Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Apparently yesterday was St. George's Day

You would have been forgiven for not realising this.

England must be one of the very few countries that don't celebrate their national day. Bizarre :confused:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my brother sent me a happy st georges day txt.
    He does it for st patricks and st andrews too. I wouldnt know about them if it wasnt for that
  • Options
    Given he's never supposed to have actually set foot on English soil I'm not sure why he is our saint. And what does being our saint really mean?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    And what does being our saint really mean?

A day off work and the opportunity to get pissed up. :thumb:
  • Options
    arent saints just for catholics really anyway?
  • Options
    arent saints just for catholics really anyway?

Yes, because they dont follow the 'graven images' bit of the 10 comandmants.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Given he's never supposed to have actually set foot on English soil I'm not sure why he is our saint. And what does being our saint really mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

Out of all the patron saints, he seems quite bad assed. We also share him with a few other countries.
  • Options
    It was also Shakespeare's birthday.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

Out of all the patron saints, he seems quite bad assed.
    What do you expect of a guy who spent all his time chasing the dragon?
  • Options
    It makes me proud to be English that we don't succumb to all this remembering saints bullshit.
  • Options
    Being "proud to be English" seems like such a weird concept to me. A National Day also bewilders me. It makes me think of a Doug Stanhope sketch where's he's ranting about people saying shit like "if we hadn't saved your arse in WW2 then you'd be speaking German", to which he expresses a distinct lack of memory of being in a trench.

National prides sounds worrying like Jingoism's second cousin.
  • Options
    Billy Bragg's examination of the idea of Englishness was pretty interesting. It was interesting to see the idea that the English lack of identity was a pretty serious fault, especially compared to the Welsh, Irish and Scottish who of course had no issue understanding the idea of being proud about their own country.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    A day off work and the opportunity to get pissed up. :thumb:

Exactly! I never used to bother about St. Georges Day, it meant nothing to me, but recently it really annoys me how we don't celebrate it.

St. Patricks day is massive worldwide, St. Andrews day is big in Scotland, and 'Australia Day' is huge amongst Australians. Epescially as I'm seeing an Australian girl at the moment, it almost embarrases me when I hear about their Australia Day and then she asks, "So what are you doing for St. Georges Day?"

Why the fuck shouldn't we celebrate and be damn proud of our country and all that it's given us? Is it because we have never been occupied and don't feel the need to be proud? Why is it that as soon as someone waves the English flag and talks about being proud of being English, they are instantly tagged a Neo-Nazi, racist BNP sympathyser? Really fucks me off, I have family from other parts of the world, but it doesn't mean that I'm not fucking proud of my country and being English.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Billy Bragg's examination of the idea of Englishness was pretty interesting. It was interesting to see the idea that the English lack of identity was a pretty serious fault, especially compared to the Welsh, Irish and Scottish who of course had no issue understanding the idea of being proud about their own country.

What was the serious fault in lacking a sense of "Englishness"? It just seems like a manifestation of our innate, tribal instincts.

N.B.: Orwell wrote an interesting essay about Nationalism - less interestingly called 'Notes on Nationalism' IIRC. :)
  • Options
    If it was a holiday it would probably actually be celebrated.
  • Options
    I think he saw it as a problem of being a colonial power. With a welsh identity it's easy to define yourself as not being an other - this is how I differ from England or the English - this defines my being Welsh.

With being told you are actually a member of the UK not English (which is surely only something that ever happened in England on a large scale) then it becomes a stranger thing to define.

It's probably one of those reasons it makes perfect sense to me that I'd define myself as a Lancastrian, even a Boltonian and be more comfortable with that than seeing myself as English? Hmm... don't know really
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the people that complain about how everyone else doesn't celebrate St. George's Day actually got off their fat arses and celebrated themselves? I can't stand people who whinge that "we" don't celebrate something. If you want to celebrate it, then go ahead. The pubs are open. You're entitled to 28 days of holidays a year. If it's that important to you, then do something, but don't bang on about everyone else's behaviour.
  • Options
    I noticed a few people wearing red and white (including a couple of Sunderland supporters hehe)
  • Options
    At the end of the day, parading around celebrating a national day in an attempt to outdo the national day's of other countries just smacks of insecurity to me.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I thought them to be celebrities or visitors from another world. Is there a difference?
    No.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Went out got pissed. Would like to see it as a bank holiday.
    Certainly see more reason for it to be a bank holiday than Easter.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    England must be one of the very few countries that don't celebrate their national day. Bizarre :confused:
    What's there to celebrate? Wooh, this country used to be one of the finest in the world, and has now been reduced to a complete and utter mess, ridden with problems of overcrowding, hostility, segregation, chavs, a wider than ever rich/poor gap and seemingly more rain than ever!
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    What's there to celebrate? Wooh, this country used to be one of the finest in the world, and has now been reduced to a complete and utter mess, ridden with problems of overcrowding, hostility, segregation, chavs, a wider than ever rich/poor gap and seemingly more rain than ever!

I think you live in a different country than me ...or you read the Daily Mail.
    Skives idea is a good one ...why should Easter ...an ancient fertility festival ... ...be a bank holiday here?
  • Options
    I agree.
  • Options
    Different parts of the country are poles apart. Hence all the press on that awful town where Shannon Matthews was, looked like a 3rd world country to me, might be deemed normal by others. And similarly people oop north won't have the overcrowding and homeless smack addicts everywhere problem we have here.
  • Options
    Different parts of the country are poles apart. Hence all the press on that awful town where Shannon Matthews was, looked like a 3rd world country to me, might be deemed normal by others. And similarly people oop north won't have the overcrowding and homeless smack addicts everywhere problem we have here.

Where is here?
    Oop north have plenty of crack heads and homless ...quite poor oop north ...i take it your darn sarf.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Of course our country has it's problems but when you compare it to the majority of the places on this planet you could have wound up in, we're pretty lucky.

I don't see what's wrong in celebrating the good things about living in this country.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think he saw it as a problem of being a colonial power.

Bloody typical of the English that is. It wasn't the English Empire, but the British Empire - if you didn't have us Micks and the Jocks you'd all be a minor island being fought over by the French and Spanish

grumble, grumble
  • Options

Where do you think Shannon Matthews was from? That's right, "oop North." Where are you from that's so deprived with smack addicts on every corner?
  • Options
    Bloody typical of the English that is. It wasn't the English Empire, but the British Empire - if you didn't have us Micks and the Jocks you'd all be a minor island being fought over by the French and Spanish

grumble, grumble
    Where are you from then (out of curiosity)? I thought you were English but then again I had no real reason to think so, other than guessing you just were.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Where are you from then (out of curiosity)? I thought you were English but then again I had no real reason to think so, other than guessing you just were.

Northern Ireland