Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friends and Unconditional Love

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ohh I'm not entirely sure how to put it but i've been thinking a bit recently about loving friends unconditionaly.

For example on of my friends recently got pregnant as the result of a one night stand on a year away. She is coming back next week and said that whilst going away on exciting trips where you might meet new people was amazing there was nothing quite like coming back home to people who loved her unconditionally.....

Plus i've another friend who i love to bits but who does sometimes act like a bit of an idiot though i guess never towards me - who i think i will always love unconditionally.

Anyway i just wondered if its just my friends or if others have the same relationship with thiers

Comments

• Options
    i dont love any of my friends unconditionally. if they totally fucked me over then i wouldnt want to be friends with them any more.

Saying that i have one friend whos fucked me over pretty bad a couple of times and although it has ruined the friendship and we're not close at all anymore, i do still care about her and think about her for some reason.

The only ones who i can imagine still loving no matter WHAT they did are my partner, my children and my mum.
    They could kill people and id still love them
  • Options
    I think I agree with the above. I wouldn't say I love any of my friends unconditionally. I'd like to think I practically do, but not completely. The only people I love unconditionally are my close family; my mum, dad and brother. There's nothing they could do that would stop me loving them, and I know there's nothing I could do that would stop them loving me.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This is a really interesting topic. :yes:

Wyetry, based on what you've written, I think you should read Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett. It's one of my favourite books. Here's the blurb:
    What happens when the person who is your family is someone you aren't bound to by blood? What happens when the person you promise to love and to honor for the rest of your life is not your lover, but your best friend? In Truth & Beauty, her frank and startlingly intimate first work of nonfiction, Ann Patchett shines a fresh, revealing light on the world of women's friendships and shows us what it means to stand together.

Ann Patchett was in romantic relationships with men during her friendship with Lucy Grealy, but the sense of the unconditional love she had for her is quite remarkable.
  • Options
    I love my g/f, best friend and close-family unconditionally.
  • Options
    I love and will love my best friend unconditionally. We never fight and the little ones we have had aren't ones that will rip us apart cos that's who we are.

We've been besties since we were 6. I'm now nearly 20 and she's 20.

I can't say I have any others I would love unconditionally methinks. Maybe one other, but we haven't been friends long enough to say so yet
  • Options
    love or whatever it is not like unconditional, everything in this world is a result of "give and take", but sometimes we dont understand what we are giving and taking due to lack of our knowledge about certain things, and this unfortunate situation is with us because we dont know how our brain work.
  • Options
    I don't think I love anyone unconditionally.
  • Options
    I used to think I loved my best friend unconditionally but since he's been to uni he's pretty much neglected a lot of his old friends and I barely even speak to him anymore. I do still love him but he's been so rubbish recently. I don't think I love anybody unconditionally, actually. If they fuck me over, they're history. Even my family tbh.
  • Options
    I love my best friend unconditonally, we are stupidly close and even when we have fallen out it just makes us stronger.
  • Options
    I suppose there isn't something like unconditional love, but i know that the conditions have to be really really dire, to fall out with my buds.
  • Options
    i love my friends unconditionally, we'll have our differences but we all have quite intense friendships
  • Options
    My best friend is on 'a level' with me. I don't know if it's a guy thing but even if he has to be all lovey with his gf and she clings to him a bit, when I had a falling out with her (basically she was drunk and looking for a fight and started teasing me but I wasn't in the mood so told her to fuck off lol) he didn't take sides at least like a lot of guys would, he just said to me 'you know what shes like, she just needs to have an argument every now and again and she'll be happy again'. In retrospect he was probably saying similar stuff about me to her but still... I know I can depend on him.

I reckon it pretty much is unconditional love... the girl he is going out with is my ex :p and there was no bad blood between us at all. Despite her attempts to stir things up :mad:. But we're all good friends now...
  • Options
    I don't think i could love my friends unconditionally to be honest - or not the majority of them!

A couple of my friends possibly - but those know the sort of boundaries i have in my life etc and wouldn't break them.

I've loved partners unconditionally and that has got me nowhere, except being cheated on etc.

I have loved friends unconditionally in the past, but no longer do so for most friends after being screwed over by some mates too!