Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

can't access hotmail / msn grr!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay this one has stumped me, I switched ISP a few months ago and since then have not been able to access hotmail or messenger from my desktop, can't even ping the sites but everything else is okay. no problem with either from my laptop which is using the same router / ISP so I assumed it was a software error.....well I just reformatted my C: after a crappy virus so it is a fresh install, and i still can't ping hotmail or msn sites! wtf is going on, any ideas? :confused:

ETA: both DNS server address configs are the same as well, only difference i noticed was that work laptop has a primary dns suffix configured.....so i added that to my desktop, now i can ping www.hotmail.com but it still won't load in a web browser, this is uber annoying.

Comments

• Options
    what isp are you with?

i work for one and i know we had an issue quite a few months back where our filters were blocking msn/hotmail and once we'd repaired it our customers could access again

i would advise to contact your ISPs tech support as they may know of a nationwide issue or a temporary fix
  • Options
    they're called telecom plus, parents also have them and no problems when i'm back home there, i'm sure it's something to do with the dns config because my laptop works fine as well it's just the desktop, i just can't work out what. so much for having a networking degree lol.
  • Options
    have you tried a different browser, such as Firefox instead of IE?

i'll see what else I can find out to try and find some tips for you :)