Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dating Sites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know why, maybe is my internal clock ticking - but im now in the mood for relationships. I signed up to one of the largest UK Dating Sites and even paid the membership fee to show im serious.

Does anyone have any tips and hints that might get people looking, or sounding nice without faking things

also

Does anyone know what the best way to take a face picture without making it look crap, like the famous myspace pose :P.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The best thing to do is be yourself. Describe a little about yourself, your hobbies and the sort of person you're looking for, and I'm sure you'll do fine. I've been on dating sites for several years and I always use them to find potential partners. Met most of my boyfriends that way. I would also say don't go overkill, try and do maybe a paragraph or so but keep each mini section seperate. That way it's more broken down and looks less daunting to read.

As for photo's of yourself, it depends what you're using i.e. webcam/digital camera. If it's a webcam shot I usually lean my head slightly forward, and look into the camera with a very slight smile. If it's a digital camera you might want a top half shot so people can see your face and your build as well. Or maybe you could do a scenic shot, I like doing them as they look more natural and artistic. Or even a shot where you're out having a good time. I'll attach a couple of my pics to give you an idea - hope this helps!
    many thanks caos, usefull tips

just trying to get the right ones for me now!

does anyone have any tips, able to write me a exaple of a first email to the lady?
    Are you with Match.com? Also if you're looking for maybe a bit of fun rather than a relationship AdultFriendFinder.com and Gumtree (London-centric) are good.

Regarding your photo, use a simple image editor - Microsoft Photo Editor for example - to change the brightness and contrast, so you look a bit striking. Clearly you want to look as you are in person lol, just a normal portrait with a bit of distance so it looks fine.

Regarding the profile, I think you have to remember there's hoardes of competitors on the site, and usually an awful guy to girl ratio. Which is why I feel you need to stand out from the crowd a bit. Have something where you come across impressive and attractive rather than the normal bloke who likes football and beer. Stating the obvious perhaps but remember there could easily be 70:30 guys:girls on places like Match, and the guys aggressively contact the girls and less vice-versa. Just like a nightclub then...

good luck!
    Make sure your profile is different to others. Read over a few and see what sort of things they're saying. There's nothing worse than reading a profile that starts "Man this is hard to write" or "I have no idea what to write" It really doesn't make you sound like you've got much about you. Then there's the typical everyone loves traveling, quiet nights in with a dvd and bottle of wine, they're all kind, caring, romantic etc. Spice it up, add some humour and so on.

As for photo's, one reasonably close up so they can see you properly, but then it's nice to have photo's that show you doing your hobbies...makes profiles more believable!
    thanks for the tips

photo uploaded - not the best pose ever suited to me but it do for now

personal add updated - like you said made it very diffrent that all the others, and pretty funny too!

Was only online a second and got a instant chat message, so it does work - only thing is that she couldnt type and spell in english, and being english. not my kind of gal

thanks anyway, thanks for the tips :)
    tinkler wrote: »

Regarding the profile, I think you have to remember there's hoardes of competitors on the site, and usually an awful guy to girl ratio. Which is why I feel you need to stand out from the crowd a bit. Have something where you come across impressive and attractive rather than the normal bloke who likes football and beer. Stating the obvious perhaps but remember there could easily be 70:30 guys:girls on places like Match, and the guys aggressively contact the girls and less vice-versa. Just like a nightclub then...

good grief any serious intentions i may have had of joining and using a dating site you've just killed off :thumb: - Beside I'm finding facebook is pretty easy, cheap and reliable way to meet people :p
    Harmless wrote: »
    Beside I'm finding facebook is pretty easy, cheap and reliable way to meet people :p
    Totally. Facebook's had some part to play in most of my relationships / flings the last year. Meet someone at a bar/club you like the look of, give them your business card, next day they look you up on Facebook to find more about you, like the sound of what they see and become more attracted to you than they would just from an initial meet-up. Its totally helped accelerate things, eg people are more comfortable they know me well despite it being 1st/2nd date.