Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

resigning as director

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Around a year ago I started a company with a (business) partner and worked on it solidly for 6 months while we were both continued working our 9-5 crappy jobs. He took care of the business side and i designed/made the 'products'.

We had a strong brand and website, and we registered as a limited company. We had never actually sold anything, but were just about to finalise business loan/investment. This was all only a small time thing with the potential to be big.

I had been getting fed up with him for a few months because I believed he wasn't pulling his weight, and I felt he was blagging his part of the workload. After a few weeks holiday over christmas, he became hard to get hold of. I then got a decent job in the field I wanted to be in, which meant there was no reason for me to start my own business with somebody who I didn't particularly get on with.

I wasn't in town when he finally made the effort to get hold of me a month later. I tried again when I was back, but I've heard nothing since.

Anyway....blah blah blah.... 5 months later.

I'm glad we never finalised any loans or bought any expensive equipment. He actually owes me £100 and has about £200 of my stuff, but in the big sceme of things it's not a lot. I know we are both being cowards in refusing to speak to each other now.... but the longer it goes the more difficult it is. I will do it soon....promise;)
  1. How do I go about resigning as director/secretary of the company and what do i need to be aware of?
  2. Am I able to use the brand name in the future without him? Even if its used to sell something completely different?
  3. Who owns and will own the copyright to the things that I personally designed? (eg logos, website and designs)

thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go and speak to a solicitor about your rights. What you're asking is far too complicated to be answered on a message board for teenagers. It really is worth spending £100 on a solicitor to safeguard your position.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When the company was set up you would have has to sign a 288a (to be appointed as a company director) and this would normally need to be signed by a solicitor.

If a director wishes to resign from a company, they must submit the form 288b to Companies House.