Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Giving stuff to charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to give a lot of stuff away to charity - mainly clothes but I also have loads of computer equipment that works perfectly that I no longer need like CD ROM drives, cases, power supplies, etc, plus things like old TV's that work, VCR's, Tapes, etc

I really don't like the idea of dumping stuff that works in a dump yard, any suggestions?

Most of the stuff is in the loft as well so I don't want to use any of those schemes where people pick and choose what they want cos it would be a lot of effort to take things down from the loft and then back up again.

Comments

• Options
    You can give electricals to charity shops, but you have to check with them first because a lot of them can't accept them (it's a safety thing). They may be able to tell you which shops in the area will take them though.

Clothes and tapes can go to any of them.
  • Options
    freecycle :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Also check if they take VHSs. We went to a local charity shop with tons of videos that we don't use and they wouldn't take them because they don't sell.

Also double check things like toys. Regulary there is a sign in the shop saying they are not accepting any more stuffed toys. Again, space is an issue.

Oh, things like sofas need to have the fire resistant tag in them too.
  • Options
    I take all my old clothes to Oxfam e.t.c. Electricals I either give to friends/family who need them for parts or I take them to the tip. I'm yet to find a charity shop that'll take something.

I could sell it but it's not worth the time and effort.
  • Options
    I've given up on dropping things into charity shops, because the ones near me are quite picky about what they do and don't accept, so I now wait for the bags to come through the door and fill them and wait for them to be collected!
  • Options
    I know someone on these boards that needs to give a battery powered toy horse away ... :p

There are a number of charities that take working PC equipment for Africa etc. I can find their names if you like ... ?
  • Options
    Depending on where you live you might be better off trying to freecycle your stuff than giving it to a charity shop. The charity shops have a whole load of stuff they won't take, but give stuff away for nothing and people will queue at your door for your old crap.