Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Macavity says - blame oil prices on anyone but me

Not quite, but he might as well have done. The Beeb reports: "Gordon Brown has urged oil industry leaders to come up with ideas for improving supplies as fuel costs soar. The government has announced moves to increase North Sea oil production, but Energy Minister Malcolm Wicks said they would have no impact on fuel prices. Lorry drivers have staged protests against rising costs and Labour MPs have urged ministers to rethink increases in both petrol and road tax. The PM, who met industry bosses [today], warned that high oil prices were here to stay." Click here for more details.

I never thought I'd say this, but Broon has got one thing right. The oil industry has much to answer for at this time. It's very much in their interests that oil prices remain high, on the grounds that this brings vast wealth to oil-producing nations. Saudi Arabia must be raking it in at the moment. However, I somehow doubt that the members of oil cartel OPEC, and the rest of the oil industry is going to listen to our pathetic joke of a Prime Minister - especially when he fails to mention a number of facts. Not when he has recently been shedding crocodile tears about how he "understands" and is "listening" to people who are complaining about high fuel prices.

As always, Macavity sticks to the script prepared by his vast team of Downing Street spin doctors and presents no new ideas. If he's serious about helping out the motorist, and helping out the country at that, he could take the advice of the respected accountants Grant Thornton. They say that because the Government is raking it in due to high oil prices, they can cut the price of fuel duty by 9p a litre immediately. Here's the link for that, if anyone wants to read more. If he wants to become a little bit more popular with the electorate, he could do well to heed this advice.

Or will he continue to listen blindly to metropolitan types who live in cities such as London, where there is an abundant supply of public transport available? Or another group who only ever think about number one - politicians such as himself who have never driven a car in their lives?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    They say that because the Government is raking it in due to high oil prices, they can cut the price of fuel duty by 9p a litre immediately. Here's the link for that, if anyone wants to read more. If he wants to become a little bit more popular with the electorate, he could do well to heed this advice.

as much as we agree normally :p i bed to differ, the government spends £31billion a year in interet payments on it's borrowing, if that windfall from rising oil prices was used to lower the national deby, the better
  • Options
    as much as we agree normally :p i bed to differ, the government spends £31billion a year in interet payments on it's borrowing, if that windfall from rising oil prices was used to lower the national deby, the better
    How about a windfall tax on oil firms, then? They certainly don't seem to be feeling the pinch from the credit crunch!
  • Options
    The Middle East might be raking it in at the moment, but the vast majority of their wealth comes from oil. With most countries in the West beginning to reduce their total reliance on oil, in a few decades those countries are going to seriously regret ripping us off once we've converted over to renewables. Then where will they get their money from?
  • Options
    It isnt anywhere near as simple as just asking the companies to give us more. New fields take a long time to come online and they are massively expensive to set up.

Yes the Saudis could invest billions to give us more oil, but strangely they are reluctant to spend lots of money to see the price go down.

High prices are here to stay, and in many ways they are actually a good thing. The profits made are largely put into finding all the oil there is (good thing because alternatives seem a long way off). And it means that alternatives are getting relatively cheaper so they will get investment.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Yes the Saudis could invest billions to give us more oil, but strangely they are reluctant to spend lots of money to see the price go down.

:yes:

.. and with less money, they wouldn't be able to buy weapons from Britain. :yeees:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    .. and with less money, they wouldn't be able to buy weapons from Britain. :yeees:

They clearly need those jets for...the princes to ride around in and look big and tough.
  • Options
    Budda - don't like your new avatar. Go back to the old one...
  • Options
    Budda - don't like your new avatar. Go back to the old one...

I cant, I got rid of it, **Helen** then thought it would be funny to give me one of the strange choices available because shes so funny.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The Middle East might be raking it in at the moment, but the vast majority of their wealth comes from oil. With most countries in the West beginning to reduce their total reliance on oil, in a few decades those countries are going to seriously regret ripping us off once we've converted over to renewables. Then where will they get their money from?

China/India and the other growing asian economies?
  • Options
    There was an excellent article in the Times last week explaining that the current price of oil has nothing to do with the production or consumption levels and everything to do with the fact that the banks are investing in oil as a result of the credit crunch and the weak dollar.

Speculative investment is forcing oil prices through the roof as investors seek to make profit from bonds issued against oil. It works in exactly the same way as the gold boom, or the property boom, or the dotcom boom.

Higher prices are here to stay, but the current level of $130/barrel is due to speculative investment and not because of consumption. People are making money issuing bonds against oil stocks and this is driving up prices as everyone clamours to make money on oil bonds.

According to the investment bank the Lehman Brothers the oil market is overpriced by up to a third because of these investors.

Source
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

How the hell do you reckon the middle east are ripping us off?
    Oil has to be gotten from under the ground ...under the sea ...it has to be transported in thousands of miles of pipes ,,,big fuck off ships ...road tankers. Huge investments and running costs and after all that ...it ends up being sold to you for around thirty pence a litre.
    The government then slap on their massive ninety pence per litre tax.
    o explain to me again how the producers in the middle east are ripping us off selling THEIR product?
    It's a hell of a lot cheaper than beer which is vegatable water.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    There was an excellent article in the Times last week explaining that the current price of oil has nothing to do with the production or consumption levels and everything to do with the fact that the banks are investing in oil as a result of the credit crunch and the weak dollar.

Speculative investment is forcing oil prices through the roof as investors seek to make profit from bonds issued against oil. It works in exactly the same way as the gold boom, or the property boom, or the dotcom boom.

Higher prices are here to stay, but the current level of $130/barrel is due to speculative investment and not because of consumption. People are making money issuing bonds against oil stocks and this is driving up prices as everyone clamours to make money on oil bonds.

According to the investment bank the Lehman Brothers the oil market is overpriced by up to a third because of these investors.

Source

Don't worry, it'll be fine: according to conventional economics the rise in price will lower consumption, balance supply/demand, and the markets will clear...:nervous:

;)
  • Options
    You forgot to incorporate elasticity into that analysis...
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    Don't worry, it'll be fine: according to conventional economics the rise in price will lower consumption, balance supply/demand, and the markets will clear...:nervous:

;)

Consumption will hardly be effected.
  • Options
    Consumption hasn't changed for about the last 18 months. Consumption has nothing to do with the high price. The high price won't come down when consumption comes down (it already has in the US) it will only come down when the investment value lowers.

The investment market will correct itself, of that I have no doubt, I just hope it does it sooner rather than later. Could be a while whilst the dollar remains so low.

Conventional economics is a bit crap a lot of the time...they still haven't got their heads around the basic boom/bust.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Consumption hasn't changed for about the last 18 months. Consumption has nothing to do with the high price. The high price won't come down when consumption comes down (it already has in the US) it will only come down when the investment value lowers.

The investment market will correct itself, of that I have no doubt, I just hope it does it sooner rather than later. Could be a while whilst the dollar remains so low.

Conventional economics is a bit crap a lot of the time...they still haven't got their heads around the basic boom/bust.

In case there was any confusion; I was being sardonic in that analysis.

Economists are always behind in this kind of cycle. Each one is as nuanced and idiosyncratic as the preceeding example, which is easy to observe with any basic understanding of economic history.

Most economists know this full well, but their livelyhood depends on being able to sell their skills as much as the next person. Hence they offer answers when they are well aware that there are none.

Most contemporary economics is comprised of articles of faith or mindless dogma rather than science.
  • Options
    british gas made 90 billion pounds profit 2 years ago last year they made 590 billion pounds so go figure ! does anybody want to wager what this years profit will be ? something like 1000 billion ?

if the goverment wants to enhance public transport why not reduce the tax on fuel for public transport it costs me more to travel from wellingborough to plymouth by public transport than by car and its a VERY tedious journey so guess which option i choose and yes I hate doing it (to the environment) by why should I take 50 % longer and 50 % more cost and a lot of hassle plus having to wander through a city I don't know ?
  • Options
    british gas made 90 billion pounds profit 2 years ago last year they made 590 billion pounds so go figure ! does anybody want to wager what this years profit will be ? something like 1000 billion ?

if the goverment wants to enhance public transport why not reduce the tax on fuel for public transport it costs me more to travel from wellingborough to plymouth by public transport than by car and its a VERY tedious journey so guess which option i choose and yes I hate doing it (to the environment) by why should I take 50 % longer and 50 % more cost and a lot of hassle plus having to wander through a city I don't know ?

Are those figures real?
  • Options
    Are those figures real?
    They can't be. The biggest banks in the UK make around £10billion per year, and they're the businesses which contribute the most in corporation tax in this country. Whilst British Gas certainly is raking it in, they're definitely not making £50billion per year!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    They can't be. The biggest banks in the UK make around £10billion per year, and they're the businesses which contribute the most in corporation tax in this country. !
    Imagine that!
    Ten billion!
    It's reckoned that in the UK we spend between seven and ten billion quid a year just on cannabis ....just to put it in perspective.
  • Options
    Are those figures real?

erm go back to the news a couple of months ago ok maybe it was million I might be confused there all I'm saying is from one year to the next they made an increase in profit of about 500 % now I don't think they suddenly sold 5 times as much gas do you ?
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7256096.stm

from what I was told by someone centrica the parent company rank the price of gas up by reselling it from one subsidery company to another so officialy the gas is sold on in reality they get the profit (as they are all part of the same group) and the overall price goes up. oh and wait for it what comes at the end of the article those magical and all anger quenching words about investing in alternative sources of energy pft when will they stop making alternative energy methods look like a burden, I live near a wind farm I beleive its managed by a private company and to hell I sure don't think they would run it if they were making a loss they're in the business to make a profit just like BG but BG need millions and millions to do what others do as a standalone company !
  • Options
    and i still can't understand why they are lying their asses off and getting away with it. there was not a rise in price by 15 % but by 45-50 % I got my gas bill split into 2 one part saying it was 4.2p/KW the other line saying it was now 6.2p/KW what is it can't anyone do simple maths anymore ?

I got a letter saying that my electric was going from 16p/KW to 23p/KW again that is an increase of 44 % why on earth do they get away with it ? they are telling its 15 % 17 % but its total bullshit and the gov sit there on thier asses and let them do it to us. my spring bill is just as much as my winter bill, I turned my heating off ages ago having got cavity wall insulation !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4684886.stm