Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oracle Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right guys. Interview on the 7th. Nervous as you'd expect. This is my first proper interview so i'm not totally sure what to expect.

I'm doing my research on the role thats being offered and abit about the company.

The interview/ assessment day consists of a face to face interview, group exercises and verbal and diagrammatic tests.

How should i go about preparing for it?

Comments

• Options
    Try doing some of the test on here :thumb:
  • Options
    Have they told you what skills and competencies they are looking for, or any more about the exercises? I recently attended an assessment centre and knew there were six core competencies they were looking for (with different competencies in different exercises) so was able to prepare by having these in mind.
  • Options
    also make sure you do as much research about the company as you can - doing that often helps you to see the sort of person they're after and the sort of skills they want so you can make sure you can give good examples of the things they look for and also have some questions to ask them.
    definitely prepare as much as you can - it'll make you feel much less nervous on the day knowing you're ready for the sorts of things they'll expect you to do.
  • Options
    Yeah i'm going over the job ad over and over to pick out key words and stuff. Then im trying to relate that to past experience and what i could offer.

But what exactly do i research about the company? Its HUGE, there website has so much stuff. I've picked out what there 4 "Visions" are and in the phone interview they asked what i know, where i blabbed on about who founded it and all that crap.
  • Options
    Didn't get it :(

They said the standard was really high amongst the candidates there and that it was a shame there were only 2 positions as i really impressed them with my interview and group exercise. My tests weren't great mind but still ... ANNOYING!!! :(
  • Options
    Yeah but not everyone is even worth Oracle time, consider it a learning curve, kiddo!

Proud of you nonetheless for getting so far! x
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Didn't get it :(

They said the standard was really high amongst the candidates there and that it was a shame there were only 2 positions as i really impressed them with my interview and group exercise. My tests weren't great mind but still ... ANNOYING!!! :(

Shame you didn't get the job, but...
    If they said they were impressed by your interview straight out, I wouldn't hesitate to send in an "open" application. That way they will know you're keen on the job in the future. Might also be a good option to ask your interviewer if you can refer to them next time you're in touch with the company.
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Shame you didn't get the job, but...
    If they said they were impressed by your interview straight out, I wouldn't hesitate to send in an "open" application. That way they will know you're keen on the job in the future. Might also be a good option to ask your interviewer if you can refer to them next time you're in touch with the company.

Well there were only 2 positions for the internship so i can't really go back there.

But she did say i could try the graduate scheme in a few years time.

Shame though, really wanted that job. Bit of a rush now to find another job before time runs out!
  • Options
    Well there were only 2 positions for the internship so i can't really go back there.

But she did say i could try the graduate scheme in a few years time.

Shame though, really wanted that job. Bit of a rush now to find another job before time runs out!

Didn't mean for those two internships specifically. I meant sending an open application in general to their HR department or something like that. Big corporations like Oracle are often very bureaucratic and need for new emplyers is not necessarily communicated to the ones responsible for "creating new positions" formally. If you're very lucky you'll get in touch with a manager directly who happens to need more people. Perhaps.

The thing is that putting a new job on display can be a very tedious and expensive process for the department/manager in question, so if that person has access to some candidates that have previously been in touch with Oracle it might be a fair chance.

It's all about not being afraid to "sell" yourself and grab opportunities ;)
  • Options
    Well there applications are done through there recruitment side. So your just saying what? .. send my cv and a letter to there HR department and see?
  • Options
    Well there applications are done through there recruitment side. So your just saying what? .. send my cv and a letter to there HR department and see?

No, not necessarily HR. That was just an example. If your opiniton is that the recruitment office has a good overview of the entire corporation and what kind of skills that are needed where, send it to them. Unless they specifically state that they do not accept open applications whatsoever.

I just mean that an open application is common in many corporations.
    It is an application where you don't apply for a specific position but still puts your interest on display for upcoming jobs.

Maybe it's not traditionally a thing they do in Oracle. Well then, try and surprise them a bit. It might be dead end, it might give you a chance later on. Nothing is certain, but neither is an interview for a specific position.

I'm not saying rely entirely on that, apply for other jobs as well.
  • Options
    Well moving on i've bagged myself an interview with IFPI (if anyone knows who that is) :)

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I haven't a clue mate lol.
  • Options
    Well, guess who called back the other day .. yep Oracle :)

They called to let me know there is another role open and they forwarded my profile to the line manager to have a look and she wants a phone interview.

Was meant to have it today, but they never rang! Which is slightly odd so will have to wait till Tuesday now. But still was a nice surprise :)
  • Options
    Well, guess who called back the other day .. yep Oracle :)

They called to let me know there is another role open and they forwarded my profile to the line manager to have a look and she wants a phone interview.

Was meant to have it today, but they never rang! Which is slightly odd so will have to wait till Tuesday now. But still was a nice surprise :)

!!!!:yippe:!!!!

Spot on, shitepipe. x :)
  • Options
    Hmm its abit annoying though i suppose.

Was meant to be at 11am .. waited till 12:30 and no one had rung .. emailed the recruitment lady, she apologised and said she would get back me .. and never did and had no phone call. I suppose something came up.
  • Options
    Yeah, don't take it persoanlly, just do the same as you did before and give them a polite prod. fingers crossed for ya
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Yeah, don't take it persoanlly, just do the same as you did before and give them a polite prod. fingers crossed for ya

Aye. They will get back in touch :)

Keep em crossed for me eh ... permantely :)
  • Options
    Have my fingers and toes crossed for ya sweetie ;)
  • Options

Keep em crossed for me eh ... permantely :)

pfft! dunno bout that love. I have my reputation to think of, imagine tha taunts and newspaper reports "Young woman vows to keep fingers crossed for random internet aquaintance!"
  • Options
    pfft! dunno bout that love. I have my reputation to think of, imagine tha taunts and newspaper reports "Young woman vows to keep fingers crossed for random internet aquaintance!"

:lol:
  • Options

Random?! RANDOM?!
    :crying:

You said i was the one, the only one and there could be no one else ever.
  • Options
    Welll finally had my phone interview today. Seemed to go ok, the lady was nice and i seemed to answer everything well.

She wants me now to have a conference call with the rest of the team (3 other people) on Tuesday. Never been in a call like that, 3 different people at once. Something new for me.

But fingers crossed :)