Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Berlusconi makes illegal immigration a crime

He will also "check the living conditions" of EU citizens before granting them residence. A move tailor-made to allow the expulsion of Gypsies, and which breaches fundamental EU laws regarding freedom of movement for its citizens.

And property let to immigrants who turn out not to have Visa or resdience will be "confiscated".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/22/italy1

Might as well make Musolini's grandaughter the Prime Minister of Italy. She's probably more moderate, and far nicer to look at.

What an evil cunt.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hasn't illegal immigration always been a crime? Hence the word illegal.
  • Options
    thats exactly what i would do, this isnt evil - only common sense.
  • Options
    thats exactly what i would do, this isnt evil - only common sense.

You'd confiscate buildings owned by landlords because they've been used by illegal immigrants, even if they didn't know about it.....
    They'res nothing sensical about it, it's facist bullshit. I bet you believe illegal immigrants are responsible for all crimes and stealing people's jobs?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    They'res nothing sensical about it, it's facist bullshit. I bet you believe illegal immigrants are responsible for all crimes and stealing people's jobs?

Not all Crimes, but a lot of them
  • Options
    It is unclear to me which EU laws have been breached by this.

It is reminiscent of the The Immigration (Restrictions on Employment) Order 2007 enacted by the UK government, which came into force in February.
  • Options
    some of it makes sense, like making it a prisonable offence to get your children to beg etc

there's some sense in wanting to change the current legal situation regarding illegal immigrants, which are currently only served a notice to leave - but a prison sentence as punishment doesn't :s

the thing of confiscating property let to illegal immigrants, whether it is known or not is well dodgy from a legal standpoint, though they have a napoleonic style legal system which is a tad different to ours

and i'm sure this is illegal under EU Law
    The cabinet also decided to make unauthorised entry into Italy a crime
    - well to EU citizens anyway because of freedom of movement within EU rules
  • Options
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

LMAO.

Whilst immigrants commit crime, it is nowhere near on the scale when compared to crimes committed by people who are citizens. Immigrants, illegal or not tend to be fairly law abiding. The only real exception is when it comes to motoring offences, but that is more due to ignorance rather than malicious intent.
  • Options

Illegal immigrants are far more likely to be exploited than they are criminal masterminds. Chances are they will be doing jobs which Brits dont want to do for much less than the minimum wage, cleaning and security are the two most obvious.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Illegal immigrants are far more likely to be exploited than they are criminal masterminds. Chances are they will be doing jobs which Brits dont want to do for much less than the minimum wage, cleaning and security are the two most obvious.

By the fact they are Illegal makes them criminals, simple really isnt it.
  • Options

Yes, but that wasnt what you were suggesting, your tone was implying that illegal immigrants commit a disproportionate amount of crime.
  • Options
    Yes, but that wasnt what you were suggesting, your tone was implying that illegal immigrants commit a disproportionate amount of crime.

the fact is that they are not wanted here, so we should get rid of them.
  • Options

Is that illegal immigrants or just immigrants in general?
  • Options
    According to the Mail and the Express.
  • Options

Please remember that you speak for yourself - not for everyone else. The only fact is that you don't have the same view as other people - so don't assume to speak on the behalf of other people.

You don't want 'them' here so you want to get rid of them. Fair enough, that's your view - but it isn't everyones.
  • Options
    Er, not really. Offenders, at the most.

Have you ever got a parking ticket or any driving offence? Have you been late paying your taxes, road licence? Have you ever been drunk in a pub?

Well, you're a criminal then.

There is a difference between offences and crimes. Specially when the "criminal" act in question is fleeing death and famine to another country without having the appropriate paperwork first.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There is a difference between offences and crimes. Specially when the "criminal" act in question is fleeing death and famine to another country without having the appropriate paperwork first.

For many years (not sure its still the case) most illegal immigrants in the UK were white common wealth country people over staying their visas, its the same in Auz too.

And of course you could argue that most of the countries people leave to get here have been royaly messed around with by the UK in the past.
  • Options

Aren't they? This country is founded on immigration, the only people who have been here all along are the Scottish and the Welsh. The rest of us are a mix of German, Italian, French and Danish.
  • Options
    For many years (not sure its still the case) most illegal immigrants in the UK were white common wealth country people over staying their visas, its the same in Auz too.

You could go way back to the Magna Carta, or even further to Alfred the Great\'s introduction of the Common Law, and it was held that even someone regarded elsewhere as a slave or Negro fell under the protection of the common law the moment he landed in England, and instantly became a common law freeman.

But, alas, the People have spoken and rejected those doctrines of personal responsibilty.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Aren't they? This country is founded on immigration, the only people who have been here all along are the Scottish and the Welsh. The rest of us are a mix of German, Italian, French and Danish.

So?

I'd be surprised to find out that most British people nowadays want illegal immigrants here. People don't like the idea of others breaking the law and getting away with it. Which, of course, is why the Lib-Dems, forever out of touch with the average man, have been making noises about amnesty.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    So?

I'd be surprised to find out that most British people nowadays want illegal immigrants here. People don't like the idea of others breaking the law and getting away with it.
    Oh yes they do. Depending on their leanings and beliefs, they're perfectly happy for people to break the law when they drive; or when they drink; or when they refuse to pay council tax; or when they take drugs. Etc etc.

Needless to say, the very concept that a person fleeing extreme poverty, war or death should simply stay put and meet their fate because otherwise they'd be breaking the law if they enter another country illegally is too absurd for words. As is the suggestion that any rational and decent human being would hold the fact that a person fleeing such situation has commited an offence by crossing borders against them. Let's try to have some sense of proportion and a pinch of common sense shall we?
  • Options
    Oh yes they do. Depending on their leanings and beliefs, they're perfectly happy for people to break the law when they drive; or when they drink; or when they refuse to pay council tax; or when they take drugs. Etc etc.

Driving and drinking aren't against the law though.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that most people who pay council tax like the idea of people not paying council tax and getting away with it. Obviously people who break the law by taking drugs, and people who think there's nothing wrong with that, are happy for it to go on. I may be wrong, but I don't think they count as 'most people'; I think most decent people in Britain believe in the rule of law; they may not like or agree with a law, but they'll follow it as long as it is the law, and they're not going to be 'perfectly happy' for others to get away with not doing the same.
    Needless to say, the very concept that a person fleeing extreme poverty, war or death should simply stay put and meet their fate because otherwise they'd be breaking the law if they enter another country illegally is too absurd for words.

Absurd indeed. I'm not sure who you're referring to though, i'm not suggesting that. How do you know why every illegal immigrant has come into the UK? They're all here 'fleeing extreme poverty, war or death' are they? At any rate those fleeing 'war or death' can apply for asylum and many do, and many are accepted.
    As is the suggestion that any rational and decent human being would hold the fact that a person fleeing such situation has commited an offence by crossing borders against them. Let's try to have some sense of proportion and a pinch of common sense shall we?

The fact is that illegal immigrants, whose reasons for being here you don't know, have committed an offence. And it is an offence because uncontrolled immigration can lead to problems for the host nation. It can be a danger not to know who is coming into the country and with what intentions. A nation has every right to decide for itself who it allows into it. Let's try to be a little less sanctimonious and look at the bigger picture, shall we?
  • Options
    Driving and drinking aren't against the law though.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that most people who pay council tax like the idea of people not paying council tax and getting away with it. Obviously people who break the law by taking drugs, and people who think there's nothing wrong with that, are happy for it to go on. I may be wrong, but I don't think they count as 'most people'; I think most decent people in Britain believe in the rule of law; they may not like or agree with a law, but they'll follow it as long as it is the law, and they're not going to be 'perfectly happy' for others to get away with not doing the same.
    Re drivers: the immense majority (I'd say easily 99%) of drivers have, at one point or another, gone over the speed limit, done a U turn where they weren't allowed when it was quiet, parked on a double yellow for a few moments a night, or any one of dozens of other motoring offences. And few people would hold it against them. Indeed, you actually have certain newspapers and lobby groups defending the right of drivers to break the law, complaining of "persecution" when they are caught and penalised, and speaking of "war on the motorist" simply because the authorities are trying to uphold the law. By happy coincidence those newspapers are the very same ones that complain about immigrants or drug takers. I look forward to the Mail and the Express moaning about "war on the drug taker" the next time someone gets arrested and punished for possession of drugs.

Those very newspapers have also cheered law breakers who refuse to pay council tax in protest about something or other. And left leaning papers often defend the right to take certain drugs for personal use and question the laws that penalise it.

As for drinkers, anyone who has ever been drunk in a pub has broken the law. Find me a single person who finds that deplorable.

Yes, of course most people condone breaking certain laws. Very, very few people will adhere to the law 100% and condemn those who don't
  • Options
    Absurd indeed. I'm not sure who you're referring to though, i'm not suggesting that. How do you know why every illegal immigrant has come into the UK? They're all here 'fleeing extreme poverty, war or death' are they? At any rate those fleeing 'war or death' can apply for asylum and many do, and many are accepted.

The fact is that illegal immigrants, whose reasons for being here you don't know, have committed an offence. And it is an offence because uncontrolled immigration can lead to problems for the host nation. It can be a danger not to know who is coming into the country and with what intentions. A nation has every right to decide for itself who it allows into it. Let's try to be a little less sanctimonious and look at the bigger picture, shall we?
    The argument that there is a need to control immigration is quite different from whether those who have entered the country illegally are "criminals", or indeed whether anyone should think they're not worthy of being here because they have broken the law.

Even those who were not escaping tragic and very serious circumstances and who simply were trying to lead a better life out of poverty deserve our sympathy. If the country cannot take and infinite number of them, send some back by all means, but let's not suggest people are not worthy of being here becaue they broke the law by coming here without a visa. There is nothing wrong with people trying to secure a decent life for themselves and escape poverty.
  • Options

I assume by "get rid of" you mean repatriation and not genocide? A fine example of hate speech nonetheless.

Does you definition extend to Australians and Americans who overstay on their visa?

If we're serious about fighting organised crime and people trafficking then we need to tackle illegal immigration. And immigration needs to be balanced with economic considerations and local sensitivities. Nobody in any seriousness can advocate some kind of anarchical free for all. However, criminalising individual illegal immigrants (as well as being inhumane) serves no purpose.
  • Options
    If an illegal immigrant manages to make it to this country (let's face it, it isn't easy) then the very least they can expect is to have their case heard fairly before we decide to deport them, not just deported straight away because they are illegal.

They aren't responsible for crime waves, they don't steal peoples' jobs (unless loads of people here want a career in vegetable picking or cleaning factory floors) and 99% of them keep their heads down and wait for their cases to be heard. Even the ones that vanish resurface on the grid at some point and are then dealt with..
  • Options
    If they where really in fair for there lives they would stop at the first safe country, not go all the way though Europe to get here, the fact is they come here wanting hand outs, and thinking they will get a easy life here.
  • Options
    If they where really in fair for there lives they would stop at the first safe country, not go all the way though Europe to get here, the fact is they come here wanting hand outs, and thinking they will get a easy life here.

Most of them do. Whilst the Daily Mail prints stories about floods of asylum seekers e.t.c., the number is in the thousands.

African countries with neither the money or the resources regularly take in MILLIONS of asylum seekers and refugees.

In Iraq for example over 4 million people have fled the country. Where are they all, because they certainly aren't here.
    Before you badger on about immigrants coming here and taking our jobs and stealing our money, you need to get your facts straight.
  • Options
    Get your facts right: illegal immigrants do not get "hand outs" of any kind, and they don't come here looking for them.

Stop parrotting BNPesque bullshit if you will.
  • Options