Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

alternative to the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Due to medical reasons my doc said that i needed to come off the pill. I just said ok and never thought to ask any questions. Since then ive realised that i dont actually want to. I like that I can over-run it' say when Im on holiday so I dont have a period. It also makes my PMT alot better, and It also controls my skin.
Is the mini pill similar in that you can over-run it, as this is my main concern cos you can guarante that I'll end up being on while I'm away! :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well theres a hundred different pills that you could discuss with him that may or may not work on your condition. They seem to have ones that cater to any which condition anybody could have! But its hard to say without getting nosey :p

Theres always an iuc, the shot or the implant which alot of peole say that they stop getting their periods all together when they are on it.
    I have to come off it cos in December I had what they thought at the time was a mini-stroke. After having a load of tests they have now said it was most likely a hemiplegic migraine, which then increases my chances of having an actual stoke.
    Since then Ive had a couple of really bad migraines so that was when the doc said that its angerous to be on the pill.
    But I'm sure i read somewhere that the minipill is ok in situations like this. If you can over-run it to stop a period i think thats the option I wanna go for.
    Ah there are too many terms used to describe wanting to skip a period and I can't find anything for you :( Though it seems like tons of people here use the mini pill so help shall come ;) Though if all else fails a quick ring to the gyno and (s)he or their nurse would be able to tell you if you can do that :)
    Sadly not.

You take the mini pill continuously rather than having a break every 3 weeks and your cycle sorts itself out, or you stop having periods completely. Different people respond differently.

There is a medication you can get that delays your period which some people use for holidays, can't remember the name for the life of me but its possibly along the lines of noristherone.
    Im on the mini pill and havent had a period since I went on it - which was Feb. But I heard that some people do have periods while on it.

I think the injection can stop periods aswell.
    I've been on Micronor (one of the mini-pills - I think there are 5-7 different ones available) for over four years and haven't had a period on it. Just occasional light bleeding if I've taken the Pill too late (remember you've got to take it within three hours, not twelve like the combined-pill).
    hav you thought about the implant that goes in your arm? i've been on it for a year and i've had no problems...its stopped my periods too, but it has different effects on different people.
    Thanks for all of the replies. I think Im going to go and see my doc again and ask what she thinks is best for me.
    hav you thought about the implant that goes in your arm? i've been on it for a year and i've had no problems...its stopped my periods too, but it has different effects on different people.

:yes: I went on the mini pill when I came off the combined pill but I had some very nasty side effects and had an implant instead, which I love.
    I have just had the implant fitted and its awesome, had a period when i first had it, but since then nothing and it was really light.

I think the medication for stopping your period on holiday is called nosterine or summit simular, i have used it before!
    Norethisterone, I believe.