Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Silent Dicos

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What the craic there then?

Anybody actually been to one? I know they have them at certain festivals. Seems a bit stupid to me.
Weekender Offender 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are they the same as headphone discos? There was one at a uni ball I went to a few weeks ago and it was brilliant! We paid £5 deposit for the headphones (which you get back in full at the end) and there were two DJs broadcasting on 2 different channels that you can switch between. At first you feel like a bit of a tit, but then you just get into it all and it's great fun. Everyone I went with had a brill time, and the reason they had it was because of noise restrictions after a certain time (it was in a semi-residential area, so the outside bit could only have music licensed to 12pm).
  • Options
    :yes: @ Acrobat. They do sound like a weird idea, and when you first go in it's bizarre - I found myself thinking "I'm never going to get into this" but as soon as you put the headphones on you kind of forget about looking like a fool and get into it (some alcohol helps too). I had the best night at a Silent Disco for my birthday a few weeks ago and would recommend it to anyone. When certain songs come on that everyone knows, take your headphones off and you can hear everyone singing along at the tops of their voices - it's hilarious! Plus, it's great for getting served at the bar cos you don't have to shout :thumb: Give it a try, honestly - I reckon you'll like it.
  • Options
    ive never been to one but i think it sounds like a fantastic idea
  • Options
    I like to feel the music, loud an bouncin, i wanna hear it before i go in a club, i don't want headphones on my ears!

Personally, i'd probably take the ehadphones off and start filimg everyone acting like nobs an laugh!
  • Options
    Yeah but it's a different experience to going to a club, the two are totally different. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's looking for a "clubbing" experience - it's more something really different to your normal night out and fun to try as a complete change.
  • Options
    Ah I wanna go to one. It looks great
  • Options
    Ah yeah you're right, i was comparing it to a club. I do think it might be fun but just seems a bit pointless to me personally, i tihnk i'd rather have the music from a DJ through speakers on the wall.
  • Options
    Ah yeah you're right, i was comparing it to a club. I do think it might be fun but just seems a bit pointless to me personally, i tihnk i'd rather have the music from a DJ through speakers on the wall.

Yes but they're generally for events for where are noise restrictions, e.g. at glastonbury late at night or like someone said earlier, in semi-residential areas for outside areas.
  • Options
    glasAt Glastonbury it would probably be good.

I had the idea it was liek the new thign and people were gettingr eady at home then going into town with their ipods lol
  • Options
    Yeah but you lose the ability of conversation.

For one, everyone's wearing headphones. And two, wouldn't you feel a prize tit trying to get the attention of a girl you like the look of without actually being able to talk to her. Either meek tap on shoulder from behind or full on flapping of the arms. Subtle.
  • Options
    instead of being completely silent when you take the headphones off, wouldn't it be better to have the same music, just quiet enough to please the neigbours?

plus you don't get awkward silences/moments much at a normal rave.
  • Options
    z0ma wrote: »
    Yeah but you lose the ability of conversation.

For one, everyone's wearing headphones. And two, wouldn't you feel a prize tit trying to get the attention of a girl you like the look of without actually being able to talk to her. Either meek tap on shoulder from behind or full on flapping of the arms. Subtle.

It's really not like that. If you want to talk to someone, you just catch their eye and take your headphones off! It's not difficult. As for looking like a prize tit, everyone looks like one anyway dancing in a silent room with headphones on - it's a good equalizer.

Right, going to stop trying to justify it now. I enjoyed it, and would recommend it as a fun night out, but I understand it's not for everyone.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    It's really not like that. If you want to talk to someone, you just catch their eye and take your headphones off! It's not difficult. As for looking like a prize tit, everyone looks like one anyway dancing in a silent room with headphones on - it's a good equalizer.

Right, going to stop trying to justify it now. I enjoyed it, and would recommend it as a fun night out, but I understand it's not for everyone.

Yep, I agree.

To whoever said it, why would there be awkward silences?
  • Options
    I went to one at leeds festy last year, was quite funny. Shoild imagine theyre even better when your off your face.
  • Options
    I went to a silent disco in my SU back in March and it was absolutely brilliant, so much fun. Before you go you think it might be weird, but to me it was just like a normal night out, everyone was dancing and singing along. It's amazing when you take off your headphones and its like you can still hear the music cos so many people are singing along to it, it's a great experience and something a bit different.
  • Options
    imagine how easy it'd be to go and talk to a lass tho..:naughty:
  • Options
    NOAH AND THE WHALE!??! :heart:
  • Options
    Kirsty* wrote: »
    I went to a silent disco in my SU back in March and it was absolutely brilliant, so much fun. Before you go you think it might be weird, but to me it was just like a normal night out, everyone was dancing and singing along. It's amazing when you take off your headphones and its like you can still hear the music cos so many people are singing along to it, it's a great experience and something a bit different.

Meh, wasn't all that at Glastonbury. Weak signals and such lark.

It was hard to enjoy the music when it suddenly turned into electronic distortion I mean.
  • Options
    There was one at oxygen, never got into it. We tried to go in at 5.30am but it was ending at 6 so they wouldn't let us in.

Looked a bit of craic though.
  • Options
    There's one on the 26th July in the Point in Cardiff if anyone down that way fancies it...I'm going, can't wait.
  • Options
    I hate the concept, I hate the pretentiousness behind it.

In fact, I'm determined to gatecrash one and force people to listen to my Daily Web News podcast. I'll show you hardcore.
  • Options
    What's pretentious about it?