Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mefanamic Acid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realise I can't spell, but that's by the by.

I've not used the stuff for years, and have a new prescription which handily says take as directed. For some reason I seem to remember it works better if you start taking it before you come on, is that right and roughly how long before?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm a nosy bitch - what is it and what is it for?
    i used to take it when i got the first signs of PMS (about three days before) and then a day after.

but it might be a good idea to go back to the doctors and just ask the receptionist if she can look on your file for the details of the script...
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    I'm a nosy bitch - what is it and what is it for?

It's a pain killer that is often prescribed to women for painful periods amongst other things :)
    I realise I can't spell, but that's by the by.

I've not used the stuff for years, and have a new prescription which handily says take as directed. For some reason I seem to remember it works better if you start taking it before you come on, is that right and roughly how long before?

I've taken it at times in the past when my periods have been especially bad. I can't remember the best way of taking it but what you said about starting early does ring a bell.

You could give NHS Direct a call to have a talk with a nurse about it - 0845 4647.
    From what I remember, I used to start taking it 1-2 days before I was due on my period and that used to work okay. If I took it when I came on, then it didn't really have the same effect. I'd just phone the Drs or speak to a pharmacist to double check though. :)
    it reduces period pain and can make heavy periods lighter.
    I got prescribed it when i had terrible periods when i was a teenager, and i also got prescribed just a few tablets when i had a coil fitted