Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

worrys about handing 7-8 grand for a training course

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ive been accepted by a company called redwood futures to train as a plumber, my concern is that what if i hand them over money i loan of my bank and they cant provide me with a job like they say they can, its 10 week course but as im doing it weekends itll be longer, after that im told they will find me a placement getting paid 30 odd grand a yr as a plumber but then still train up with them to achieve corgi registration...

they say they have company's waiting for people.

In the leaflet i was handed at the interview theres a section saying they advise us to keep our current job and apply for at least 15 vacancies a week in our job search, counteracting what they said about leaving the job down to them and i just worry about learning.

Im being skeptical, they also made me feel like i got no chance saying they only need 7 people but surprise surprise i was one of the lucky ones.

On the positive side this could be the best thing ive done in my life if it is all true and if they place me after training ill be the happiest man in the world with a good trade behind me... it would be well worth getting a bank loan for if it leads to a plumbing job :)

Has anyone else been through similar schemes?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Does your local college do plumbing courses? I know my local tech college does...
  • Options
    i actually think that if youve got a gut feeling that somethings not quite right, then you should listen to that instinct.

we have our gut feelings for a reason and a fool ignores them
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Does your local college do plumbing courses? I know my local tech college does...

it does, but the city and guilds 6129 part time takes 2 years with no job placement at the end which is why this is high priced, but leads to a job in a shorter space of time so worth it... if true!

they have a website http://www.redwoodfutures.com and their office seems convincing, i looked online for some sort of info but cant find no one whos reported them so i doubt there fraudulent.

I wanna go for it... hmmm :chin:
  • Options
    I think it looks dodgy. We work training people in Manual Trades in my office and I wouldn't trust something that says you can be trained as a plumber in 10 weeks for that amount of money.
  • Options
    ask them for references from real past students, then follow them up. sounds a bit dodgy though mate.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Seaweed,

You might find theinformation on the Learn Direct website useful.

You need to make sure the course is registered with City and Guilds, otherwise you aren't getting industry recognised qualifications: and you may find it difficult to get work.

If you don't want to go down the route of doing a college-based course, then you could try getting an apprenticeship.

Personally I'd always have a concern about people offering front-loaded opportunities: that's people offering you guaranteed income in return for paying them money up front. For a start, employers don't choose their workers based solely on their qualifications; so how can a company guarantee just because you've done their course you'll get a job.

Good luck...

Olly
  • Options
    It took my dad nowhere near 2 years to get into plumbing. And nowhere near to 'upgrade' to gas engineer. And getting a job is easy as because there's a big shortage of trained people. My dad was self employed but stopped because he couldn't cope with the hours, earning £2k a week but nearly every day. Worked for one of the insurance companies so he only worked 9-5, much more manageable.