Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tax on Healthy food

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats fried gold? :confused:

And also it did kind of sound like you thought tampons were luxury :)
    budda wrote: »
    But thats not the point, its that tampons are the luxurious way of dealing with them.
  • Options
    I was a bit surprised that you seemed to think that because no, it isn't something that I'd think you'd think. I'm glad you don't!
    Better? or would you like a (luxury) lollipop too? ;)

Perhaps I'm a too deadpan, it doesnt always work when you cant hear the intonation.

Is the lollipop going to come in emoticon form? If so I dont want it, I dont like them. Thanks for the offer though.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Whats fried gold? :confused:

And also it did kind of sound like you thought tampons were luxury :)

Its a silly term from Spaced, or at least it is if you are nerdy enough to listen to the commentery.

I've not personally used one, but I can hazard a guess that they couldn't really be called a luxurious experience.
  • Options
    2006080721lolly-pop-large.jpg

Budda you're wrong - there is nothing more luxurious than sticking cotton wool in your chuff!
  • Options
    Yes, thanks for that. As I somewhat expected this is where the generation gap leaves me cold, I have no idea what sort of response I'm supposed to have to that. Maybe I think a little too much about these sorts of things.
  • Options
    Haha suddenly the fruit juice isn't so much of an issue anymore
  • Options
    Yeah I think we've killed the smoothie discussion. Sorry DG, you're just going to have to pay full price like anyone else who struggles to eat an apple, a carrot, a banana, some grapes and some baked beans in one day.
  • Options
    On a somewhat related topic, have you noticed how some people dont have any ingredients in their trolley at the supermarket. I mean things like flour, veg, tinned tomatos things like that.

Do some people just not cook?
  • Options
    All the time. Most people I see shopping at work buy ready meals, fresh filled pasta, pizzas etc. I hate seeing families with trolleys stacked high with those things along with loads of bottles of fizzy pop and crisps and biscuits and stuff. Their poor children are never really going to have a chance are they?
  • Options
    On a somewhat related topic, have you noticed how some people dont have any ingredients in their trolley at the supermarket. I mean things like flour, veg, tinned tomatos things like that.

Some people really don't. My flatmate lives on sandwiches and beer I think.

I tend to only basket shop twice a week as I haven't got the storage space, but sometimes I don't have cupboard stuff as I do a big shop every now and then and stock up on loads of things. I always have fruit and veg though.
  • Options
    Loads of people don't cook from scratch. A lot of my friends don't. I mostly do, and since food prices rising I do pretty much every day

I look at some people's shopping on the supermarket checkout sometimes and think WTF. Its all processed packaged food. How expensive, unhealthy and lazy. AND TAX FREE :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    I tend to only basket shop twice a week as I haven't got the storage space, but sometimes I don't have cupboard stuff as I do a big shop every now and then and stock up on loads of things. I always have fruit and veg though.

:yes: I buy heavy items like flour and tins and other cupboard stuff like boxes of cereal on an online shop about every 4-6 weeks and then only but stuff I can carry once a week or so, which is usually milk, vegetables and perishable goods.
  • Options
    Most processed packaged food is taxed as a luxury, but its all about the definitions. Staples such as bread (which includes cake), meat, vegetables and milk are not taxed.

That's why jaffa cakes are not taxed. There was a huge court case several years ago and to prove that it was a cake and not a biscuit they made a huge jaffa cake.

I don't always cook from scratch but I tend to avoid ready meals, with the yummy exception of those fresh handmade pizzas from Asda. I don't understand how anyone can live without a good spice rack, some fresh garlic and ginger and as many cans of tinned tomato as you can shake a big stick at.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Most processed packaged food is taxed as a luxury, but its all about the definitions. Staples such as bread (which includes cake), meat, vegetables and milk are not taxed.

Ahh so pizza is bread, and chips are counted as potatoes?
  • Options
    I don't understand how anyone can live without a good spice rack, some fresh garlic and ginger and as many cans of tinned tomato as you can shake a big stick at.

I completely agree, along with soy, worchestershire and fish sauce, plus all the other spices and sauces.

The shame is that kids in the houses where they grow up on junk will then in turn feed their kids crap. And of course because they are pumped full of sugar, caffiene and refined flours they will have the attention span of a fly.
    That's why jaffa cakes are not taxed. There was a huge court case several years ago and to prove that it was a cake and not a biscuit they made a huge jaffa cake.

Personally I really think they are missing out on a market here, I'd buy a large jaffa cake, not huge but the size of the larger Mr. Kippling ones.
  • Options

The shame is that kids in the houses where they grow up on junk will then in turn feed their kids crap. And of course because they are pumped full of sugar, caffiene and refined flours they will have the attention span of a fly.

... and probably be a drain on the NHS due to their weight and health issues.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    ... and probably be a drain on the NHS due to their weight and health issues.

As well as the criminal justice system potentially too, diet makes a massive impact on how kids behave in the classroom, which has a huge knock effect in terms of job chances later on.
  • Options
    As well as the criminal justice system potentially too, diet makes a massive impact on how kids behave in the classroom, which has a huge knock effect in terms of job chances later on.

Very, very true. I thought one damning comment per post was enough for some of the people on here... :p
  • Options

Must also depend on where you go? When I shopped at supermarkets in Clapham, people would have their trolleys filled with salads, fresh fruit/veg, yogurt, juices, lean protein, nuts etc, my boyfriend and I once went to Peckham and most trolleys were filled with processed things, frozen things, crisps, fizzy drinks.
  • Options
    what parent has the time to cook from scratch after a heavy day at work, highly pressured by gov to work with the way the tax credits work. you're all being mighty judgemental actually. what chance do the kids have? fuck off!
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what parent has the time to cook from scratch after a heavy day at work, highly pressured by gov to work with the way the tax credits work. you're all being mighty judgemental actually. what chance do the kids have? fuck off!

It doesn't take that long to make decent food. Or, you can cook during the day whilst you're at work. (which is what my mum does a lot)
  • Options

Fuck off yourself.

Bang some veg on to steam. Grill some chicken/fish/whatever. Boil some potatoes. Flavour with what you want. Piece of piss, quick, barely have to tend to it.

Cook in bulk. Freeze it. Re-heat it. Again - piece of piss.

Not saying having a kid is easy, but it's all too easy to cook up (guffaw!) excuses.

(... and yes, I do know what I'm talking about. Long story, but I have two younger brothers and my mum seriously spent years in hospital when we were growing up.)
  • Options
    Na, you fuck off!
  • Options
    G_Angel is actually correct. It doesn't take that long to make a decent meal.
  • Options
    Na, you fuck off!

No, you! :razz:

:D
  • Options
    No, fuck right off! :tongue:
  • Options
    No, fuck right off! :tongue:

We could always fuck off together............... to the kitchen ;):p

Sod it, I'm off to watch Indiana Jones and eat BBQ meat. Mmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    You cook, I'll eat. Oh, fine, whatever - I've already seen it. BBQ sounds good though.
  • Options
    You cook, I'll eat. Oh, fine, whatever - I've already seen it. BBQ sounds good though.

BBQ was gooooooooooooooood.

Indiana Jones was ... ok.
  • Options
    jealous