Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

PGCEs: funding and deciding?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm considering applying for a PGCE, but have to get a move on as my application needs to be in by the end of June.

I'm getting really confused, especially regarding funding. The site says something about fees of 3.5K, then mentions something about the possibility of a bursary but doesn't make it clear. I don't know if I can afford to do it. Is it viable to work part time while doing a PGCE? The course I'm looking at would be working in a college or prison 3 days a week and in uni 2 days.

I can't make my mind up. I'm wary of going down another career path and then a few years down the line changing yet again. How do you ever know if you're going to stick at something?

I've been teaching adults and really enjoying it and feel it's something I could do well, but it seems like such a big commitment. I'm already in a lot of debt from my undergraduate degree and to take on another 3.5 grand is a big deal.

I'm not back in the UK till June, which is a bit late to see a careers advisor. Can I even see a careers advisor without paying? So many questions...I know there are some people who have done PGCEs on here. Hopefully someone can help :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What would you be teaching? The bursarys avaliable very to a certain extent between subjects.
  • FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi, have you got the contact details for the course you want to do? It might be worth sending them an email asking for their advice regarding funding they?d know who you could get in touch with at least?
    Other than that, is there a contact us section on the site you are looking at, you could get in touch with them directly. You should be able to see a careers advice finder without paying, try searching the local advice finder for your nearest careers advice people for when you do return to the UK.
    Finally you could get in touch with the course and highlight that you are interested but not in the UK so can they offer you some advice over the telephone /email or can they accept applications at a later stage, its always worth a go?
    I hope it all works out for the best.
    Fiz
    im currently doing a pgce secondary science, and i got a £9000 bursary for the year. You have to pay for the course, which was about £3300, but i applied for a student loan to pay for the course.
    I think if you dont do a course that is really needed then its £5000 bursary, but im not sure. I would phone up the place youre interested in, and also look up information on the tda website, which i found to be very helpful.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Paying for the course will depend on your original degree. I was told that as my previous degree wasn't one that led directly to a career, it would be funded. I also took out student loan and all primary teachers were given a £6k bursary.

Of course, it can vary from course to course. Get in touch with student services wherever it is you plan to study. If they don't know they will be able to direct you to who will know :)
    You might find this website useful for some info on funding:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit.aspx

The bursary that you get does depend on the subject you want to teach and also the age range; trainees in shortage subjects get paid 9k a year to train, other secondary subjects get 6k, primary school get 4k.

You do have to pay tuition fees just like another year at university, however you can apply for a student loan to cover those. You may also be entitled to other grants but the best thing to do is talk to your potential training provider about it.

If you do decide to change careers a few years down the line it isn't the end of the world; having experience as a teacher will be valuable whatever you choose to do, and teaching is something you could always go back to later on and is quite flexible in lots of ways.

Good luck deciding!
    sorry to go off the topic but im going to do my lpc this September, and as i am borrowing money from my bf to do it as i would never be able to afford it otherwise is funding available for this..
    and sorry for going off topic again :)