Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Euro 2008

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Can't wait for this now.

Such an open tournament, booked the first week off work so I can watch the day games as well.

Germany, Croatia or Portugal to win it I think.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Germany for the win.
  • Options
    I'm supporting Spain.
  • Options
    It's set up perfectly, Euro's usually tend to be better than World Cup's IMHO. It's looking really, really strong this time round.

Favourites:

Portugal, Italy, Spain

Challengers:

France, Germany, Netherlands

Dark Horses:

Turkey, Switzerland, Russia, Croatia

No Chance:

Austria, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Czech Rep, Greece
  • Options
    I always liked the Germans so want them to win.

Spain are like England, never show up for the big tournies. Between Italy and Portugal if you ask me, I don't know how you can put the Czech Republic as no hopers, they still have some great players and usually do well in the Euros.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I always liked the Germans so want them to win.

Same, I support them as much as I do England due to family connections....and I've always just liked their players.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Greece for it again! :p
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well i drew Sweden as my team in the work sweep stake, but i personally think they have no chance! I'd go with france to win it personally!
  • Options
    We should do a sweep on here again, like we did for the World Cup last time, with a prize for the winner.
  • Options
    I'm not a huge follower of football - so someone want to explain why England aint in the Tournament?

I thought we have more footie teams then half the world put together ...why is it England can't even qualify?

Lack of a string manager? bad coaching? too many over paid players who were out on the town the night before?

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I'm not a huge follower of football - so someone want to explain why England aint in the Tournament?

I thought we have more footie teams then half the world put together ...why is it England can't even qualify?

Lack of a string manager? bad coaching? too many over paid players who were out on the town the night before?

Any thoughts?

It's a combination of our players not playing as a team, and most of the english leagues being filled with foreign stars.
  • Options
    Germany for me! Deutshce STAHL!
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Got drawn Germany in the sweep-stakes at work. Gotta be happy with that!! :D
  • Options
    i'm hoping for some quality matches like Spain vs Yugoslavia was. best match i've ever seen.

and maybe some Holland vs Portugal esque matches
  • Options
    Anyone got any predictions for the first two games tomorrow? Both from Group A
    Switzerland v. Czech Republic and Portugal vs. Turkey

i think Czech Republic with beat the Swiss quite easily, and id say the Portuguese will just edge the game over Turkey.
  • Options
    Great game by Holland and humiliation for Italy. Great
  • Options
    Italy were well and truly rape, and also i do believe it was an offside goal, but i think the linesman thought that the italian that was rolling around on the floor behind the line, was in play?

Its good how 2 out of the three teams i have in various sweepstakes around work, have all won so far :)
  • Options
    cracking game, esp after watching france vs romania i nearly fell asleep....lucatoni, del piero and pirlo all had decent chances to be fair, i prefer holland's style though when they're 3-0 up they're still going for no 4....
  • Options
    I can't believe I missed this match! I was going to watch it but my friend dragged me out and we sat outdoors at a café listening to Dutch fans shouting and cheering inside the bar next doors! It sounded like fun.

Those results made me grin a lot. I'm no fan of Italy and the France Romania results were also amusing, even if the match was most certainly not.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Italy were well and truly rape, and also i do believe it was an offside goal, but i think the linesman thought that the italian that was rolling around on the floor behind the line, was in play?

Probably, but I think van Nistelrooy should've had a penalty before then anyway. Swings and roundabouts. Holland absolutely destroyed them. I'd forgotten how good Wesley Sneijder was. But Italy brought nothing to the game. The sat back, but had no-one quick enough to counter with. What sort of tactics are those? Also LOL at France. They were shit too. I reckon the Dutch defence could struggle against a better attacking team though. They'll have to win every match 4-3 instead.

Also, the Wankdorf stadium. **sniggers**
  • Options
    Very entertaining game, Holland were good but I don't think the Italians were that shite either, they just got beat on a good day for Holland! The 2nd and 3rd goals came from excellent counter attacking footie after Italy had just had excellent efforts cleared from the line, 1 by a defender another by a good save fron van der sar.

The first goal...well.... I thought he might have seen the guy off the pitch and thought he was still on it.....but apparently it was a correct decision, something I didn't realise, the guy cos he fell off the pitch is still classed as in play, so according to the link below the decision was correct

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/7445476.stm
  • Options
    Nice work Germany and Holland!
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Sweden looked pretty lively too last night. And Spain did very well.
    Hard tournament to call at this stage!
  • Options
    I've seen every game until now.

actually no, I am not watching the one right now.

supporting portugal.
  • Options
    The first goal...well.... I thought he might have seen the guy off the pitch and thought he was still on it.....but apparently it was a correct decision, something I didn't realise, the guy cos he fell off the pitch is still classed as in play, so according to the link below the decision was correct

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/7445476.stm

Yeah I read about that. Definitely one of those that's technically correct, but certainly not in the spirit in which the rule is intended. If a players been knocked about 4 feet off the pitch and is lying down injured, then he shouldn't be able to play attackers onside, or be expected to ask for permission to be off the pitch from the ref, who's probably more focused on the ball itself anyway. That's one of the situation where we would expect to be glad to have human referees who can use a bit of common sense. But apparently not.
  • Options
    Yeah I read about that. Definitely one of those that's technically correct, but certainly not in the spirit in which the rule is intended. If a players been knocked about 4 feet off the pitch and is lying down injured, then he shouldn't be able to play attackers onside, or be expected to ask for permission to be off the pitch from the ref, who's probably more focused on the ball itself anyway. That's one of the situation where we would expect to be glad to have human referees who can use a bit of common sense. But apparently not.
    Hmmmmmm I'm unsure with what you have said, I agree we need common sense at times but with this rule it would be hard.
    You know about all the cheats that are about, was the guy injured who was laying on the floor as if he'd being shot?? No he got up and was ok, just like getting knocked over but staying on the pitch. The rules there so players can't just step off the pitch and call offside, you and I both know full well that if the players knew the officials had to decide whether they were injured or not they would be throwing themselves off the pitch clutching every bone in their body trying to deceive the ref.
  • Options
    Croatia through already. They were my outside bet for tournament winners at the start. Although looking back through this thread, I realise I didn't actually post that, so you'll all think I'm lying now. :p

ETA: Apparently, they're not qualified quite yet.

ETA: Now they have.
  • Options
    I've been in the fanmile today, in the inner city of vienna. seeing all those broken german faces made me happy :)