Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sstqp.dll

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wifes laptop infected with sstqp.dll
It's in system 32 ...i can go to it and look the little bastard in the eye ...but i can't move it rename it or delete it cos it is always in use.
Have tried spy bot sd ...my anti virus finds it and says it will be removed at next start up it never is ...any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Did you try safe mode? Hold down (or tap-tap-tap, I forget) F8 as windows loads and it should show you a menu. Choose safe mode and try deleting the file from there.
  • Options
    Did you try safe mode? Hold down (or tap-tap-tap, I forget) F8 as windows loads and it should show you a menu. Choose safe mode and try deleting the file from there.
    tried that one ing ...the file always seems to be in use but i cannot find out by what ...thankyou anyway ...iut's a right little shit this one.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Can you not kill the proccess in the task manager?
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Can you not kill the proccess in the task manager?

nope! It doesn't actualy show up there?!
  • Options
    Do you have a good spyware checker/remover? That should do it ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Do you have a good spyware checker/remover? That should do it ...

ad aware and spybot but won't shift it!
  • Options
    Anyone know what a root kit is?
  • Options
    Looking about on the net, you appear to have something called the Vundo trojan.

Possible removal method here :

http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-fix.html

It seems quite a long-winded resolution but it seems that this trojan must be removed with some urgency.

FYI, I read that Vundo is sometimes part of freeware downloads ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Looking about on the net, you appear to have something called the Vundo trojan.

Possible removal method here :

http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/05/vundofix-and-combo-fix.html

It seems quite a long-winded resolution but it seems that this trojan must be removed with some urgency.

FYI, I read that Vundo is sometimes part of freeware downloads ...

Gordon bleedin bennet! Yep IT is vundo ...i've been at it all day!
    thanx for that it looks like my best hope yet ...i'll let you know how iget on. ...or not.
  • Options
    Killed the little shit!
    Didn't need any software after all ...ran my AV in safe mode ...killed it stone dead ...thankyou all.
  • Options
    I had a similar problem last week - an infected DLL that was always in use and could never seem to be deleted - in the end I booted from a Boot Disk that has a version of Windows that runs off the CD and then used that to find the file and delete it that way.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I had a similar problem last week - an infected DLL that was always in use and could never seem to be deleted - in the end I booted from a Boot Disk that has a version of Windows that runs off the CD and then used that to find the file and delete it that way.
    As in the old fashioned boot up on floppy for windows 98?
    Not that that makes any sense to me.
  • Options
    You can get off the internet images of lots of bootable CD ROM's - you put these in your machine and restart the PC and it run a small version of Windows or Linux off the CD.

You can then access your hard drive and find the file you need to delete.

Sometimes these are also called rescue CD's or Live CD's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LiveDistros
  • Options
    Glad to see it worked out Roll but I like to keep MoveOnBoot handy for stuff I can't get rid of - I've never found anything it won't delete.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    You can get off the internet images of lots of bootable CD ROM's - you put these in your machine and restart the PC and it run a small version of Windows or Linux off the CD.

You can then access your hard drive and find the file you need to delete.

Sometimes these are also called rescue CD's or Live CD's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LiveDistros
    Thanx DG ...i'm going to have a look at that.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Glad to see it worked out Roll but I like to keep MoveOnBoot handy for stuff I can't get rid of - I've never found anything it won't delete.
    Can you explain that JV?
    My anti v kept notifying me of my virus problem and saying it would be deleted next start up but never could as it was in use.
    Could your and DG's methods remove under those circumstances?
    As for checking out the virus ont net ...some sites said it was minor ...others extremely serioous. Never sure who to believe.
    It was serious though in that a window would not just switch off ...it would take maybe 45 seconds to disolve.
  • Options
    Thankyou JV and DG ...downloaded but not yet tried ...cheers.