Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tesco Delivery service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, so the tesco within walking distance to me has closed (and I don't own a car).

I am curious about the standard of tesco online delivery service for fresh fruit and veg.

i.e if i ordered a lettuce, will they send me one with 2 days until the best before, or 5/6 days?

just curious about this kind of stuff really :)

Anyone use them and able to tell me?! I'd be much appreciative!
J

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I used them I bought loose veg so no BB date. I think all my cold stuff had a reasonable amount of time left. I don't look at them when I'm shopping anyway!
    You see, I'm only going to use it for my fresh stuff ... as that's all I eat these days.

What's the procedure when the delivery man comes anyways?
    Do you just take it, say thanks.

Or do you have a rifle through and say what's wrong (if anything?) - or do you get a refund from him there and then?

I'm such a naive fool when it comes to online grocery shopping! :)
    I just thought a man went around Tesco collecting your shopping like you would any other day. Brought it to your house, dropped it off in his little blue baskets and drove away. If you had a problem then you'd deal with it like you would if you brought food from the shop. Ring up and complain and see what they say about it.
    BritJamez wrote: »
    You see, I'm only going to use it for my fresh stuff ... as that's all I eat these days.

What's the procedure when the delivery man comes anyways?
    Do you just take it, say thanks.

Or do you have a rifle through and say what's wrong (if anything?) - or do you get a refund from him there and then?

I'm such a naive fool when it comes to online grocery shopping! :)

He gives you a list of what he's substituted so you can accept or reject it. I just take it and say thanks, I dunno what else you would do! I don't rifle through, but if there's anything wrong I guess you can ring em back up again

I've never had anything wrong, but they brought my friend's shopping twice and my friends dad and him both signed for it and they had to ring them up and get them to take it away again :lol: It was hilarious
    J wrote: »
    That's impersonation that is! :p

says he, 2 years younger :p
    hehe
    they gave you your list and let you know if there are any substitutes e.g if you wanted cornflakes but there werent any, they might offer you shreddies or whatever. and you let them know if you're happy with that substitute or not. they can sometimes be quite random but it's usually ok.
    as for dates and how fresh it is, i find it varies. maybe it depends on who did the shopping? sometimes ive had stuff and its dates up the next day but most things are reasonable.
    Cool - well thanks all - I will let you know tomorrow how my first tesco delivery comes ... 9 -11pm ... sheesh ... fingers crossed!
    The sweet potatoes that Tesco bring me always go manky by the next day but they're fine for ages when I buy them myself. That's the only problem I've had though, the rest of the fresh stuff seems to be fine :)
    Their substitutions are sometimes so random! And they'll substitute some things but not others, like the other day they substituted egg noodles for rice noodles (not really what I wanted!) yet didn't give me any substitution for tea bags or pitta breads (which are pretty basic items surely!)

Apart from that, it's ok. I buy the loose veg and its ok apart from they often give me the smallest peppers etc. I do quite miss going to the supermarket myself but there isn't one near me in central london.
    Sometimes i have had the hugest peppers and loose stuff!

The only time i have ever had a problem with tescos delivery is when they were half an hour late, due to one of the trucks breaking down, and some poor lad having double the number of runs in one truck. I rang up and thats when i found out why they were late, they refunded my delivery and gave me free delivery on my next order.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    BritJamez wrote: »
    Cool - well thanks all - I will let you know tomorrow how my first tesco delivery comes ... 9 -11pm ... sheesh ... fingers crossed!
    11pm?! I wouldnt want to wait up for Tesco at 11pm!!
    JsT wrote: »
    11pm?! I wouldnt want to wait up for Tesco at 11pm!!
    he lies....he's always up at 11pm :p
    well, pretty impressive.

8:58 and he arrives, talks me through the whole process, and I am happy as larry, whoever larry is!

one item substituted (salad dressing) - but i don't mind going full fat for a week i guess!
    I've recently gone back to Tesco's delivery and so far had mixed experiences...

First week they tried to substitute £5 worth of free range chicken breast with £9 worth of organic, not free range chicken breast - rejected it which wasn't a problem..

Also discovered 5 days later that the milk they sent had 2 days left on the use by... didn't realise until went to use it and found it sky high - rang them up and they instantly refunded the money... wasn't impressed about that at all and was tempted to complain but at least they dealt with it ok.

Last week had an order which was fine but had an inkling to check the eggs before the bloke left, found one was broken and he refunded them immediately but left them with me so go 5 intact eggs free!

Trying to decide whether to try Sainsbury's as they stock TimTams but not sure if that is a good enough reason ;)
    Splodgey wrote: »

Trying to decide whether to try Sainsbury's as they stock TimTams but not sure if that is a good enough reason ;)

TimTam slammers :cool:
    TimTam slammers :cool:

TimTam's rule... in fact I have a major urge for some now... TimTam's and tea.... :heart:
    Splodgey wrote: »

Sainsbury's are good :yes:.

I've not had any replacements yet though, but I've not had any problems either and the use-by-dates are always really good.