Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

embarressing Q about constipation+laxatives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi guys
ok, basically, can someone recommend to me a laxative that works very quickly (within an hour or summat) instead of those ones that you take before bed and that make you go in the morning.
im taking some medication where the side affects can be constipation, and have got a doctors appointment on wed to come off them, but the over night laxatives are doing NOTHING to relieve my discomfort+its really affecting my sleep!
if there's nothing i can buy...and foods that are guarenteed to work quickly??
thanx

Comments

• Options
    drink lots of water, exercise, there is a quick acting one but I think it's only on prescription and I have no idea what it's called- they gave it to my friend before a butt operation. Actually, the supositories work in less than an hour I think, try them or just ask the doc.
  • Options
    Laxatives have to work through your digestive system to work so there arnt any that will wonk in a very short period of time that you can but over the counter. Keep taking them overnight and two if your still not going, some medications can constpate you up quite badly and you need a couple if days laxtives to get things working again. If you still having problems mention it when you see your GP and they might be able to prescibe you something stronger.

You need lots of fruit, veg and other fibre rich foods. Drink loads of water (no diuretics such as tea/coffee/cola) to help things as well.
  • Options
    thanx guys, i am eating lots of fruit+veg and drinking lots of water, but i wanted immediate relief for now until wed :(
    i guess il try some suppositories
    what about prunes juice?
  • Options
    what about prunes juice?

If you can stand the taste it might help temporaily.
  • Options
    cigarettes sometimes make you want to poop.
  • Options
    how long is it since you last "went"?
    which laxative have you tried and how many?
  • Options
    even stimulant laxetives take around 12hours to work. bulk-forming and osmotic laxies (e.g fybogel and lactulose) can take a couple of days.

i found Dulcolax(bisacodyl) to be VERY effective!
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    even stimulant laxetives take around 12hours to work. bulk-forming and osmotic laxies (e.g fybogel and lactulose) can take a couple of days.

i found Dulcolax(bisacodyl) to be VERY effective!

I agree with the Dulcolax, thats 8 hours I think too. Tried ex-lax didn't work but that one did.

Unfortunatly the pain following was unbearable and I amost wished I was still constipated at the time! :p

If you have it, I heard Sennacot is supposed to be very gentle, but its quite expensive.
  • Options
    Drink hot orange juice. I know cos i used to take a lot of opiates ...the worst for constipation. Fresh orange ...concentrate will do.
  • Options
    try LAXOCODYL get it from a pharmacy. works within max.2hours!
  • Options
    Movicol or any other medicines containing macrogol are usually pretty good.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »

I was prescribed fybogel for my stomach problems. I used to find it only took an hour (ish) to work.
  • Options
    Hot juice ...trust me ...within the hour you'll be shitting through the eye of a needle.
  • Options
    I suppose people respond differently to different stuff.
    Im surprised the Fybogel worked so quickly Melian. Must have gone through your digestive tract very quickly.
    It basically bulks up the contents of your colon to stimulate it into pushing it all along!!
  • Options
    Drink hot orange juice. I know cos i used to take a lot of opiates ...the worst for constipation. Fresh orange ...concentrate will do.
    Isn't orange juice the cure for a lotta things?

I would say that prunes are good.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Isn't orange juice the cure for a lotta things?

I would say that prunes are good.
    Hot prune juice would be quick as well. Don't know about Ojuice being good for other stuff apart from the obvious vitamins ...don't know much about health healthy food healthy lifestyle stuff to be honest. I'm fit as a fiddle though.
  • Options
    If a person has to take more than the recommended dose for them to work then maybe they aren't for them.
  • Options
    no, thats just because you build up a tolerence to stimulant laxetives.
    Thats why people who abuse them often end up with bowel problems, because after you stop using them the bowel fails to respond to its normal stimuli.