Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An 'embarrassing' examination!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My GP wants to do a rectal examination. All joking aside, how umpleasant is this likely to be? I am really not looking forward to it, to the extent that I think I won't bother.

Any experiences?

Comments

• Options
    It won't be the most dignified few minutes of your life but if your doctor thinks it is necessary then I personally think you should definately have it done...
  • Options
    I don't have experience of having an exam done to me, but the docs I know always ask the patients to take some deep breaths beforehand, apparently inhaling deeply helps the spinchter to relax. Generally, it's a pretty quick examination to do, and the bonus (if you can call it that) is that you don't have a prostate, so they won't be spending too long trying to feel it.
  • Options
    I agree. There are better ways to spend those few minutes but if they reccomend it it probably not for their own enjoyment ;) Never had one but the boyfriend has. He's still around, didn't die off of embaressment. It wont be the doctors first exam and I'm sure (s)he will be well aware of the feelings of the patient and do as much as they can to relieve any discomfort and let you know its nothing to get embaressed of :)
  • Options
    I had several when I was ill, each and every bloody doctor I saw wanted to double check that the diagnosis was right and there weren't any problems 'up there'.

It was particularly dignified but it's not horrendously unpleasant, would personally say less bad than a smear.
  • Options
    It's a shitty job, but someone has to do it.
    It'll probably be OK feeling wise, but like others have said - if the doc thinks it's important to check, just ride it out as an experience. I'm sure the doc didn't get into doctoring just so he/she could plunge their fingers into your butt.

Good luck, I hope all is OK ... go.
  • Options
    Its not pleasant but then they do try to make it not painful, they will most likely ask you to lie on your side curled up like in the foetal position and then insert their fingers/examination item in having lubricated first, please do go have it done, after all its your health and nothing is more important.
  • Options
    just try not to giggle
  • Options
    I've had him inspect my bottom ring, no insertion in my case just examining and checking and it wasn't exciting, just another day in the office for them... just go with it and focus on something else.
    BritJames wrote:
    It's a shitty job, but someone has to do it

Pun of the week :p lol.
  • Options
    just try not to giggle

or to fart.
  • Options
    It was particularly dignified but it's not horrendously unpleasant, would personally say less bad than a smear.

I'd say pretty similar to a smear in terms of unpleasantness, but then I don't think smear are that bad either. Obv not my first choice of activity in any situation, but it's worth it to get you all checked out.