Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My Hip Hurts!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

So it's probably nothing but I woke up today and all day my hip has ached really badly. Like I'm limping whilst I walk trying to get off it and to put any pressure on it hurts. I've been trying to clunk it all day because it's really uncomfortable. I'm figuring I've just slept on it funny but is there anything I can do i.e. exercises to stretch it out or whatever? I sometimes get problems with this hip after walking for a long time and certain exercises i.e. side leg lifts are very painful - it feels like it locks and it clunks a lot. I've always just over looked how much it aches but could it imply a bigger problem? I don't want a trick hip at 21 :(

Thank you!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well when we're stretching our hips out in dance we do the 'frog' - it's kind of hard to describe but you lie on your front, put the soles of your feet together and bring your heels towards your bum, but try not to let your bum lift up so you need to push your hips down to keep it flat. Not sure if you know what I mean but you look like a frog when you do it! It's good for stretching out your hips - I love it! But don't force it, just bring your heels up as far as you can get them without lifting your bum without it being painful.
    Here are some yoga poses for your hips and groin. They may help stretch and strengthen them :)

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/hips
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/anatomical_focus/groins
    I've crap hips since I was born (they though I had clicky hips as a baby).
    If you havent hurt it from exercise, it might by the way you sleep. I still regulary sleep with my hip in a odd angle and hurt it.

All you can do is strecth is gently and rest. Sometimes the only way I can sort mine out is complete rest which isnt practical.
    Do you have pretty flexible hips? That can cause you problems, cause your muscles and ligaments will let you flex your hips much more than your bones really want you to.

I have problems with both hips, which is still largely a mystery, but the doctors *think* it's because they are hypermobile and I have the beginnings of arthritis where they've bent too far and knackered up the socket.

I'd say rest it, but not too much, and if you do an exercise that hurts them - don't do it! Pain in your muscles is ok when you're working out, but pain in your joints is usually a sign that they are unhappy about something.