Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mac Boot-Camp Vista?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would like yall' to know I will be making the big switch to a Macbook Pro early next week.

Now I heard off a friend that the bootcamp is not the best thing ever.

Wanted some views off the fellow mac community :)
I'll also be signing up to some mac forums :yum:

Comments

• Options
    not the best thing ever?

probably because it involves running windows on a mac :yuck: .

In all seriousness though there's nothing wrong with bootcamp.
  • Options
    I see your an egar mac fan :)

- So it will not blow the thing up or anything :D
  • Options
    Lol you tard.

:p

Steve Jobs, Apple Keynotes Speech 1997

"The biggest asset Apple has is the brand, no other brand in the world is as widely recognised as the Apple, and we need to capitalise on that."

If there was ever a case of you paying for the logo, it's with Apple products :p. But fair play to you if you have the money to burn, they look pretty cool :cool:

Give us a review when you get it! And I'm sure noog will have plenty of tips for you, he's also a macboy.
  • Options
    I only own one Apple product and that's a MacMini which costed me £450 in Sep last year (should have been more like £500 but dragged my cousin with me to the Mac store to get a student discount)

For the size of the thing and how quiet it is I don't think there's a PC that can compare on price - just had a quick look and most PC's of a similar size are £200 more and bare bones (i.e. there's no CPU, Memory or Hard Drive in them)

In my case I don't think I paid any premium over a PC, in fact I think I made a huge saving for a device that is about the same size as 5 CD cases stacked up.

I installed Boot Camp when it was still in Beta and works fine on Windows XP.
  • Options
    Im suprised nobody has slated him as the vista fanboy for switching to a Macbook yet.

Works fast though doesnt he. Discovers macbooks and two weeks later he's got one!

But yeah, from what i know about macs, its pretty easy to use and should work fine.
  • Options
    :D Such lovely feedback from the fellow community!

I got a lot nocked off it because I contacted a Apple expert via the online chat, Said I was a Uni student - Said what I wanted, Hey prestro I've got a checkout link!

Did not have to show any Uni ID or anything! :)
  • Options
    i have had a macbook pro for a little while now and have put vista via bootcamp and i have to say i think i might of wasted about £200 i dont use vista much at all, mac osx does everything windows does and i think i have wasted my money :banghead:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe you should have tried a pirated copy first, as a demo...

Doesn't M$ allow people to resell a vista license?
  • Options
    not 100% sure on that, But im debating wether Vista or XP

Thats when the laptop DOES COME *angry face*

I orderd it last last saturday!
  • Options
    Maybe you should have tried a pirated copy first, as a demo...

Doesn't M$ allow people to resell a vista license?

If it's retail, yea.

I wonder, if you didn't need Vista, why did you put it on? :confused: I mean, if you wanted to play Windows games or run Windows apps fair enough, but you just thought you'd have it for extra?

I've put linux on my PC 4 or 5 times and it goes within a few days for exactly that reason, I don't need it. OS X and Windows are pretty similar these days, OS X is arguably more design friendly and Windows is arguably more friendly for obscure apps and games (since it has the directx drivers which OS X does not).

Just because you can install two OSs doesn't mean you have to :)
  • Options
    i have had a macbook pro for a little while now and have put vista via bootcamp and i have to say i think i might of wasted about £200 i dont use vista much at all, mac osx does everything windows does and i think i have wasted my money :banghead:

You Paid £200 just for Vista?

If so something about more money then sense springs to mind .. :chin:
  • Options
    well i first got it so i could play some of my pc games on it and run some other software i had, but i dont play the games on a pc anymore.

i only use it for stuff like 4OD and bbc iplayer thats it.

you are right i had more money than sense at that time but i have learnt my lesson now don' t buy something unless i really need it
  • Options
    yo ho ho, a pirates life for me :cool:
  • Options
    If you look at wine or cedega you might be able to get some of your games going. And bbc iplayer afaik works under opera? :s
  • Options
    iplayer works under ffox/safari on a mac no probs, streaming version tho. the downloaded versions don't work on anything but windoze
  • Options
    But why would you use safari? :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Actually, safari's the only browser that passes the acid3 test. Or so I hear.

As for the WINE project, I think only Crossover is available for Macs, and it's not free.
  • Options
    In terms of Windows for gaming, Vista is still a lot slower than XP. Stick with XP unless you really need the frilly extras. The networking on XP is also generally smoother, which would make it less of a harsh transition going from mac to Windows and back :)

Also, you can buy an academic upgrade version of Windows Vista cheap on ebay. I got one for $68 when I was in the US. You don't even have to actually upgrade - do a clean Vista install (don't activate), then do an upgrade install, then activate.
  • Options
    Intresting :)

Just thought i'd let you all know that I recieved my macbook pro Wednesday :)

Yay me!
  • Options
    Fail you! :p

Are you having fun? ;)

But in all honesty a MBP especially when you go Uni will be useful, even if they're expensive they do seem to work well in lectures for people that use them :/
  • Options
    Funnily enough I was using bootcamp last night to totally redo windows from scratch - decided I would also take the opportunity to install a new copy of windows XP which has SP3 in it.

why anyone would want to use Vista I don't know

This video is interesting

http://www.revver.com/video/440653/windows-xp-sp3-vs-windows-vista-sp1/
  • Options
    Is XP SP3 on general release? Will it go out on Windows Update?
  • Options
    Is XP SP3 on general release? Will it go out on Windows Update?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/windows_xp_sp3_reboots_crashes/
  • Options
    They did stick it up on the 3rd of may? but took it down hours later due to a nasty bug that made your pc blow up :)

Ref shy: It's lovely! Although it gets hot in vista, but stays cool in mac thats the only thing that im abit concerned about. :)