Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rationing.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Walmart have started rationing how much rice you can buy ...will it be ASDA next?
I must remember to go out panic buying in the morning.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Panic buying? TINS OF STUFF guys, it keeps best after the apocalypse with no freezers!

That and dried food.
  • Options
    Walmart have started rationing how much rice you can buy ...will it be ASDA next?
    I must remember to go out panic buying in the morning.

Chinese supermarkets like Wing Yip have already started limiting how much Thai Jasmine rice you can buy, no limits on other rice though. Price of rice and wheat, cooking oil etc. is ridiculous nowadays =/
  • Options
    I'm wondering how long before meat is rationed ...having gotten rid of my chickens ...most of them ...i'm now planning on a few more again ...i have my rabbit pens finnished ...feeding these creatures is relatively easy.
    I would suggest people start looking after themselves a bit more cos this problem is escalating.
    Two chickens will give you a dozen eggs a week ...two rabbits become hundreds in no time at all.
    The time has come when your diets are going to be changing quite drasticly me thinks.
  • Options
    The time has come when your diets are going to be changing quite drasticly me thinks.

As long as they keep making cider, I'm happy.
  • Options
    They've only rationed it in one of their smaller chains (which caters to bulk buying) and it's not because people are scared it's going to run out, but to stop restuarants buying loads because they think its going to go up a few cents...
  • Options
    they think its going to go up a few cents...

It's doubled in five weeks.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Why the fuck is this starting all of a sudden?

calamitous central planning as per usual
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Why the fuck is this starting all of a sudden?

Among the causes of the crisis are population explosions in the emerging economies like India and China, the use of crops to make biofuel, global stocks at a 25-year low and market speculation.

Record fuel prices and climate change could be added to that list.

Planning for rice in Africa and rationing in US supermarkets are signs that the cereal situation is indeed a crisis.
  • Options
    They've only rationed it in one of their smaller chains (which caters to bulk buying) and it's not because people are scared it's going to run out, but to stop restuarants buying loads because they think its going to go up a few cents...

it's much more than a few cents... :impissed:
  • Options
    Rationing to protect rice supplies
    Price rises set to hit 1m more households
    According to Mr Calland, the retailers, who sell to the curry and Chinese restaurant trade as well as to families, are rationing their customers to two to four bags during the current fear over rice shortages.
    Rationing of rice hits Britain?s Chinese and curry restaurants
    Rice is being rationed in Britain as shopkeepers limit supplies to their customers to prevent hoarding. Restrictions on sales in Asian neighbourhoods are reported as emergency measures are taken by governments worldwide to combat the soaring cost of rice and prevent outbreaks of food rioting.

Tilda, the biggest importer of basmati rice, said that its buyers had resorted to restricting their customers to two bags per person.

?It is happening in the cash and carries,? said Jona-than Calland, of Tilda.

?It?s to stop people from hoarding. I heard from our salesforce that one lady went into a cash and carry and tried to buy eight 20kg bags.?

Welcome to the 21st century ...who'd a thunk it? http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3803776.ece
  • Options
    Managers at some branches of Costco, the US's biggest cash-and-carry supplier, are limiting sales of rice and flour. The firm's chief executive James Sinegal said he believed media reports of global food shortages had fuelled the surge.

Tim Johnson, president of California Rice Commission, which represents the state's growers and millers, said: "This is unprecedented. Americans, particularly in states such as California, have on occasion walked into a supermarket after a natural disaster and seen the shelves less full than usual but we have never experienced this."
    The price of staple foods has rocketed worldwide in the past two years because of rising demand from developing countries including China and India, high oil prices and increased demand for biofuels ? corn is used to make the fuel ethanol ? which has also had a knock-on effect on the price of livestock feed.

And the prices can only go one way now ...up up and up .
    It's going to be carzy.
  • Options
    nd fuel as well ...looking like a bad year ...at least this one should only be temporary ...
    Talks at the oil refinery near Falkirk, aimed at resolving a dispute over pensions, broke down yesterday. A two-day strike will now go ahead on Sunday and Monday, threatening fuel supplies.

Britain's oil producers said there had already been some 'panic-buying' at the weekend causing up to 100 filling stations to run out.

Demand for unleaded fuel has risen by 68%, according to the UK Petroleum Industry Association, a trade body for the industry. Demand for diesel was up 40%, it added.

To protect supplies, some garages have introduced unofficial 'rationing', limiting customers to £10 of fuel.
  • Options
    Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the WorldMajor retailers in New York, in areas of New England, and on the West Coast are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand outstrips supply. There are also anecdotal reports that some consumers are hoarding grain stocks.

At a Costco Warehouse in Mountain View, Calif., yesterday, shoppers grew frustrated and occasionally uttered expletives as they searched in vain for the large sacks of rice they usually buy.

“Where’s the rice?” an engineer from Palo Alto, Calif., Yajun Liu, said. “You should be able to buy something like rice. This is ridiculous.”

http://nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confronts-breadbasket-world
  • Options
    I'm wondering how long before meat is rationed

I'll meet you in me hair net and we can moan about standing in line for a bit of brisket. Haslet anyone :)
  • Options
    i don't think anyone in the west is going to starve you'll just have to fork out more for your food....it's those poor buggers in asia that are screwed.
  • Options
    i don't think anyone in the west is going to starve you'll just have to fork out more for your food....it's those poor buggers in asia that are screwed.

And Africa and South America and Parts of China AND pARrts of Russia ...
    I think it is going to get very very uncomfortable here too.
    All we need now is adverse weather and this years crops could be screwed too.
  • Options
    And Africa and South America and Parts of China AND pARrts of Russia ...
    I think it is going to get very very uncomfortable here too.
    All we need now is adverse weather and this years crops could be screwed too.

africa is already screwed, and china is part of asia last time i looked :p

i was referring to the price of rice specifically but i agree s america will also struggle as all grains are going through the roof. fingers crossed for a good harvest this year.
  • Options
    fingers crossed for a good harvest this year.

Fingers crossed our machines don't get to eat it!