Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

where should i look for part time jobs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm at a complet loss as to where to look for part time jobs. The local paper has nothing other than building work, job centre seems to have very little, and i've been looking on reed, and there seems to be very little thats part time. I've applied to my local whetherspoons, local Tesco's doesn't have any vacancies, same with sainsburys, and i'm not sure i have the confidence to get into every shop on oxford street and hand over my CV...

Help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm not sure i have the confidence to get into every shop on oxford street and hand over my CV...

Help!

I did that once, it was quite sucessful actually although I did feel a bit stupid I got offered several interviews the next week (it was Christmas season though so they must have been hiring lots).

Other approaches that have worked for me in the past include ... jobs board at Sainsbury's (I know you said you've tried this without luck thogh), asking friends or family members who already work at somewhere I fancied working if there are any vacancies coming up, talking to people I know who might be able to employ me e.g. friends of my parents etc, university jobs shop notice board (even if you aren't at the university a lot of the job adverts on uni notice boards give enough info to work out who's hiring anyway so although it's a bit cheeky in theory you could still apply), from recommendations from others I have worked for. I've also tried online sites (not very much luck and an awful lot of crap to sift through to find what I was looking for), sending CV off on spec to companies (this has worked for me in the past for full time work).

Good luck with your job hunt, it can be so frustrating if nothing comes up, it seems to be more to do with what's around than how employable someone is to a large extent with this type of thing.
    Bang out a load of cvs and cover letters and hand them in wherever you can. I usually do 30 or so. I've always had a job within the week that way
    If you fancy a spot of telesales, most telesales rooms that I know of offer part time shifts? When I want one of these I just phone them up and book an interview with them rather than bothering with a CV, CV works too but is best followed up closely with a telephone call, after all it's telephone manner, enthusiasm and experience that matter, in that order usually.