Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

toning arms

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I am wanting to tone my arms, and got some 0.5kg weights.

I have just been arsing around with them really, I do 10 mins a day and just wave my arms around.

How long should I do it for and what type of 'movements' should I do - I dont want muscles, I just want my bingo wings gone.

I am also on Weight Watchers (which is working rather well) so if I do lose a decent amount of weight, I dont want saggy underarm skin.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when i breifly joined the gym the guy there told me that a really good one to do is to lean on a bench with one arm on the bench and that same knee bent on the floor so your kneeling on it. Stretch the other leg out straigtht behind you so putting the pressure on your toes. With that arm have the weight so its in your hand, with the palm facing forwardand hand pointing to the floor, then straighten your arm from the elbow and lift it backwards for 10 secs then repeat DO this a few times on each side.
    I hope that makes sense, Its one of them things that its easier to show!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I am wanting to tone my arms, and got some 0.5kg weights.

I have just been arsing around with them really, I do 10 mins a day and just wave my arms around.

How long should I do it for and what type of 'movements' should I do - I dont want muscles, I just want my bingo wings gone.

I am also on Weight Watchers (which is working rather well) so if I do lose a decent amount of weight, I dont want saggy underarm skin.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Seriously - buy some heavier weights. 0.5kgs are not going to do a thing. In fact, throw them away, you'd be better doing bodyweight exercises - Katralla has posted suggestions several times now.
  • Options
    0.5kg is verrrrry light!
    do bicep curls with some heavier weights. and do some tricep push ups on a chair or something.
  • Options
    Tangent:

Women with toned arms = HOT :hyper:
  • Options
    You need cardio to lose the fat around the muscle. You cant spot reduce it remember. Use heavy weights, 3 sets of 12. Last set you go to failure. You're not going to grow like a man would so dont worry.
  • Options
    I started off on 2kg weights, doing bicep curls, overhead tricep extensions, tricep dips etc. Now I'm on 3kg weights.

In order to 'tone' your arms, you will need to gain muscle. I'm not sure what you expect weight lifting will do for you, if you don't want muscle.
  • Options
    I'd get some heavier weights, the ones you have really want make any difference!
    You can get sets for quite cheap at Argos and places like JJB. I got a set of 3 from Argos for under £20, it has a pair of 2.5kg, 3kg and 5kg.
  • Options
    You would do much better getting a set of these:

weights

and some gloves to go with them.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »

weights

Ooh they look good, may have to invest in some when I get paid :chin: :yes:
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »

weights

Random question - do you need two of them or can you do stuff with just one? My housemate has one similar (although I can't lift it, he says you can adjust the weight) but it is a single, not a pair. I'm so new with things like this :blush:
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Random question - do you need two of them or can you do stuff with just one? My housemate has one similar (although I can't lift it, he says you can adjust the weight) but it is a single, not a pair. I'm so new with things like this :blush:

Single limb exercises are very effective as one side is always going to be weaker than the other so you can adjust the weight to suit - which means you can focus more on the weaker side, without the stronger side kicking in and making up the difference. It also engages the core more as you need more balance.
  • Options
    get a power ball :)
  • Options
    put them down and do some push ups, pull ups and chair dips :D