Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tax on Healthy food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I came across this and didn't even know there was a tax on so called "LUXURY FOOD"

100% fruit juice is taxed at 17.5% whilst chips aren't - well that says a lot about the government's attitude to healthy eating.

http://www.vatsnotfair.com/smoothies/

ASDA is launching a campaign calling for a reduction in VAT on 100% fruit juices and smoothies to bring an end to a tax which unfairly penalises people for choosing healthier options.

Under current tax law, people pay zero VAT on essential foods and drinks such as milkshakes, frozen pizzas and chips but 17.5% on luxury items such as smoothies and 100% fruit juices. ASDA is calling for this to be reduced to 5%, which is the minimum allowed under EU law.
Current VAT law makes no sense ? the Government charges the full rate of tax on healthy fruit juices and smoothies while effectively encouraging people to buy cakes and frozen pizzas by not taxing them at all.

This is about a common sense approach to pricing. Everyone knows that we should be eating more fruit and vegetables and that price often plays a big part in deciding which items to buy. So why should we pay a premium for making healthier choices?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/juicesvat/

Comments

• Options
    The whole VAT system makes no sense, a jaffa cake is exempt, yet a chocolate biscuit is a luxury.

Same as razors, men need theirs but women dont, so they pay the higher rate.
  • Options
    what! why is fruit juice taxed but chips arent?
  • Options
    I only ever buy 100% juice and it's a rip off!
  • Options
    Supposedly they are going to reduce the tax on things like smoothies and fruit juices but only by about 5% :rolleyes:

It's rediculouse that healthy food is taxed whereas fatty foods aren't, the government can push 5 a day all they want but with the price of most fruit it's no wonder people aren't eating enough!
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The whole VAT system makes no sense, a jaffa cake is exempt, yet a chocolate biscuit is a luxury.

:yes: The VAT system on food is really odd. A lot of the basic rules where made quite a few years ago and dont get updated very often.
  • Options
    Do we not? :p
  • Options
    so basically take an orange and it's tax free (I assume??), squeeze the juice out of it and the price jumps 17.5% ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7284703.stm
  • Options
    compared to an orange, orange juice is a luxury food, where the whole orange is much better for you.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    compared to an orange, orange juice is a luxury food, where the whole orange is much better for you.

That's just an example - Pineapple juice for example is probably a lot easier to consume then a pineapple. Also possible to drink a mixture of various fruits and get the benefits of several fruits.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Do we not? :p

Nope, both female razors and tampons are luxury items (according to the VAT man, not me).
  • Options

Which is why I use mens razors. I don't need mine to be pink and sparkly thanks, I just need it to shave my legs.

I think tampons being classed as a luxury item is awful though :mad:
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Which is why I use mens razors. I don't need mine to be pink and sparkly thanks, I just need it to shave my legs.

I think tampons being classed as a luxury item is awful though :mad:

The pads arent considered a luxury, so they arent taxed, but tampons are.
  • Options
    I use mens razors too, much better than womens ones.
    I do think it's wrong that tampons are considered a luxury item though! There's nothing luxurious about periods.
  • Options
    I do think it's wrong that tampons are considered a luxury item though! There's nothing luxurious about periods.

But thats not the point, its that tampons are the luxurious way of dealing with them.
  • Options
    do you really think so or is that just what the VAT man says? I think that they both fall under the "necessary" heading, much more so than a milkshake or something.
  • Options
    But thats not the point, its that tampons are the luxurious way of dealing with them.

For someone with heavy periods they are the necessary way of dealing with them
  • Options
    Seriously though how are frozen chips and pizzas possibly classed as 'essential'?

In my shopping basket fruit and veg are essential (buy them every week) and frozen chips and pizzas are literally a luxury (as in I only buy them once everything else is in the basket and I've got money left over)

Urgh the government make me mad
  • Options
    Actually I'd class smoothies as a luxury item, even without the tax they're really expensive and not something I'd buy regularly. I don't even buy fruit juice regularly, but that's more to do with fridge space and having to carry it back. But smoothies are a new fashionable thing really aren't they? hardly essential.
  • Options
    Actually I'd class smoothies as a luxury item, even without the tax they're really expensive and not something I'd buy regularly. I don't even buy fruit juice regularly, but that's more to do with fridge space and having to carry it back. But smoothies are a new fashionable thing really aren't they? hardly essential.

I agree with that. I think the point is that they're healthy though. I'd consider them a luxury too. But I don't think fruit juice or tampons should be. I rarely buy fruit juice because its too expensive
  • Options
    True, they are healthy, and when compared with pizza and chips it does seem silly to tax them based on the healthiness. I do think they're more of a luxury product than fruit juice or fruit and veg themselves. More of a supplement to a diet than something that you'd make a meal from. Does that kind of make sense? It's something I'd buy as a treat.
  • Options
    Yeh same. I think its bad to tax fruit juice though cos its a good way of getting one of your five a day

ETA: the tax on tampons rule cos they're a 'luxury' was obviously written by a man
  • Options
    hehe I was going to write that but thought I'd be accused of sexism or something!
  • Options
    Well as if a women would ever consider tampons to be a luxury!
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    do you really think so or is that just what the VAT man says? I think that they both fall under the "necessary" heading, much more so than a milkshake or something.

Of course I dont think tampons are the luxurious way to have a period, its a total farce that they are taxed.

As for smoothies, they are a luxury so should be taxed, just plain juice though that seems a bit harsh, perhaps they could have the 5% band.

As for fruit and veg itself, I assume that's VAT exempt, or at least its on the 5% band.

I know books and kids clothing is exempt which seems a good idea to me.
  • Options
    Oh good, for a minute there I thought you thought they were a luxury :p
    I agree with the rest of your post, tis good :thumb:
  • Options
    Of course I dont think tampons are the luxurious way to have a period, its a total farce that they are taxed.

That should be the new ad campaign

"Tampax - the luxurious way to have your period"
  • Options
    Oh good, for a minute there I thought you thought they were a luxury :p
    I agree with the rest of your post, tis good :thumb:

I'm a little insulted, surely you didnt actually believe that I thought that? I'm not new! Hopefully you have made some rough value judgements about me which wouldnt tally with that?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    That should be the new ad campaign

"Tampax - the luxurious way to have your period"

That's fried gold and no mistake.
  • Options
    I'm a little insulted, surely you didnt actually believe that I thought that? I'm not new! Hopefully you have made some rough value judgements about me which wouldnt tally with that?
    I was a bit surprised that you seemed to think that because no, it isn't something that I'd think you'd think. I'm glad you don't!
    Better? or would you like a (luxury) lollipop too? ;)