Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Life after people

Just watched this on TV. It was amazing to realise that in 100,000 years the only remnants of human civilisation will be the Hoover Dam and the Pyramids at Giza..!
Everything else will have decayed and crumbled within 10,000.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's amazing the other way round and that they'll still be traces of human civilisation in 100,000 years and that plenty of stuff will last for 10,000.

I can remember seeing a bit of wall dating from 3000BC in the British Museum and being impressed at seeing something which was 5000 years old - i can't imagine seeing anything as old as 10,000
  • Options
    This is presumably if nothing was maintained for the next 100,000 years isn't it? Impressive as it is, it's unlikely to happen this way without another significant dark age - which is pretty unlikely looking at the world these days.

Then again, once oil runs out...
  • Options
    The programme prompted fascinating questions. Considering there are around 5bn years left in our solar system before the Sun goes belly up and takes Earth with it, if mankind were to be made extinct it is possible another (or several others) intelligent species could develop and create new civilisations who would be unaware of our own existence. Makes you think...

I'm also fascinated by the hypothetical scenario of how quickly society and man-made infrastructure would break down. Apparently within a day of mankind disappearing 70% of the world's electricity would be lost. Within 2 weeks all the lights would have gone out.

For anyone interested in such scenarios I can recommend The Stand by Stephen King.
  • Options
    I think it's amazing the other way round and that they'll still be traces of human civilisation in 100,000 years and that plenty of stuff will last for 10,000.

I can remember seeing a bit of wall dating from 3000BC in the British Museum and being impressed at seeing something which was 5000 years old - i can't imagine seeing anything as old as 10,000

According to the research, very little would be intact after a few HUNDRED years, let alone 10,000.
    Within 1000 years most of Manhatten for example would be a series of unrecognisable hills. The empire state building and other large super structures would have collapsed over 500 years before. Cars would have disintergrated, bridges would vanish, it's a sobering thought that despite our percieved power as masters of the earth, we're nothing more than a blip in creation.

A funny thing though, if we just vanished, planes would keep flying for upto 36 hours if they were high enough lol.

In 100,000 years the only remnants of humanity would be radiation, ceramic, plastic and Mount Rushmore and anything we've sent into space.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    For anyone interested in such scenarios I can recommend The Stand by Stephen King.

Or Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond, the guy who wrote Guns, Germs and Steel. An excellent look at the collapse of a number of civilizations from the past for a number of different reasons and possible lessons for the future.

Some other books that come up in wikipedia links include -

The Collapse of Complex Societies by Joseph Tainter
    A Study of History by Arnold J. Toynbee
    and A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    In 100,000 years the only remnants of humanity would be radiation, ceramic, plastic and Mount Rushmore and anything we've sent into space.
    I bet there'll still be a Tesco intact somewhere.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I bet there'll still be a Tesco intact somewhere.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Thought it was strange that the programme didn't mention human structures/artefacts actually designed to last extreme events, human absence, etc.

For instance, nuclear bunkers? Dumps for storing nuclear waste? "Time capsules"? That "apocalypse bunker" of crop seeds the Norwegians (or was it the Swedes) just built? Or other resilient materials and human artefacts. Titanium structures? Cut diamonds?

Also, wouldn't human radio/satellite broadcasts and light images of humans continue to travel across the universe indefinately?

Nevethless, interesting doc.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    Thought it was strange that the programme didn't mention human structures/artefacts actually designed to last extreme events, human absence, etc.

For instance, nuclear bunkers? Dumps for storing nuclear waste? "Time capsules"? That "apocalypse bunker" of crop seeds the Norwegians (or was it the Swedes) just built? Or other resilient materials and human artefacts. Titanium structures? Cut diamonds?

Also, wouldn't human radio/satellite broadcasts and light images of humans continue to travel across the universe indefinately?

yeah it wasnt definitive, and had a lot of extended waffle.

thought provoking though. Wonderous and depressing at the same time. It sort of exposes the futility of human life.

edit: the part with paper and digital media disintegrating is no surprise, but i've never given it much thought. Basically within a hundred years there won't be a lot of anything left.

I would like to look into things like skeletons, plastics, time capsules, and any areas away from north america, which the docu foced on.
  • Options
    No humans would equal no one to wiegh or measure ...no one to wonder hope plan. No one to investigate ...no one to suceed and fail. There wouldn't be much point to planet earth without inteligent life on it.
  • Options
    Evolution to dissolution...the rest is silence....
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »

Even supposeduly "resilient" structures would decay over time. The building blocks of a nuclear bunker are the same as those in a skyscraper. Just concrete but deep underground, and whilst the bunker itself might survive, the doors would eventually rust and plants and vegetation would eventually take over. Titanium is just an alloy of iron, and would rust eventually.

As for transmissions into space, it's been found quite recently that most of the stuff we've transmitted will have decayed into background noise a few light years from Earth, so when we go out it'll be with a whimper into the ether.

Plastics would survive, as would fossilised bones, but after 100,000 years of absence even these would have vanished. You've got to remember, 100,000 years is an impossibly long time, longer than current human history. It would be very arrogant of us to assume we could construct something capable of beating back nature for that long.
    Our only hope for our memory to live on is to send it into space.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Just watched this on TV. It was amazing to realise that in 100,000 years the only remnants of human civilisation will be the Hoover Dam and the Pyramids at Giza..!
    Everything else will have decayed and crumbled within 10,000.

and they forgot to tell you that in 100 years we will have destroyed ourselves anyhow !