Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Will u care about so called "Ethics" ur life is in front of it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I will not, i will not care about ETHICS when it comes to my life, in fact i am already doing an act which is saving my life and its against so called "ethics".

Whats ur opinion??

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure what you mean (sorry). Ethics is significantly broader than the common conception of analysing right and wrong. Or are you referring to morals?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I am not sure what you mean (sorry). Ethics is significantly broader than the common conception of analysing right and wrong. Or are you referring to morals?
    I think i am suggesting morals.
  • Options
    Just the other day I thought to myself: 'I could kill for a pancake right now'.
  • Options
    Give me an example of something that would be unethical that would save my life, and I'll answer you.

Would I kill 10 people to save my life? Nope. What else do you want answering?
  • Options
    if you were a Jehovahs witness would you accept a blood transfusion to save your life?
  • Options
    if you were a Jehovahs witness would you accept a blood transfusion to save your life?

That's a wierd question. I couldn't possibly know what I would do if I had different thoughts and beliefs than I do now. If I genuinely believed that by having a blood transfusion, God would send me to hell for eternity, then I imagine I would refuse it. I would be an idiot, but if I truely believed that, then that would be the only reasonable choice to make.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I'll be meeting old beardy at the pearly gates.

You're that confident, J? ;)

lake_of_fire.jpg
  • Options
    Depends on the circumstances. I'd sacrifice my morals for the greater good.
  • Options
    99% of people will kill someone else in an 'me or them' situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Suggests that we can forget our morals quiet easily.
  • Options
    it would really depend...

if someone said i had to kill someone i love inorder to survive then i would happily die, but if someone said i had to give up something or never see someone again on order to live, then i probably would do that...

but i do have very strong morals. they are not fixed though, if i can see a good reason to change it, then i would.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Depends on the circumstances. I'd sacrifice my morals for the greater good.
    Tricky - then you wouldn't be sacrificing your morals, would you? That decision is based on your morals.
  • Options
    I think most people would. If you were starving and had no means to get food otherwise, would you steal?
  • Options
    when my mum was pregnant with me, i'd respect her wishes if she chose to abort me instead as she was considering even if i wouldn't exist to respect that choice in the future
  • Options
    when my mum was pregnant with me, i'd respect her wishes if she chose to abort me instead as she was considering even if i wouldn't exist to respect that choice in the future

Can you respect things when you're a foetus? :confused:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think most people would. If you were starving and had no means to get food otherwise, would you steal?

I'm quite comfortable in my ethical opinion that my life is worth more than someone else's right to ownership. So if me stealing from them to live wouldn't cause them to suffer unduely, then I think I'd be on pretty firm moral ground to do so.
  • Options

Well, yes, but I don't think that's a hard moral question.

However, if you were at starvation point and so was everyone else and someone found an apple - would you club them to death to get it? Lot's of people say of course not - but then until you're in that situation you don't know what you would do
  • Options
    So you made a judgement based on your right to live and someone elses right to ownership. So under stress people would make those kind of judgements and it's natural - to sacrifice some rights because it comes down to survival of the fittest. This goes too far in some cases i.e. internment or rape etc.

But where is the line? Who knows?

And I'm fairly sure when the going gets tough people will become desperate and change how they would make these judgements under rational circumstances. It's a lot easier to justify killing someone for food when you're starving than when you've just had a 3 course meal, afterall. and mindless killing, looting and rape is much more prevalent anywhere where there are tough circumstances, people naturally change the way they think.

And that change in our own way of thinking might not be so terribly far away, just four days.
    Well, yes, but I don't think that's a hard moral question.

However, if you were at starvation point and so was everyone else and someone found an apple - would you club them to death to get it? Lot's of people say of course not - but then until you're in that situation you don't know what you would do

Yes, I think this is the point essentially I was trying to make in this post, people think differently under pressure, and make decisions differently. But purely based on empirical evidence of environments where shit has hit the fan - look at new orleans for an example in a developed country - I think that many people would forsake a lot of their moral objections if they were desperate
  • Options
  • Options
    So you made a judgement based on your right to live and someone elses right to ownership. So under stress people would make those kind of judgements and it's natural - to sacrifice some rights because it comes down to survival of the fittest. This goes too far in some cases i.e. internment or rape etc.

I'm not making a moral judgement at all - I'm saying that all the pat answers about how I'd never take a life or wouldn't act selfishly if my life depended on it are being posted by people sitting behind keyboards - properly fed and not in fear of there own lives. If they were faced with it in reality a fair number would twist the knife into someone's guts without a thought

And I'm fairly sure when the going gets tough people will become desperate and change how they would make these judgements under rational circumstances. It's a lot easier to justify killing someone for food when you're starving than when you've just had a 3 course meal, afterall. and mindless killing, looting and rape is much more prevalent anywhere where there are tough circumstances, people naturally change the way they think.

But the point is that in reality these decisions are hardly ever taken in rational circumstances. Rationally very, very few people in this country will ever face a real kill or be killed situation or be so hungry that they are prepared to smash someone's skull in. As such the answers are false - because they can't imagine the circumstances where it might become true

As an aside I think the rape argument is a bit off beam. People need to sometimes to kill either to stop people killing them or to eat. I'm not convinced that there's very often a need to rape someone.

ETA - you've slightly changed your post and added the final paragraph, so I think we may be in some agreement
  • Options
    I'm not making a moral judgement at all - I'm saying that all the pat answers about how I'd never take a life or wouldn't act selfishly if my life depended on it are being posted by people sitting behind keyboards - properly fed and not in fear of there own lives. If they were faced with it in reality a fair number would twist the knife into someone's guts without a thought

Sorry this first bit was a response to IWS's post when he said his right to live was greater than someone elses right to ownership. Should have made it clearer!

But the point is that in reality these decisions are hardly ever taken in rational circumstances. Rationally very, very few people in this country will ever face a real kill or be killed situation or be so hungry that they are prepared to smash someone's skull in. As such the answers are false - because they can't imagine the circumstances where it might become true

As an aside I think the rape argument is a bit off beam. People need to sometimes to kill either to stop people killing them or to eat. I'm not convinced that there's very often a need to rape someone.

The rape thing is often about power, it's not to do with a need to rape, but again just looking empirically at South Africa over the past week there have been plenty of women who have been raped because things in SA aren't brilliant atm. Especially when there are gangs it becomes a pack mentality where they kill, rape, plunder etc. It probably was a bad example but again, what are people capable of when they're pushed to the edge? I dread to think about it, but until I'm in that kind of situation how can I really say what I would or wouldn't do?
  • Options
    So you made a judgement based on your right to live and someone elses right to ownership. So under stress people would make those kind of judgements and it's natural - to sacrifice some rights because it comes down to survival of the fittest.

That's a decision based on your ethics though. An ethical decision can involve an immoral action. Indeed, it's impossible to do most things without commiting an immoral action, because practically every action you take infringes on another life somewhere down the line. It's still a decision made on your ethical judgement of the situation though. I'm sure everyone has come to a conclusion about what would be ethical, and done the opposite at one time or another, of course. But the question, "will you care about it?" Of course, that's why we feel guilty. But I'm not sure whether the OP is asking about things that go against our personal ethical judgement, or the ethical opinions of society at large. In the case of the second one, in certain cases, I wouldn't think twice about it, and would have a huge grin on my face at the time. :p
  • Options
    The rape thing is often about power, it's not to do with a need to rape, but again just looking empirically at South Africa over the past week there have been plenty of women who have been raped because things in SA aren't brilliant atm. Especially when there are gangs it becomes a pack mentality where they kill, rape, plunder etc. It probably was a bad example but again, what are people capable of when they're pushed to the edge? I dread to think about it, but until I'm in that kind of situation how can I really say what I would or wouldn't do?

I see your point. And I think that's true. The Soviet Army which raped it's way through Germany and the Serb militia in Bosnia went home and led pretty law abiding lives in the main. Some were probably bad, others just turned a blind eye, did it because the enemy were 'untermenschen' or because the others were doing it, or because they could and at home they feared punishment.
  • Options

To be fair though, the Milgram Experiment is more about what happens if someone in 'authority' orders a person to do something against their will, or if autonomy is removed, or if they don't accept responsibility for their actions (I was told to do it m'lord).
  • Options
    Morals are temporary, wisdom is permanent - Hunter S. Thompson

Think it sums it up quite well.
  • Options

This isn't a life or death situation.

But yeah, human beings are brutal creatures.
  • Options

I'm a bit unsure about where you are getting the 99% from?

before the experiment Milgram consulted with 14 psychology majors and they believed only 1.2% of the participants would administer the lethal shock - is this where you are getting 99%

The result of the actual test was that 26 of the 40 participants would conduct the lethal shock - 65 %

Later tests seem to show that the percentage is consistent - 61 - 66% in later tests.

But other than the mistake with the percentage the test is, as mentioned, about following orders and is part of the same kind of experiments as Stanford Prison. Usually post war experiments investigating just how something like the holocaust could have happened.

A better comparison it this experiment than 'them and us' would be whether a soldier should threaten, torture or execute a prisoner because he's been told to by a superior officer - without having seen any evidence of guilt himself.
  • Options
    To be fair though, the Milgram Experiment is more about what happens if someone in 'authority' orders a person to do something against their will, or if autonomy is removed, or if they don't accept responsibility for their actions (I was told to do it m'lord).

But it also shows that normal people are willing to torture someone to death.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I'm a bit unsure about where you are getting the 99% from?.

The 99% is a bit of hyperbole :o . I was pulling out the Milgram experiment to show that ordinary people can be willing to torture others - so if 65% did it for an experiment I extrapolated that another 34% would do it if faced by their own iminent death if they didn't kill the person.
  • Options
    Can you respect things when you're a foetus? :confused:

why i said it's an entirely metaphysial issue but my non-existence would respect her choice

it's like all the paradoxes of time travel lol
  • Options
    why i said it's an entirely metaphysial issue but my non-existence would respect her choice

it's like all the paradoxes of time travel lol

Haha :) you remind me of Dr Who :p