Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Post at uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Are you able to recieve mail at uni? Or do you just have to wait til you go home to get your post?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We did, there were post boxes for each flat of our block. Anything bigger went to the porter's lodge and they'd put up a list so you could collect it.
    Every hall I've come across has had some kind of system, pigeon hole type things usually.

Worth being aware of some banks won't send stuff to uni addresses for security reasons. A lot of people find it easier to keep home as an official address and get things sent on.
    Every hall I've come across has had some kind of system, pigeon hole type things usually.

Worth being aware of some banks won't send stuff to uni addresses for security reasons. A lot of people find it easier to keep home as an official address and get things sent on.
    Also, I heard that changing your address with your bank a lot changes your credit rating for the worse (grrrr) so I'd just get your parents to forward stuff rather than waiting until you get home.
    Yeah I'll leave bank stuff to go home, plus I can get to it online anyway. Everything else can come to uni then!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My uni had posting things like mentioned above, but if your staying close to home or going home every so often I wouldnt bother, its not worth the risk or owt getting nicked.
    I got lots of post at uni. I just kept my bank statements to my mum's house and then later changed it to my Dad's house as I thought it would help my credit history not to keep changing it when I moved around at uni. Not sure if it really does though. And lots of students don't have another base other than their uni address anyway. My mum used to forward my mail and then when I switched to having it go to my Dad's he just used to let them build up in a drawer until I went to see him (about once or twice a year!)

At my uni when I lived in Halls they would keep anything that looked important, valuable, packages, magazines, registered post etc and put it behind the reception and then you'd have to go collect it with college ID and sign for it. Regular mail went in the boxes that you could collect at anytime without signing for it. But it was good e.g. if ordering lots of expensive books or whatever online that they didn't just put these items with the rest of the post.
    Depends what kind of accommodation you're at. In halls, they will sometimes give you a key to your own mailbox, which can normally be found in the main reception area or at the entrance to your block of the hall.

If it's too big to fit in there, they'll keep it at the reception area. When I was at halls, (not for very long, admittedly, but the point stands) I had to show a form of ID to the staff, such as your student ID card, driving licence or something similar, in order to get the item.
    I'm going to be in a flat thats onsite.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm going to be in a flat thats onsite.

I would be gobsmacked if you didn't have a postal system.

Will your flat have a postcode? If so, you will be able to get post.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    At my uni when I lived in Halls they would keep anything that looked important, valuable, packages, magazines, registered post etc and put it behind the reception and then you'd have to go collect it with college ID and sign for it. Regular mail went in the boxes that you could collect at anytime without signing for it. But it was good e.g. if ordering lots of expensive books or whatever online that they didn't just put these items with the rest of the post.

Same :)
    Our uni postal system is CRAP!

I've lost so much stuff through it, even recorded delievery items. Grr!