Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does anyone think this man shouldn't die in prison?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never heard of this case before.

Surely death in a secure mental institution is more appropriate?
  • Options
    Let him rot.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Let him rot.

Yeah. It'd honestly be quite pointless trying anything with the man.
  • Options
    Why should someone who murdered in cold blood be allowed his freedom at any age? Let him die in his cell.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Let him die in his cell.

:yes:
  • Options
    And make sure that the cunt is on suicide watch too.

No taking the quick exit from his sentence, like Shipman, for him.
  • Options
    He's already served 30 years, so I think perhaps he should go before a parol board, but I doubt they would see it fit to release him.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    I've never heard of this case before.

Surely death in a secure mental institution is more appropriate?

It's quite a famous one I thought - but in my opinion he's bad not mad.
  • Options
    Bring him down the firing range and give him a taste of his own medicine.
  • Options
    That's the spirit, folks - fight malice with malice! Seventy-one year-old man told to rot! We want our revenge forever! Yes, our revenge!

You know full well this isn't even "politics", let alone a "debate". It's a "let's see who can say the nastiest thing possible and get everybody else cheering" thread.
  • Options
    That's the spirit, folks - fight malice with malice! Seventy-one year-old man told to rot! We want our revenge forever! Yes, our revenge!

Aye and so he should. Forget about the teenage girl he left to die in a sewer, forget about the three blokes he blasted to death for a few quid.
    You know full well this isn't even "politics", let alone a "debate". It's a "let's see who can say the nastiest thing possible and get everybody else cheering" thread

Though as you're disagreeing with us, it's obviously debate
  • Options
    Aye and so he should. Forget about the teenage girl he left to die in a sewer, forget about the three blokes he blasted to death for a few quid.

It has nothing to do with forgetting his victims, its understanding that 30 years is a very long time in prison, and it is also a long enough time for someone to change fundamentally.
  • Options
    The whole justice system is based punishment. It should be based on punishment. There should be enough palliative care to make sure that we don't end up having to punish the same person repeatedly for the same actions, but the system has been set up to punish people. That is the reason it exists and it is a reason that should be welcomed rather than buried.

People like this gentleman committed acts so serious that the only suitable punishment is life in prison without any possibility of parole. There is undoubtedly an element of revenge in a punishment for a crime as serious as this, but why is that a bad thing?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    The whole justice system is based punishment.

AND rehabilition.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with forgetting his victims, its understanding that 30 years is a very long time in prison, and it is also a long enough time for someone to change fundamentally.

And? I don't think prison is just there to give people a chance to change - some crimes are so evil that the person should die in jail.
  • Options
    Nah, there's very little rehabilitation involved in the criminal justice system. Just ask anyone with drug addiction issues who are doing porridge. Drug rehab courses are like gold dust; a lot of prisons don't have them and those that do are completely oversubscribed.

They make the right noises about rehabilitation- young people who are sentenced to imprisonment get a "detention and training order"- long on the detention and short on the training- but it means nothing.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    The justiuce system SHOULD be about rehabilitation as much as it is about punishment.

The only logical reason to keep this man inside any longer is if he's still a danger to the public, which I seriously doubt he is. Either way a parole board would have been best to judge.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    The justiuce system SHOULD be about rehabilitation as much as it is about punishment.

The only logical reason to keep this man inside any longer is if he's still a danger to the public, which I seriously doubt he is. Either way a parole board would have been best to judge.

Exactly, just because the current justice system is largely about revenge doesnt mean its the best way forward. If you look at justice systems around the world it is the countries which have both punishment and rehabilitation which have lower crime rates. Just purely focusing on punishment leads to over crowded jails and no reduction of crime.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Exactly, just because the current justice system is largely about revenge doesnt mean its the best way forward. If you look at justice systems around the world it is the countries which have both punishment and rehabilitation which have lower crime rates. Just purely focusing on punishment leads to over crowded jails and no reduction of crime.

But there's a difference between someone who's stolen a car, perhaps even someone who's mugged old ladies and someone who brutally murdered four people. I can accept that we can rehabilitate some people, but others the crime is so evil that the only justice is that they die in jail - which shows more mercy than they gave their victims.
  • Options
    But there's a difference between someone who's stolen a car, perhaps even someone who's mugged old ladies and someone who brutally murdered four people. I can accept that we can rehabilitate some people, but others the crime is so evil that the only justice is that they die in jail - which shows more mercy than they gave their victims.

Of course, but then we should always have more mercy than murderers, surely thats the sign of a decent society.

I'm not suggesting he should just be let out, but after 30 years I do think he should be allowed to go before a parol board who are the experts.
  • Options
    Why should he? Because it has been 30 years?

And if it just about how long he's been inside, how long should a cold-blooded mass murderer serve before he's allowed to get out and walk freely? Because that's what a call for the parole board means- that he should be let out.
  • Options

And if it just about how long he's been inside, how long should a cold-blooded mass murderer serve before he's allowed to get out and walk freely? Because that's what a call for the parole board means- that he should be let out.

It's not the 30 years people are talking about it's the fact he's 71 now .. how exactly can you not see the difference?

if he went in at age 18 for 30 years he'd be 48 and (assuming he was in good health) quite capable of robbing and murdering again

However I doubt a man of 71 is likely to be getting into much trouble
  • Options
    So murderers should be let out only if they're old?

Regardless of this man's "threat", he committed four foul murders and if he'd done the murders only a few years before he'd have had his neck stretched. Give me one good reason why a man who behaved like this should EVER taste freedom again.

Some crimes are so serious that the perpetrators should never be allowed out of prison. Or do you think that everyone should be let out if they can say that they're really really sorry for torturing someone to death and then hiding their body in a sewer?
  • Options
    So murderers should be let out only if they're old?

I don't think they should be. How do the parole board 9and public) know he won't do something similar to what he did 30 years ago?
    Some crimes are so serious that the perpetrators should never be allowed out of prison.

:yes:
  • Options
    At first i though "let him rot", then after a few moments and cycles of rhetorical questions i thought "who cares", whether he is sorry or not, realises if he has done wrong or even if he gets punished for what he did the main thing is he is taken out of soceity. That's one person who the government really does need to take rights away from and exclude from society.#

Lock him up and never let him out, regardless.
  • Options
    I know of one person who is the same age as that guy - born in the same year and I can see that person is a totally different person today as they were 15 years ago, let alone 30 years ago.

Old age totally changes a person - this can be both in a good way or a bad way.

Being let out in public after 30 years locked away would probably be harder on him then actually being left inside.
  • Options

Quite frankly yes, 30 years is a long time to spend in jail (which he definitely deserves) and I think it is right for it to be reviewed. I'm not saying he should be released, I cant know whether he has changed, whether he is a threat etc. that is for the parol board to decide.

I think this may well be an issue on which we fundamentally disagree, but I just dont like the talk of letting anyone rot in jail.
  • Options
    Let him rot sounds right to me.

Imagine it were your father or son who he killed?
  • Options
    Imagine it were your father or son who he killed?

If I was I'm sure I would feel differently, but that's exactly why we have a justice system and dont just let the families of murder victims exact their own revenge.
  • Options
    It's quite a famous one I thought - but in my opinion he's bad not mad.

they always resort to the madness aliby the flipping cowards look at the guy in austria that kept his daughter locked up he wasted no time saying he was mentally ill