Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A380 - That Big Plane

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Yay!! - I just booked a ticket for next year to the land of Oz and it's on the A380!!

Anyone else been on it yet?

airbus-a380.jpg
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    Yay!! - I just booked a ticket for next year to the land of Oz and it's on the A380!!

airbus-a380.jpg

Whatever happened to the yellow brick road?
    g_angel wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the yellow brick road?

It got congestion charge :)
    It got congestion charge :)

:D
    One thing I can't believe - the world's largest passenger plane and they only give you 20 KG of luggage. :eek2:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/A300-600ST_1_New_Colour.JPG

That carried the wings for the A380 over to france.
    Weird looking thing and lands about 10miles from where i work, its really freaky to see it go over. Its silent and so low that it looks ready to drop from the sky.
    its called a beluga
    I think the way the A380 is built is kinda dumb - they have to build one thing in one country and something else in another just to keep all the European partners happy.

I don't believe the Beluga is wide enough to transport the wings of the A380

This is from WikiPedia

The wings, which are manufactured at Filton in Bristol and Broughton in North Wales, are transported by barge to Mostyn docks, where the ship adds them to its cargo. In Saint-Nazaire in western France, the ship trades the fuselage sections from Hamburg for larger, assembled sections, some of which include the nose. The ship unloads in Bordeaux. Afterwards, the ship picks up the belly and tail sections by Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA in Cádiz in southern Spain, and delivers them to Bordeaux. From there, the A380 parts are transported by barge to Langon, and by oversize road convoys to the assembly hall in Toulouse.[12]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/3594419.stm
    (This link also says they're too heavy to be transported by air)

http://www.cadinfo.net/editorial/A380-1.htm
    (and this one confirms the wings are too large to be flown)

airbus-a380.jpg

Not yet ...i'm waiting for you ;lot to test drive it.
    oh fair enough. i always thought it was the A380 wings it carried. must just carry other stuff
    My Dad helped make/design (or something..) that plane :cool:. He works at Broughton. I saw one of the wings before it was shipped of to France, they're bloody huge! It's crazy how they make them in a totally different country to the rest of the plane.
    The major delays were caused by the different countries involved not wanting to use the same software

The 747 was introduced in 1970 - how old is that ... 38 years old - it's about time we had a newer plane to replace it.
    Actually, the 747 is a boeing, but both airbus and boeing have newer versions which are the A350 and boeing 777, which are both newer than the 747, but to be fair there is a huge gap in the market for a bigger better jumbo jet.

[/stops pretending to be rachie]
    Was that post meant for me?

Already knew the 747 was Boeing, thought everyone knew that .. :)

I meant it's about time there was another big plane to replace the 747 - irrespective of who makes it.
    Kirsty* wrote: »
    My Dad helped make/design (or something..) that plane :cool:. He works at Broughton. I saw one of the wings before it was shipped of to France, they're bloody huge! It's crazy how they make them in a totally different country to the rest of the plane.

Busy place. Every time i go past the runway theres always a plane about to land or take off.