Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dog meat *some images users may find disturbing*

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I watched a programme on BBC World today about the sale of dog meat in South Korea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/this_world/5153990.stm

Would you eat dog meat?

I wouldn't.

Comments

• Options
    Yes i would I'M A MEAT EATER.
  • Options
    i might, although i wouldnt eat my own dog
  • Options
    Nothing I love more than Sweet & Sour greyhound :yum:
  • Options
    I don't care what animal it is, why is eating a dog any worse than eating a pig or a chicken?

I wouldn't eat a dog... I choose not to eat meat.
  • Options
    om nom nom

eta - this has been changed to an attachment following complaints
    dog.jpg 49.3K
  • Options
    The thought makes my stomach turn. Although in my opinion there is nothing wrong with eating meat, that is if the animal was well looked after when alive and died in a humane way.

To add... There's no need for that photograph nor did I want to see it. Your sick to have actually searched for this.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldn' have a problem with the eating of dog meat.

However the way the dogs are treated in countries such as Korea that do eat dogs would stop prevent me from eating them.

I don't get screamish abouteating meat. If it's and edible meat that won't make you ill then why not? If you happy eating cattle why not a dog.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    nothing wrong with it, why not?
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    Although in my opinion there is nothing wrong with eating meat, that is if the animal .
    ...Is dead.
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    To add... There's no need for that photograph nor did I want to see it. Your sick to have actually searched for this.

I didnt it was in my photobucket account. Anyway, never been to a butcher shop?

I'm sick so i'll do a search anyway... dont click the attachment.

* edited to add - WARNING _ this is a very unpleasant image, though it does a pretty good job of highlighting what it means for dog to be used as a butcher's meat - in future bear in mind that 'don't click it' isn't an acceptable warning when you're posting something to shock. *
  • Options
    The only difference between dogs in korea and the UK is that here we raise them as pets and other animals as food. It's evidently the other way round in the far east.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The only difference between dogs in korea and the UK is that here we raise them as pets and other animals as food. It's evidently the other way round in the far east.
    They have petcows in the living room? Bet they're murder to train ...fetch!
  • Options
    Depends, what's the protein content like? :naughty:

I think I've been conditioned enough to regard dogs as domestic animals rather than a food source, so I probably wouldn't, but I wouldn't rule it out.
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it, would probably try it, but don't eat an awful lot of meat these days. Except in my bolognese sauce, I always put loads of mince in that.

As whowhere says it's silly to judge another cultures eating habits by our own tastes and conditioning because they will eat different things.

minimi I've been to a butchers plenty of times before and watched that episode of Gordon Ramsey at an abattoire, but I still see no need to post up shocking images.

If we were having a discussion about car accidents, how lovely would it be of me to post pictures of people decapitated or crushed to death? Or a discussion about the US, very easy enough to get some pictures through google image of some blown up Iraqi children. I just never understand the point of posting shocking images especially on a website for young people.
  • Options
    You dont eat dead Iraqi children and car crash victims.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    You dont eat dead Iraqi children and car crash victims.

That's got nothing to do with it, you're posting images to shock. What about if I post a picture of a casserole that's made with dog meat, could you tell the difference from a normal casserole? Because that's what you would be eating, not decapitated dog heads or carcasses stripped to the bone.

Why did you post the images?

I think they're inappropriate on a website that may well be visited by 12, 13 year olds. the first image, the caption that says the website it is from is certainly not suitable for people of that age group.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    That's got nothing to do with it,

Yes it has. I posted the picture half to shock and half to make a point. Its a fucking hunk of meat for gods sake just what you find down tesco's meat counter or your local butcher. But because it is a dog it is unpleasant or shocking?

If you're a vegan then any shock caused by those pictures is definately with reason. But you are not and most of those hypothetical 12 or 13 year olds that may see it gasp wouldn't be either.

Its a dog. So what. Who cares if its a cat monkey goat or cow. Its meat. Meat gets eaten. Om nom nom.

10062432.JPG

mmm pork tenderloin.
  • Options
    What a poor attitude you have. I'm not even going to argue with you anymore, you're being childish. You're posting gory images (the last one isn't) to shock by your own admission and at least one person has complained about it, and especially on here you have to be even more careful because there is an increased amount of young and impressionable people.

But yea, go you, you like stuffing shocking images in people's faces.
  • Options
    Well i've reported the post but, as usual, i doubt anything will be fucking done.
  • Options
    I don't see an issue with posting a picture of meat in a thread about meat. And so what if it's gory? That's what meat is.

I would eat it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it. If I was in China, and someone recommended it, then I'd give it a go.
  • Options
    Not gory, not even bloody, that's just life, and death. lol. om nom nom nom. chow down peoples. Ever since Demolition Man, I've been half tempted to grab me some rat for burgers... cba though.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Well i've reported the post but, as usual, i doubt anything will be fucking done.

No sorry, I don't think that first image is something that needs to be removed given the context of the thread- though where it has been quoted is going to be removed, it doesn't need to be in twice.

The second image is far more brutal and does need the warning. Posting anything similar in the thread wouldn't be acceptable really, the points already been made.

Though I will put a warning on the thread itself.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Yes it has. I posted the picture half to shock and half to make a point. Its a fucking hunk of meat for gods sake just what you find down tesco's meat counter or your local butcher. But because it is a dog it is unpleasant or shocking?

If you're a vegan then any shock caused by those pictures is definately with reason. But you are not and most of those hypothetical 12 or 13 year olds that may see it gasp wouldn't be either.

Its a dog. So what. Who cares if its a cat monkey goat or cow. Its meat. Meat gets eaten. Om nom nom.

Is it any different than showing a piece of chicken?

I don't find the picture shocking tbh... It's just a dog. If people are gonna eat meats, then why be shocked at the pictures?
  • Options
    well i hate seeing pig carcasses in butchers windows etc. always think they look hideous, and those dog ones look just like those - with a tail.

If you cant cope with the reality that the meat you eat was an animal, and before it gets shrink wrapped, it looks pretty gruesome whatever the animal, maybe you need to rethink your diet full stop
  • Options
    I only eat chicken and fish. As I don't eat pork, beef, or any other kind of meat, I wouldn't eat dog meat by default. After watching the programme, I thought the way the animals were kept was cruel. Apparently sometimes the dogs are hung up (alive) and beaten to death because of a myth that this makes them taste better.

I don't think there is any need to eat dog. They're also intelligent mammals that are capable of working to help blind and deaf people, with the police, rescue teams, lifeguards, and in the prison service. It just seems a complete waste to eat them.
  • Options
    pigs are just as intelligent as dogs. Whats the difference?
  • Options
    I wouldn't personally eat dog meat myself because I guess I've been socially conditioned into only thinking of a dog as a domestic pet.
  • Options
    well i hate seeing pig carcasses in butchers windows etc. always think they look hideous, and those dog ones look just like those - with a tail.

If you cant cope with the reality that the meat you eat was an animal, and before it gets shrink wrapped, it looks pretty gruesome whatever the animal, maybe you need to rethink your diet full stop

Exactly. That picture of the dog is just the same as a pig or chicken hanging in the butchers. Why is it acceptable to hang up dead pigs and chickens in a market but not a dog? An animal is an animal. People have such double standards when it comes to eating meat.

Cruelty towards an animal before it dies is a completely different story. No animal should be subject to that no matter what animal it is. In fact I think cruelty to the animals should be the issue, rather than the type of animal being killed to eat
  • Options
    Well some cultures would go ballistic at the thought of eating a cow, so i think its fair play with dogs too.
  • Options
    I've eaten dog, in China, although my friend didn't reveal it to me until afterwards...it wasn't too bad.

Interestingly dogs there are also kept as pets and functional domesticated animals (sniffer dogs, security), so its not "one or the other." However, dogs kept as pets have only emerged recently as Chinese citizens were banned from owning pet dogs for many years due to chronic food shortages. Now they are largely kept for status signalling.