Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Desperately broke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My university has no money left to give students from hard up backgrounds and I am really struggling. Our bills are huge and I won't be able to afford next month's rent.

I have found out I haven't been means tested by my LEA, so they are sending a form to my Mum. She has recently divorced my repulsive stepfather, so she is struggling hard too.

I was wondering if anybody knows anywhere that can help me out. I hope the LEA can give me a bit of money, but at the moment am worried as hell about even being able to afford food.

I can't cancel my phone contract, as they will charge me hundreds.

I'm basically a bit fucked and contemplating taking out a bank loan. I don't want to take on another job as I have exams and assignments.

Any advice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Don't the LEA alter your loan if your situation changes? My housemate in halls dad became seriously ill during the first year and she got some grants and stuff.
  • Options
    Don't the LEA alter your loan if your situation changes? My housemate in halls dad became seriously ill during the first year and she got some grants and stuff.

Yeah, I didn't know that.

They're gonna reassess me.
  • Options
    i think you can apply for a hardship loan and grant, used to be £500 each when i was a student, and i managed to get both even though i wasn't that hard up, ask your su about it.
  • Options
    i think you can apply for a hardship loan and grant, used to be £500 each when i was a student, and i managed to get both even though i wasn't that hard up, ask your su about it.

:yes:

ditto, I got £700 hardship loan, which made for a nice little trip to New York. :thumb:
  • Options

well student funding services have told me there's nothing they can do.

I cannot get a grant as it's too late in the year and there's no funding for it. I could ask my student union I guess...
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

I cannot get a grant as it's too late in the year and there's no funding for it. I could ask my student union I guess...

I would ask them because at least then they can advocacte on your behalf to the university for you.

Plus you finish soon (I think your in your final year or am i wrong?) so if the worst comes to the worst you could get a small bank loan to tide you over for the next month or two and then get a job to pay it back when your exams are over.
  • Options

That's really bad, normally they have plenty left over.

Shit situation to be in, only thing I can suggest is extend your overdraft if possible until your money from the SLC comes through.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    :yes:

ditto, I got £700 hardship loan, which made for a nice little trip to New York. :thumb:

Not to take the thread off topic, but is it difficult to apply? I got a form once and they said that wanted all your bank statements, your parents bank statements, all your bills, written statements justifying why you need it etc. and it put me off.. (my brother got it, mums not earning so it helps over the summer)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    That's really bad, normally they have plenty left over.

Shit situation to be in, only thing I can suggest is extend your overdraft if possible until your money from the SLC comes through.

Welcome to my university.

:)

I found it hard to believe too... They ran out last month.

In fact, student services are quite appauling. My councilling stopped randomly too and they told me I'd have to go somewhere outside of university instead.

Yeah right, like I have the fucking time.

ETA: London is crazy man... Like seriously expensive, everything is!
  • Options
    Get in touch with the welfare officer at your students union. They should be able to sort something out. Also get in touch with your tutor and tell them that you're going to have to drop out and not finish the course unless you find some money from somewhere.

The uni should be able to sort something out through various sources for a short while.

I take it you've tried getting the bank to extend your overdraft?
  • Options
    Welcome to my university.

:)

I found it hard to believe too... They ran out last month.

In fact, student services are quite appauling. My councilling stopped randomly too and they told me I'd have to go somewhere outside of university instead.

Yeah right, like I have the fucking time.

ETA: London is crazy man... Like seriously expensive, everything is!

tell me about it, 6 beers in battersea village last night came to £35, i was like wtf.....failing the hardship loan you can probably get an overdraft extension depending on your current limit and what year you're in, my bank used to tier it so in yr 2 i was eligible for £1000 but i managed to get £1600 out of them with a few sob stories, so it's worth a go.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Not to take the thread off topic, but is it difficult to apply? I got a form once and they said that wanted all your bank statements, your parents bank statements, all your bills, written statements justifying why you need it etc. and it put me off.. (my brother got it, mums not earning so it helps over the summer)

It isn't that difficult. I had to provide 3 months of bank statements with noites explaining any amount over £100 and a written supporting statement of why you need it. I got £2000 in my final year.
  • Options
    God I am pissed off...

My university has such shit student services :mad:

I am so annoyed that there is no money left... How can it all have run out in April? They must have been giving huge grants or had hardly any money to start with.

Grrrr

Fingers crossed my LEA can help.
  • Options