot of the fact that those who have recently joined the army chose to do so knowing that they may be sent to Iraq/Afghanistan because you think they've been sent there to kill innocent civilians - that's not the case.
  • Options
    How are army recruits signing up to kill thousands of innocent people?:confused:
    Sounds like someones talking out the wrong end here......

Id like to know why you think its not heroic?
  • Options
    I only just saw this thread, I'm with you.
    The way I see it, no one goes to war, there is no war to fight.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    Should they really deserve such respect, is it really such a noble job to be involved in the killing of thousands of innocent people?
    Talk about missing the point, Tinkler. If you believe pacifist Lefties who oppose war on any grounds, you'd think that the British Army had decided one day that it was bored and was going to stage a full-scale invasion of Afghanistan and later on, Iraq. But of course, that isn't what happened.

Personally, I never supported the war in Afghanistan myself. I thought that it's all well and good getting rid of the Taliban, but what on earth are you going to replace it with? As for Iraq, I was completely torn before the conflict. When it started, I threw my weight behind it as I believed it was patriotic to do so. Weeks later, I began to realise just how wrong I had been to do so. I bitterly regret ever supporting the war in Iraq. British troops out there were meant to be fighting for Queen and country, as they have done so brilliantly over many hundreds of years. This time, they were fighting for Bush, Blair and American interests. A shameful betrayal by useless politicians who have probably never seen a bullet in their lives.

In particular, you should be aiming all your fire towards the one man who sent them there - Tony Blair. This monster took the UK into war on the basis of a pack of lies. Thanks to his fibbing, and his pathetic slavishness towards the USA, hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq and Afghanistan are now dead. And is he repentent for the sins he has committed, for holier-than-thou Blair proclaimeth to be a religious man? Not in the slightest. No, he's earning millions from making crap speeches and working for American banks. History will almost certainly conclude now that Tony Blair's foreign policy was decided merely out of personal interest. How ironic that the man who says passing the Human Rights Act was the best thing his government ever did is now considered to have committed crimes against humanity.
  • Options
    Agreed. Let's just be thankful it's not mandatory to go to war.
    Another note though, (this may seem sterotypical, but it's true for the most) teenagers these days think of war as being an fun time, seeing the world, easy work with many benifits of money and trade skills. Yet, how many stories do you hear of injured, disabled young people coming back from war, regretting ever going and they just get tossed aside with money from the government.