Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prisoners pay rise blocked.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just don't believe that giving them £4 Prison isn't always the best way of dealing with criminals, and what's best for society should always come before what's best for them. t's easier and cheaper for the government to give them £4 a weekso they can say they're doing something.

Fucking ridiculous!
    Prison is one of the best tools we have for dealing with criminals ...trouble is the jails are bulging at the seams with the wrong people.
    They are not given four pounds a week so the government can pretend they are doing something!
    The four quid is for soap and stuff.
  • Options
    I have a plan.....

Issue them with what they need, having bulk bought and save the £4 and the wages of the guy running the shop.
  • Options
    I have a plan.....

Issue them with what they need, having bulk bought and save the £4 and the wages of the guy running the shop.

I completely agree with this. It would save a lot of effort.
    Prison should be used for certain criminals, who have commited dangerous crimes, but many people who are put in prison don't need to be there, and while they are there they're wasting time and money.
  • Options
    The vast majority of criminals...once transferred out of the city centre jails end up working. More or less everything a prison uses or consumes is created within a jail ...by prisoners. They have huge textile factories churning out denim and othr cotton goods to make prison uniforms ...the excess is sold on the open market. Chairs beds plastics food ...all produced by the prisoners. Wymott prison manufacture kevlar for bullet proof vests and build full size model helicopters for use in training by the fire services and army. Electrical goods are assembled for outside contractors. Huge laundries do all the washing of clothes and bedding ...the biggest laundry in europe being in Wymott prison ...this laundry does the washing for a lot of jauils and hospitals in the north west ...top wage ...six pounds an hour.
    So they are basicly labour camps ...happy now?
  • Options
    Just to you know I'm never happy which is why I don't want anyone else to be.
    If people in prison are making things to be sold then they should get to share the profits between them, if they're making things to be used in the prison then they're pretty much working for the things they need like everybody else does, so I don't think they get paid for that. Someone who decides to make their own bread or grow their own vegetables doesn't get paid by the hour do they?
    I'm aware that many prisoners probably are exploited, but so are a lot of people.
  • Options
    Just to you know I'm never happy which is why I don't want anyone else to be.
    If people in prison are making things to be sold then they should get to share the profits between them, if they're making things to be used in the prison then they're pretty much working for the things they need like everybody else does, so I don't think they get paid for that. Someone who decides to make their own bread or grow their own vegetables doesn't get paid by the hour do they?
    I'm aware that many prisoners probably are exploited, but so are a lot of people.
    I give up.
  • Options
    Let them eat cake...
  • Options
    Theres a huge ammount of prisoners who shouldn't be there ...the sad and pathetic as opposed to the wicked. Prison is not filled with scary people who need punishing ...the majority need some kind of help/education/medicine.

in some cases thats true. i know a guy who is currently serving 6 months inside for getting drunk one night and getting into a fight. no previous convictions, etc he'd been drinking and on a short fuse becasue he lost his job and he hit a guy.
    he is a nice guy and i'm sure that was a one off but he was charged and convicted. it was a moments lapse of sanity, but that doesn't excuse his behaviour that night and now he's paying for it.
    as well as punishing though, prision can also be a way of getting help. i happen to know of a heroin addict who was more than happy to go to prison because they realized they needed help and going to prision was the way they saw to get that help.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    i know a guy who is currently serving 6 months inside for getting drunk one night and getting into a fight. no previous convictions, etc he'd been drinking and on a short fuse becasue he lost his job and he hit a guy.
    as well as punishing though, prision can also be a way of getting help. i happen to know of a heroin addict who was more than happy to go to prison because they realized they needed help and going to prision was the way they saw to get that help.
    Guys have been punching each other for ever and before. Six months fir a first time offence is ridiculous. It's going to do what for joe public?
    It's going to cost joe public how much?
    It's adding to an impossible to sustain prison population.
    It's going to effect this young man in a ..........manner?
    It's going to effect his family in a .......manner?
    It's going to effect his health ...housing ....job prospects to a....or ...degree?
    The chances of him ending up on drugs are ...?
    The chances are his life could now fall apart and he finds a different kind of person interesting ...talented ...funny ...lo=ving ...?
    The odds the guys life has been fucked are ....?
  • Options
    otter wrote: »

Missed this bit ...when i was strung out on heroin ...i was thrown in jail ...never touched it inside ...or ever again.:D
  • Options
    Without meaning to sound insensitive, everyone has scars from their childhood. I agree that you should have been helped instead of being sent to prison, which would have been easier for everyone, particularly if you were helped before the serious problems started.
    I don't think you can hold the government, police or courts responsible for the serious crimes that take place, or the fact that criminals in prison are seperated from family. If you're aware that a likely consequence of an action is going to prison, by taking that action you're pretty much consenting to being sent to prison.