Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

broadband for poor students

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiii!

if anyone can help that would be great

we're looking for a decent internet provider for our new house for next year at the minute madasafish seem to have the best deal but if anyone has any reccomendations that would be great.

we need it for 12 months

also what do other people use and is it any good?

we are clueless!!

thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Will you have a BT landline?

If so, O2 is £7.50 p/m for an O2 mobile customer ;)

+£10.50 for BT landline = £18 p/m.

I do work for them, but I'm also a customer and the service is top notch.
    NTL usually do good deals for students. for two years running ours was about £10 a month. they had a stand in morrissons...
    Or how about getting a normal £25/month line and split it with however many housemates you have via router?
    Depending on who you are sharing with I'd get the money upfront and agree a policy for sharing the internet - all it takes is for one person to download 24/7 to ruin the internet for everyone.
    lol DG, when you have 8 people on the same line downloading 24/7 that's when things get interesting, used to be riots in the house with people unplugging cables and rebooting routers in the middle of the night. to be fair i did hog a lot of bandwidth, but then noone was complaining when i had all the latest films and series so it's a thankless job lol.
    Only 2 other people who are close friends so think I am safe on the DL front! I've heard bad things about Tiscali...hmm not sure what the phone line is actually. Not sure if it is wired for BT..one of my friends might know. Written down I have:

Internet: This house has a hard wired cat5 network for shared broadband internet access

Not sure if that would be any help?

I really am clueless and naive when it comes to this.

As we only want it for 12 months most of the deals look like they will be £10pm which seems really good especially between 3 people

what we are worried about is hidden charges and reeeally slow internet. with the phone line we are only going to have it for incoming calls.
    Virgin are cheapest and fastest. You don't need to worry about the net being slow when you're all using it. You do need to worry about untrained staff and indian call centres though. It can be a nightmare
    kangoo wrote: »
    Virgin are cheapest and fastest. You don't need to worry about the net being slow when you're all using it. You do need to worry about untrained staff and indian call centres though. It can be a nightmare

x2 used virgin for years never had any problems
    with the phone line we are only going to have it for incoming calls.

im not 100% but i think this will cause issues if you're intending on using the phone line for adsl (majority of providers use dsl)
    z- wrote: »
    x2 used virgin for years never had any problems

Lucky you, we've been with them 2 years and ntl for 2 years before that (and my boyfriend had a line in a different house for 2 years. Had nothing but problems with them, and know people the same. Although i know people who've been fine

We've had our services constantly cut off for no reason - all we get is an apology and 72 hours til it gets back on, duplicate bills after we've already paid, technical problems and been told we weren't getting charged for calls to tech support cos it was their fault, and then a massive bill, hung up on constantly when we tried to cancel a line and they chased my boyfriend for 6 months worth of bills long after he'd cancelled his account. When we got our virgin set up box there was no remote, scart or power cable and it took 20, yes TWENTY calls to get a remote sent out. From my experience the service is good until something goes wrong and then you can't get it fixed for love nor money. Unless you get through to the scottish call centre, they're lovely up there :)

But its fast and cheap so we love it :thumb:
    aol have decent contractless offers the min, unlimited phone calls to landlines and 8meg connect n free wireless router! 4.99 for 3 months then 12.99 after
    ^ So there's no minimum term on that deal?
    rachie004 wrote: »
    :yes: for them being cheapest and fastest

:no: to the undertrained staff and indian call centres though! I've called virgin SOO many times in the last few weeks with me moving house and I haven't spoken to anyone with even the remotest Indian accent. Everyone I've spoken to has been really helpful and nice.

I :heart: virgin

Why do we always get the bollocks ones!! Seriously I rang once cos the internet was cut off for no reason and the woman just kept saying 'and how are you being today?' constantly and didn't help at all!
    ^ So there's no minimum term on that deal?

yup, theres a 30 quid connection fee at the start but thats just to cover them as theres no contract

costs 5er more if you're unfortunate enough to live in a non-llu area!
    kangoo wrote: »
    Why do we always get the bollocks ones!! Seriously I rang once cos the internet was cut off for no reason and the woman just kept saying 'and how are you being today?' constantly and didn't help at all!

its all according if you're virgin cable or non-cable. rachie is non cable which is where i work and we're based in wales

cable support is mostly offshore unfortunately
    I had cable support once, I told him what was wrong but the stuff he made me do was ridiculous. Anyway, that's a whole different story...

But based on what you want, just go for the cheapest, if you check out moneysavingexpert they have a guide for getting the cheapest broadband. Also you can haggle if you get a package or something, we managed to get our internet for £10 a month instead of £25 a month.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I had cable support once, I told him what was wrong but the stuff he made me do was ridiculous. Anyway, that's a whole different story...

Rich has a story very similar to that. The man at Orange broadband tried to tell him to check all the things he'd already checked, even though he'd rung up and said "look, I'm in IT, I have done all the things you're going to get me to do, this is the problem". It's because they have a script and stuff.
    Franki wrote: »
    Rich has a story very similar to that. The man at Orange broadband tried to tell him to check all the things he'd already checked, even though he'd rung up and said "look, I'm in IT, I have done all the things you're going to get me to do, this is the problem". It's because they have a script and stuff.
    Yeah, they can't really miss stuff out. Otherwise the one time something simple like reseting the router or checking the phone for dial tone is missed, it will end up taking a lot longer to be fixed.
    Yeah, they can't really miss stuff out. Otherwise the one time something simple like reseting the router or checking the phone for dial tone is missed, it will end up taking a lot longer to be fixed.
    I know. It's just annoying because Rich knows to do all the things they get them to do on their script and he's just like, "I've DONE all that, THIS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS" but they won't listen to him until they've gone through their list and then they say, "oh, this is the problem" and he's like...yeh, I told you that when you picked up the phone :yeees:.