Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

House/contents insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving in the next month and I need to get insurance for all of my stuff. I've never looked for insurance before and was wondering - are housing insurance and contents insurance one in the same or are they two different things? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Unless you a buying a property outright, then you dont really need to worry about buildings insurance. All you need is contents (ie. to cover your goods) if your renting.

Think I was paying around £200 a year in Nottingham (bear in mind I lived in the UK's most burgled street) That was with Endsleigh.
  • Options
    I pay £31 a month for buildings and contents insurance. As Calvin says, unless you're buying you will only need contents insurance.
  • Options
    As others have said if you are renting you only need contents, my contents works out at £7.98 per month so not too bad really.
  • Options
    Buildings insurance and content insurance are different yes.

Now, here's where you make the decision.

If you are renting, most people would suggest you go only for contents.

However, if the person who lives above you, leaves the bath running, it leaks, and destroys your ceiling, and they too only have contents ..... whatcha gonna do? Because building insurance in rented / leased buildings probably won't cover it.

Although saying that. check with the person you are buying / renting from as to what THEY cover in terms of stuff like this. you don't want to be screwed over if you need it.
  • Options
    Mine is contents insurance and its £5 a month. :D
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »

However, if the person who lives above you, leaves the bath running, it leaks, and destroys your ceiling, and they too only have contents ..... whatcha gonna do? Because building insurance in rented / leased buildings probably won't cover it.

Although saying that. check with the person you are buying / renting from as to what THEY cover in terms of stuff like this. you don't want to be screwed over if you need it.

I'm a bit confused, does the owner of the property not need buildings and contents insurance for that type of situation though? My flat is owned by a company not a person, and they have buildings insurance as well as contents insurance even though it is rented as unfurnished (for carpets/curtains/white goods). Even if you are renting and the person upstairs leaves their bath running why would I need insurance to pay for it? Not that it would make a difference to me as I live on the top floor, but hey :cool:
  • Options
    Because your contents could be damaged.

That's why it's best to check what THEIR policy covers, and what it doesn't.

They may only be covered for natural disasters (which, a leaky bathroom upstairs, would, naturally, be a disaster... but you know what I mean).

Just go with the contents.
  • Options

Your contents insurance would cover your stuff and whoever owns the property (landlord) will cover any damage to the building
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    whoever owns the property (landlord) will cover any damage to the building

Not always.
  • Options
    My buildings and contents is £10 a month with tesco, they had a half price offer going on, which i believe they have again at the minute. I'm not sure if they just do contents but you could check as ours is very cheap and i thought it was a bit of a bargain.
  • Options
    Not always.

Well if they don't its their problem. Its not your responsibility to insure the building, it belongs to them
  • Options

I'm not sure what the policy is but it's a council flat so I'm guessing it's the councils responsibility to sort it out if someone left the taps on upstairs (happened to my mate a couple of months back).

Cheapest quote on moneysupermarket.com was £160ish, I guess that's pretty good considering I'm 21 and have no job...haha.