Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Did Joey Barton get off too lightly?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did he get off too lightly and do you think he should be allowed to play football again?

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iZO5QdIgEhml23UHOl_uYTVv2qtw

6 months sounds a bit lean to me

Also with footballers being role models for kids don't know if I'd want him playing for my team.

Comments

• Options
    6 months is a shite sentence, but it's to be expected. Judges often say how shocking an attack was then follow it up with a shitty sentence. 1 year at least.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    6 months is a shite sentence, but it's to be expected. Judges often say how shocking an attack was then follow it up with a shitty sentence. 1 year at least.

Yeah, the amount of money is a joke too, £2500 is petty cash to Premiership Players.

I hope the FA follow it up with a severe ban at least.

I'm a Newcastle Utd fan as well...:(

Edit: Has the verdict for his assault on a fellow player at Man City come in yet?
  • Options
    I'm a big believer in poetic justice - I think 1 month per punch would be more like it - punches a guy 20 times gets 20 months in prison.
  • Options

Edit: Has the verdict for his assault on a fellow player at Man City come in yet?

As far as I'm aware he's still on bail, as he was during this attack, for the alleged assault on Ousmane Dabo during a training session and is also awaiting trial for alleged criminal damage of a taxi.

What about the stubbing the cigar out in the youth player's eye? Can't see what's happened to that.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    What about the stubbing the cigar out in the youth player's eye? Can't see what's happened to that.

I think they just set Richard Dunne on the little wanker.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: best £5.8m we ever made.
  • Options
    I really hope the odious cunt gets what's coming to him in prison.
  • Options
    There does seem to be something wrong with sentances, for things like this they should be longer, but for other issues community based punishments are far more effective.
  • Options
    I'd be very interested to know what the average sentences were for people that did a similar thing. Six months seems way too short -

£2,500 compensation for the 16 year who's teeth he knocked out seem low as well - to get his teeth repaired by a private dentist could easily cost as much as that.

Joey Barton get's like £60,000 a week salary.

And what about compensation for the person he punched 20 times?

Is it me or do the papers, etc all go easy on footballers when there's a chance they'll be playing for England in the future?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/21/newcastleunited.ukcrime
  • Options
    Six months in prison? Six months, my arse. Knowing our "justice system" in this country, he'll be out in three as long as he's a good widdle boy. The only thing that this thuggish Barton creature should receive as punishment is a very long period of hard labour. That might knock his ego down to size.

Should be ever play football again? No, of course not. However, morality has never been an issue that's bothered the moguls who run "the beautiful game", (what a sick joke that phrase is) so we will almost certainly see him back.
  • Options
    If I were the lad who got punched I'd take the toss piece to civil court and sue him
  • Options
    He's gonna ge the sack from Newcastle by the look of things.
    I can't believe Keegan defended him
  • Options
    He is fucking disgraceful and yes, he got off WAY too lightly. Fuck being sacked from Newcastle, he should be banned from playing professional football ever again and get locked up for at least 4 or 5 years.
    I HATE it when footballers think they can behave like this and get away with it because they're rich and famous....they're still fucking humans like the rest of us, and they're role models. Does he think behaving like this will earn him respect? Does he think he's gonna get in the England squad?!!
    Look at what happened to Lee Bowyer's career...he was my favourite Leeds player until all that shit happened.
  • Options
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again: best £5.8m we ever made.

My thoughts exactly.
    Despite the assurances of his club manager Kevin Keegan that Barton is a changed man,

Right.:yeees:
  • Options
    i do reckon the sentance is short, but i don't see how questioning if he plays football again is relevant. Regardless if you consider it a hobby or a career, how do you ban someone playing football (for life) for something unrelated to the football pitch?