Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New Vegeterian

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I am aware from doing a thread search that some people on the board are vegeterians. I am turning Vegeterian, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about nutrition- do I need to take any supplements etc? I shall also be getting advice from my Dr, but I'm too excited to wait until then! Any reciepes too?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Just curious as to why?
  • Options
    Buy a veggie cook book :) There are loads around!
  • Options
    Buy a veggie cook book :) There are loads around!
    Aye. I don't use supplements - maybe book an appointment with your GP or ask for a referral to a dietician?
  • Options
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »

Great site :thumb:

Also try http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/ You can search by diet (veggie) and by ingredient/keyword, course, cuisine and even calorie range! Its got so many great recipes on and they're all marked by difficulty and preparation time

I highlt doubt you'll need supplements just by being vegetarian. Chances are you'll replace meat with foods which will replace any lost nutrients. Quorn is low in fat and contains protein so just by substituting that for meat you're not really missing out on a lot. Once you start getting into new foods you'll probably find your diet is healthier than when you ate meat!

The only hard one for veggies is vitamin B12 so make sure you have marmite on your toast each morning and you'll be fine! If you don't like it that much then water it down and use it as a stock. Voila!

Nuts are a great way of getting lots of goodness in a small dose, although they are quite oily so don't go mad. They are good for protein, fibre and vitamins. Either eat them as a snack or incorporate them into meals. I put cashew nuts in a stir fry, chopped almonds in cous cous, pine nuts in lasagne and chopped nuts in anything requiring breadcrumbs or a crumble topping (e.g. gratin). Or just have a peanut butter sandwich :razz:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Great site :thumb:

I am about as un-vegetarian as you can get :D:lol: I just used that wonderful thing called Google ;)
  • Options
    I am about as un-vegetarian as you can get :D:lol: I just used that wonderful thing called Google ;)

Haha fair play
  • Options
    Just curious as to why?

Animal welfare primarily, but secondly because I now cook for myself! My parents were difficult about me going vegeterian before now.

Thankyou for the advice, I'm waiting until I get paid to buy a veg cook book, but until then have a few ideas to keep me inspired!
  • Options
    101cookbooks.com, they should pay me to plug that site, but it has amazing recipes and :yum: photography
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Buy Quorn 'Bangers'. (frozen) They are WELL nice and tbh, they pretty much taste the same as meat more than any other product of theirs. Also, their chicken lime dippers are yummy too (fresh section).

Brilliant, sounds great! Thankyou!
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Buy Quorn 'Bangers'. (frozen) They are WELL nice and tbh, they pretty much taste the same as meat more than any other product of theirs. Also, their chicken lime dippers are yummy too (fresh section).

And there a pound in tescos at the moment. Stock up!
  • Options
    Good for you :)

I've been a vegetarian since 1990, I have to say it's never been easier to be veggie as almost everywhere (in the UK at least) has veggie options, people always know several veggies so usually already understand what that actually means and can cater veggie for you if you go around for dinner. And you rarely have to read the ingredients lists on things at the supermarket as they are almost always clearly marked with some type of suitable for veggies logo.

I'm not sure if I've got any advice to do with the transition to becoming a vegetarian as I was only six years old at the time and hated meat anyway. I certainly have never missed it or wished I ate meat (if I felt that way I would just eat it but I don't).

I was sent this link to BBC Goodfood's online newsletter recently as they did some type of veggie recipes special for National Vegetarian week: http://bbc-magazines.msgfocus.com/q/1pnJ6pmSvWVWQ/wv
    Also in that link it mentions they are doing a special vegetarian edition of BBC Goodfood magazine for summer, it's £3.10 and is out now (you can find it in larger shops that sell magazines). I got it this week and it's great! They used to do a vegetarian edition every month in the late 90s but they discontinued it so I was so pleased they did this summer edition.

I'm trying to think of other things you might want to know about but I can't think of anything much but if you've got any specific questions then feel free to add them to this thread and I can pop back to answer them or send me a PM.

Good luck :)

Enjoy being veggie :D
  • Options
    Hi again!

I've just been looking through my computer's 'favourites' websites and thought I'd post a few of the links that might be helpful for you in this thread. So here goes...

Veg Soc Recipe Index - lots and lots of links to free vegetarian recipes sorted into type of dish, main course etc. Really useful website for recipes.
    http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/

Rose Elliot: Vegetarian Cook - this is the home page of Rose Elliot's website. It's got some of her recipes on it and gives details of all her books and there are some articles too. Rose Elliot is currently my favourite veggie cookbook writer, check out her site!
    http://www.roseelliot.com/index.php

Delia Smith's Veggie section: Who Needs Meat? - I can't say I've actually cooked any of these as I generally find Delia's recipes more effort than I can be bothered with although I did have several saved in my favourites so I must have liked the look of them when I saved this link!!
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/selections/vegetarian-main-courses-who-needs-meat,178,RS.html

Vegan Family - a collection of Vegan recipes
    http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/main.html

Kake's Vegan Cookery Site - another collection of Vegan recipes
    http://www.earth.li/%7Ekake/cookery/

I'm not Vegan but I go through phases of eating more Vegan foods and I included the last two links incase some of the recipes are of interest to you.

Also I've got loads of Veggie cookbooks so if you want to hear any ur 'reviews' of them before you buy then let me know what sort of thing you are after and I'll have a think about which I'd recommend for you! (Like if you like healthy food, cheap and easy food, dinner party food to impress) My current favourite cookbook which I use a lot is one I got for Christmas called "Vegetarian Express" by Rose Elliot, it is good as they are healthy quick and simple recipes yet aren't so stupidly easy that there is no need for a cookbook!

Also yesterday I was really pleased as I picked up a really new edition of another Rose Elliot cookbook ("Vegan Feasts") for £2 in a charity shop and it looked pretty much brand new so maybe it's worth checking out some recipe books in charity shops too. They usually have quite a few veggie cookbooks in stock to tempt me when I go to charity shops!
  • Options

I've just been reading through the Veg Soc website and there is a lot of really useful advice and info on it too as well as the recipes, so well found :yes:

They have a page for New Veggies that might be worth a read:
    http://www.vegsoc.org/newveg/

And also here is some advice from the Veg Soc about nutrition which may be of help to you:
    http://www.vegsoc.org/info/basic-nutrition.html
  • Options
    Just found this linky too for a page of NHS Direct about geting enough protein if you are veggie:
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=1128

As you can probably tell from my replies I've been looking through the internet veggie resources between posts on here and I keep finding new things to post in this thread. It's been really good reading through so many veggie websites tonight, it reminds me that I'm so glad to be veggie :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl, you actually are an absolute star! Thankyou so so much for the links, I'm browsing through them all now. From what I trialed this week, I'm going to love being vegeterain! I've felt that I'm glowing, and I don't feel stodgy and heavy after eating- my meals did normally contain meat, and 'man' sized portions of it! Never again! Thankyou so much again RG, I owe you BIG time!
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    Randomgirl, you actually are an absolute star! Thankyou so so much for the links, I'm browsing through them all now. From what I trialed this week, I'm going to love being vegeterain! I've felt that I'm glowing, and I don't feel stodgy and heavy after eating- my meals did normally contain meat, and 'man' sized portions of it! Never again! Thankyou so much again RG, I owe you BIG time!

That's okay, it was a pleasure :)

I've had most of those links saved on my favourites list for ages and it was actually really good to go through them again, I came across lots of things that I'd forgotten I'd saved! Lol!

I really hope it goes well for you. If you think of anymore questions or have any concerns then feel free to pm / add them to this thread.
  • Options
    Rose Elliott is something of a goddess
  • Options
    Thankyou Rachie, and too you again RG. The links are fab, and I feel so very inspired!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    RG: I've been a veggie for 16 years and found those links amazing!

I don't know if anyone has said this yet - but on quorn's packaging there are recipes for different things i.e cottage pie etc. I find those quite useful to keep as cuttings.

I bought the good food magazine veggie special magazine recently and added it to my cookbook collection as it has such excellent recipes!

To the OP: good for you :thumb:

Yay! glad you liked the links :D

Have you tried out any of the recipes from the Good Food Summer Veggie special do-dah yet? It would be good to know which you recommend and any tips if you've tried any! I've done the Summer Minestrone Soup (page 32) which was lovely and filling (I halved the quantities and it still made loads - very generous portions!) Also last night I did the Pepper and Egg Saute (page 80) which was simply yum-tastic!! I've got some ingredients for the saute left over so I'm going to do it again tomorrow as it was lush. I just divided the quantities by four as I was the only one eating it. I've got lots of post-it notes shoved in the magazine now on various different pages to mark the recipes I want to try first!!
  • Options
    I was veggie for a is year and a half and now I'm vegan for the past 14 months.

I started off by using this, although I have branched out now and tend to use other cookbooks, especially based on regions of the world such as India or the West Indies. I also use the internet.

As for nutrition... Quorn burgers are all very well, but they are highly processed. I think that veggie burgers are more of a treat than a staple... Same with cheese.

It really depends on your taste and lifestyle though. We (my housemate and I) cook from scratch, often making curries. Curries are really easy because there is a set way to make them which is the same every time (jn fact, I may make a curry soon) and you can throw any veg you wish to get rid of in to it.

I'll post some recipes and more stuff t'morrow, as I have an exam to revise for. If you'd like any advice on vegan food though, drop me a message. :)

Peace out,
    SW
  • Options
    Thankyou so much, that would be great. I really appreciate all the help and advice I've been given guys.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can get the vegetarian summer good food? I looked in Tesco but they didn't have it :(
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can get the vegetarian summer good food? I looked in Tesco but they didn't have it :(

It was a real pain to get actually! I got mine in a large Borders bookshop. I'd have thought they'd sell it anywhere they sell the regular good food magazine but it was harder to get than that - I tried several supermarkets and newsagents without luck before I found it in Borders.

It is possible to buy it over the phone or online but it seems annoying to pay postage charges that are about half as much again as the original price of the magazine. The website to buy it online is this one:
    https://secure2.subscribeonline.co.uk/bbcmagazines/product.cfm?mag=GDFD&cmp=GFVW508

Good luck finding it, it is worth it I promise :)
  • Options
    I don't know what Borders is! I don't think I have one near! I had this problem last year with the vegetarian christmas edition, couldn't find it anyway. I might email them and ask

Yeah I don't really wanna order it online, the postage is ridiculous

Thanks for your help anyway!
  • Options
    I don't know what Borders is! I don't think I have one near! I had this problem last year with the vegetarian christmas edition, couldn't find it anyway. I might email them and ask

Yeah I don't really wanna order it online, the postage is ridiculous

Thanks for your help anyway!

Borders is a big bookshop that sells books, a lot of magazines, CDs and DVDs and that sort of thing. It's a chain, there are lots in London and some others too, maybe they don't reach your parts of the country though :)

Btw, did you get the Christmas edition? Aparently they do the Christmas one every year but I've never bought it personally. I just wondered is it any good? Is it all nut roasts and Christmassy stuff in it? Or does it have recipes that come in useful all year?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Borders is a big bookshop that sells books, a lot of magazines, CDs and DVDs and that sort of thing. It's a chain, there are lots in London and some others too, maybe they don't reach your parts of the country though :)

Btw, did you get the Christmas edition? Aparently they do the Christmas one every year but I've never bought it personally. I just wondered is it any good? Is it all nut roasts and Christmassy stuff in it? Or does it have recipes that come in useful all year?

I've got 3 xmas editions, one from 2 years ago and the other 2 from 4-5 years ago. The last one was crap, just a reproduction of previous editions, but the other 2 are fantastic! They do feature a nut roast or 2 , as well as your xmas cakes, puddings, mince pies and roast potatoes. Most of it is fab new recipes though using seasonal produce, easy suppers, freezable meals to prepare in advance, winter hotpots and loads of great recipes for the festive season. I use mine all year round, so much that they've fallen apart and been taped back together numerous times!

I'll have a look when I get home and tell you the editions I have and you can order back copies if you like. They are worth it!

I've tracked down a borders n cardiff and llantrisant so I will have to pay a visit on saturday - thanks!
  • Options
    Cool! winter meals, things to make and freeze, hotpots and what-not sound like my thing. I've never been responsible for Christmas catering as I'm usually visiting relatives at Christmas so if I do get involved with cooking it will be something someone else has chosen but it would be good to have for the other recipes.

I've still got a really knackered, splattered, falling apart copy of Vegetarian GoodFood from October 1997, it sounds like your ones, well loved and used loads. I used to have a couple of others but I don't know what I did with them, I think they were at my Mum's house and she recycled them or something, either that or she still has them but I doubt it. I've seen back copies from when they did it monthy (back in the 90s) for sale on E-Bay but they are quite expensive on there, I think part of the greatness is that it works out so cheap compared to a new cookbook for all those recipes you get.
  • Options
    I've just brought the Goodfood Veg Summer mag, it is fantastic, it's my reward for working my arse off, so I'm chilling back and reading at the mo! I managed to find mine in Tescos, but it is an Extra store. I had the pizza recipe on page 83, which was a nice idea- using cayenne powder in with the base, but I didn't like how it was meant to be fried, so will oven it next time!
  • Options
    whaa my tesco is an extra and i couldn't find it anywhere! rarw :impissed: