Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need some info please Help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all!!:wave:

I have purchased some stuff from eBay and its from China so it will be sent by EMS, I have just tracked it down and its in customs.
Firstly is this a standard procedure?
and secondly will i have to pay a custom fee, as i have been googling and found that some times you may have to pay a fee when you buy something from abroad on the net?

please help me out so i can stop being a little confussed.. :angel:
Thanks 4 reading :flirt:

Comments

• Options
    It's a bit of a lottery I'm afraid. I've bought various dolls from the United States, all based on Disney characters.

2005 - Mulan - £14, no customs tax.
    2005 - Pocahontas - £70, +£30 customs tax (the robbing gits!)
    2008 - Lilo & Stitch - £30, no customs tax.

I was once made to believe that the threshold was £18 including p&p when customs kicks in. As Lilo & Stitch got through OK, it's either different now, or like I said, a lottery.
  • Options
    I bought a £250 item for usa and didnt get customs, sometimes if its not marked down properly, eg if they mark it as a gift, it gets through easier.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It depends on luck there.

I've never got customs taxed yet, luckily most crafty chinese shippers write "gift" in the detail field, so you likley get away with it.
  • Options
    lol thanks ive brought an i pod and it got through customs ok and also i got a dkny watch which got through customs (from usa) and i remember on my watch it had a little green slip with it saying it was a watch etc..
    also if customs do want to ROB me will they ask for the money by a letter or attach a note with my stuff?

thank you
  • Options
    you wont get the stuff, you'll be informed by letter and they'll "seize" the goods till you cough up
  • Options
    Not how it's worked for me. I haven't ever got a letter as it's the post office who handle payment collection - the package is delivered as normal but you're expected to pay the delivery guy the excess amount or go to the post office and pay. Sometimes, with a large amount, they will simply send you a delivery note (the one's that say - 'sorry you weren't in') but with 'outstanding payment' circled and the amount written on it
  • Options
    well i have a tracking no for this item and it says that its out of customs now.
    fingers crossed they don not rob me..
    thanks guys you've been great :D:D:D
  • Options
    hii guys!!
    i got my stuff 2day and i did not have to pay a custom fee :D:D:D:D yay