Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

doctor patient confidentiality

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
bit of a boring one...

i rang up the doctors for the results of my blood test today, and was told 'the doctor would like to see you' so i made an appointment for tomorrow to go and see whats the matter. the thing is im pretty sure its not too serious and its that im anaemic, which has happened a few times before.

last time i was anaemic, i rang up for the results of my test and the receptionist told me, over the phone what was problem was, told me to take iron tablets and said i didnt need to go and see the doctor unless i didnt understand what she had told me.

i was just wondering if its changed now because that was 5 or 6 years ago and are the receptionists not allowed to say it over the phone anymore? its just made me slightly worried that he wants to see me, it sounds more serious!
ta.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    at my surgery the receptionist isnt allowed to tell us anything, so this could be the case here. hope all is ok xx
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I had the scary phone call that you just mentioned and I was just anaemic.

They could've tightened their belts a bit at your surgery or just changed protocol slightly.
    At my Dr's it depends on the receptionsist (:rolleyes: ) but most places won't tell you over the phone to maintain confidentiality, which is a good thing as to them you could basically be anyone phoning and asking!
    My surgery only calls re blood tests if the Dr needs to see you, if the results are fine they don't contact you at all. The receptionist doesnt discuss the details over the phone but books an appointment with the Dr no matter how small the issue is.
    i was just wondering if its changed now because that was 5 or 6 years ago and are the receptionists not allowed to say it over the phone anymore? its just made me slightly worried that he wants to see me, it sounds more serious!
    ta.

It doesn't always mean it's serious. I had a blood test done last year and got a letter asking me to make an appointment and got told that e results came back clear. Saying that, I had to have a different test done last year and got a letter with the reults (ish) adn got asked to have the test done again as they weren't 100% sure.
    Generally places have got tighter over discussing things over the phone, both for confidentiality reasons and for accuracy. Reduces any misunderstandings over the phone.
    I had the scary phone call that you just mentioned and I was just anaemic.

They could've tightened their belts a bit at your surgery or just changed protocol slightly.

yeah, im hoping its just that really. i know it most likely will be.

thanks for everyones replies :D made me feel a bit better, i mean, i rang up for the results cos they told me to two weeks after, im sure if it was something mega serious they'd be contacting me.