Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

texting an american phone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so im doing an interview with a guy from America who's going to be in the UK tomorrow.
he said he doesnt think he can receive calls but he knows he can recieve and send texts so to text him to arrange a time. this is the number he gave (ive blanked out the last 3 digits!

(US) 313.303.3***

so what do i type into my mobile - + something and then 313 etc... also, is it right that the whole number pretty much has only 2 different numbers?

Comments

• Options
    Ok, so I'm pretty sure you just call:

001 313 303 3 ***

The 001 is the US international dialing prefix.
  • Options
    Type into your phone +0013133033*** and it should send ok. The number is strange however in the USA a lot of numbers are picked on the word that is spelt out, eg 1800-FLY TWA or 1800-EAT SUB e.t.c. so it could be that is why the numbers are weird. I'd have a look but my phone has a QWERTY keypad on it so I can't.
  • Options
    I'd have said from a mobile use +13133033***
  • Options
    hmm thanks... i'll try all of those and hope one works! if not, would asking in a travel agents be helpful? is that the sort of thing they'd know?!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Start with +1 or 001, not both. + acts as 00.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Type into your phone +0013133033*** and it should send ok. The number is strange however in the USA a lot of numbers are picked on the word that is spelt out, eg 1800-FLY TWA or 1800-EAT SUB e.t.c. so it could be that is why the numbers are weird. I'd have a look but my phone has a QWERTY keypad on it so I can't.

you don't use "+" and "00" together its either +1 or 001