Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An American point of view.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Carrying a can of pepper spray is illegal in Britain. Fighting off intruders into your home is illegal. Taking pictures on the street is illegal. Eating a sandwich in your car is illegal. Shouting at criminal gangs is illegal. Saying certain words like ‘homosexual’ , is illegal. Children horseing around is illegal. Putting a bottle in the trash is illegal. Smoking is illegal. Criticizing religion is illegal. Preaching religion is illegal (unless it is radical Islam apparently).

Everything conceivable is illegal so that you cannot turn and scratch your bum without breaking some Imperial Law of the feudal elite. So what do you think? They have completely stripped Brits of their right to self-defense, while they have armed legions of criminals to take the streets away from citizens. There is no other way to view it. Britain is an Orwellian Masonic Neofeudal Tyranny on steroids.

:D

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Preaching religion is illegal (unless it is radical Islam apparently).

I don't agree with this. You can be a hateful BNP voting christian. But if you promote hateful Islam you get house arrest or the CIA make you disapeer to Eastern Europe on flights to detention centres.

But yeah, Britain sucks generally for liberty. Yet we condem Saddam and invade him. The US is slowly going the same way apart from self defense. They can now arrest anyone too for no real reason, and spy on us all.

The Liberty we are apparently going to give the Mid East isn't even availible at home. I love this state of affairs. It makes me want to move out of this country.
  • Options
    Only one of those is actually always illegal and thats the pepper spray. A couple of the others might be illegal in certain areas, but most are definitely legal.
  • Options
    are any of those illegal?
  • Options
    are any of those illegal?

Yep, the pepper spray - its considered a dangerous weapon.

Smoking is illegal in a closed public space, and eating a big sandwich while driving might get you a charge for dangerous driving.
  • Options
    Rolly, as other's have said only one of them is illegal. Preaching Christianity in public is perfectly legal, the last people to be arrested for preaching about religion were radical Muslims.....

Fighting off intruders is perfectly legal as well, and I make a point of putting people right about this common misconception, and the widespread belief that if you defend yourself the police will come knocking at your door.

It pisses me off completely, had a guy the other week who was complained about by a group of chavs after they kicked his door and threatened to burn his house down. They seriously thought I'd prosecute him because he pushed one of them away, and confiscated their phone (after they threw it at him).
    I told the idiots where to go, reassured him he'd acted well within the law, unfortunately the guy didn't want to press charges or I'd have nicked them there and then.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Rolly, as other's have said only one of them is illegal. Preaching Christianity in public is perfectly legal, the last people to be arrested for preaching about religion were radical Muslims.....

And they weren't arrested even for that, it was for incitement to murder, which has been against the law for ages.
  • Options
    Fighting off intruders is perfectly legal as well, and I make a point of putting people right about this common misconception, and the widespread belief that if you defend yourself the police will come knocking at your door.

Why do you think people have such trouble understanding 'reasonable force'?
  • Options
    Where did you find that misinformed load of rubbish Rolly? The internets? :D
  • Options
    Isn't rolly posting what Americans think is illegal in the UK though? Not what IS actually illegal, or what he thinks is. At least that's how it reads to me.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

Yes sir ...canna find the link now ...just came across something that yanks were talking about and what i posted seems to be an average American view of us.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Why do you think people have such trouble understanding 'reasonable force'?

Because of scare stories in the Daily Mail and the Sun if I'm being perfectly honest.
    I spoke to a woman the other week who had no idea she could defend herself if she was attacked, let alone burgled, all thanks to Tony Martin and co. People are surprised when I tell them the only reason he got locked up was because he shot them in the back as they ran away.

The twisted thing is, if he'd battered them to death with the butt of the rifle he'd probably have not been prosecuted.
  • Options
    Because of scare stories in the Daily Mail and the Sun if I'm being perfectly honest.
    I spoke to a woman the other week who had no idea she could defend herself if she was attacked, let alone burgled, all thanks to Tony Martin and co. People are surprised when I tell them the only reason he got locked up was because he shot them in the back as they ran away.

The twisted thing is, if he'd battered them to death with the butt of the rifle he'd probably have not been prosecuted.

Doesnt surprise me, some of the news stories have made it sound like you are now supposed to make a cup of tea for your rapist.

The illegal gun also had a large part to play, it showed clear intent which is the key.
  • Options
    It's funny how Americans pride themselves on 'liberty' and the 'freedom of tyrannical government' yet well over a million people work for the federal government and that the federal government has actually increased in size since Bush came into power, so much for small government eh?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It's funny how Americans pride themselves on 'liberty' and the 'freedom of tyrannical government' yet well over a million people work for the federal government and that the federal government has actually increased in size since Bush came into power, so much for small government eh?

And he has massively blurred the lines between church and state with funding of almost exclusively church based drug treatment programmes.

Old fashioned republicans hate him, he's not a proper republican in many ways.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Old fashioned republicans hate him, he's not a proper republican in many ways.

Abe Lincoln was a Republican, the party system has changed so much since the early days.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Abe Lincoln was a Republican, the party system has changed so much since the early days.

I suppose I'm thinking of people who supported them before they reached out for the evangelical voting block.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

The internets is never going to catch on. Quill and ink is the way forward. The internets told me.
  • Options
    weird use of wording - has the American word for rubbish (trash), but the English word for ass (bum)
  • Options
    Yes sir ...canna find the link now ...just came across something that yanks were talking about and what i posted seems to be an average American view of us.

I've never thought any of that. Learned about the pepper spray bit right now though :thumb: The no smoking bit is catching on around here. Many cities and I think a couple states have no public smoking bans. I believe all of Illinois is no public smoking as of the first of this year... was no smoking in several of the chicagoland burbs for quite a while.
    weird use of wording - has the American word for rubbish (trash), but the English word for ass (bum)

I always have to giggle every time I have Fanny Mae chocolates and visit here :p
  • Options
    I watched a report on the news the other day about the latest thing for American women to do. It's like an Anne Summers party, except that they're demonstrating and selling tasers instead, in all sorts of wacky, girly designs. I hope no-one gets the two parties mixed up, or they could be in for a hell of a shock.

"Was it good?"
    "I don't remember, but I blacked out for a while, so it must've been."
  • Options
    Why do I have this strange feeling it is not as popular as this news report probably made it seem...:chin:
  • Options
    I watched a report on the news the other day about the latest thing for American women to do. It's like an Anne Summers party, except that they're demonstrating and selling tasers instead, in all sorts of wacky, girly designs. I hope no-one gets the two parties mixed up, or they could be in for a hell of a shock.

"Was it good?"
    "I don't remember, but I blacked out for a while, so it must've been."

I seen that too, bunch of weirdos. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Carrying a can of pepper spray is illegal in Britain. Fighting off intruders into your home is illegal. Taking pictures on the street is illegal. Eating a sandwich in your car is illegal. Shouting at criminal gangs is illegal. Saying certain words like ?homosexual? , is illegal. Children horseing around is illegal. Putting a bottle in the trash is illegal. Smoking is illegal. Criticizing religion is illegal. Preaching religion is illegal (unless it is radical Islam apparently).

Everything conceivable is illegal so that you cannot turn and scratch your bum without breaking some Imperial Law of the feudal elite. So what do you think? They have completely stripped Brits of their right to self-defense, while they have armed legions of criminals to take the streets away from citizens. There is no other way to view it. Britain is an Orwellian Masonic Neofeudal Tyranny on steroids.

:D

actually I was under the imprerssion that the idea of using "resonable force" was being encouraged only recently a man killed a drunked trying to get into his home with a kitchen knife and it was rulled that he was within his right and used resonable force (and me personally though why did he open the door to the guy and not call the police first) aaprantly the druked mistoke thew guys house for his own

but you are right in the general sense with political correctness and this that and the other we are being stripped of all rights and not being deemed capable of using comon sense and discretion