Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Careers in finance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll be graduating in June. Almost certain I've done enough in my exams to get a 2:1. That's Psychology BSc from Edinburgh University.

Planning on taking some time out to work for a while before going travelling. I'm also trying to think more long term though. I don't want to pursue further study or a career in Psychology, and looking at graduate options, finance seems to have the best opportunities from the widest range of employers.

The thing is, whilst I'd be willing to pursue a career in finance, my knowledge of the area is very weak. Most of the best employers are quite happy to take on graduates from any discipline, so long as you have a 2:1 from a good institution, so I know they mustn't expect you to be an expert.

The other thing is that there are so many different sectors within finance, such as tax, assurance etc that it's difficult to know which area would be best for me to get into. So does anyone have good knowledge of the financial sector and what it's like to have a career in it, or to be on a graduate scheme? Where would be a good source of information on the type of work involved in each area?