Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Parking on the pavement - legal??

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's never a necessity: go and park on the next street. You have legs.

As for the damage, went over on my ankle again this weekend on a badly damaged paving slab. Funnily enough it was on a street where most people park on the pavement. It must just be a pure coincidence, eh?

The taxes go to pay for people who badly hurt themselves on pavements badly damaged by cars.

Did you not see the damaged kerb?
  • Options
    Wow - now there's a topic I never expected to see people get so riled up about :P

Please remember (and new posters be aware) that if you want to discuss something - especially something like parking on a pavement - then there's no excuse for being overly agressive or unpleasant.

Rule of thumb - if you are actually shouting outloud what you are typing then you probably want to count to ten and check it before posting. ;)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's never a necessity: go and park on the next street. You have legs.

Well it seems even the authorites recogmnise that it a necessity soemtimes. Else they wouldn't grant permission to residents of some roads to park on the pavement.
    There are areas in most cities where parkign in the next street isn't a viable alternative, because those streets are just as bad or narrow.

And if you've had a job invovling the unloading of large amounts of kit to premises where there is little parkign available you'd understand that in some cases it is the only sensible way of doign your job.
    As for the damage, went over on my ankle again this weekend on a badly damaged paving slab. Funnily enough it was on a street where most people park on the pavement. It must just be a pure coincidence, eh?

Maybe you should get a white stick? :)
    The taxes go to pay for people who badly hurt themselves on pavements badly damaged by cars.

Road tax pays for highway maintenence, if the pavement is in an unsuitable condition then the blame lies with the council. The damage caused by cars pales in comparrison to weather damage.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Did you not see the damaged kerb?

Yeah course I saw it, I thought I'd fall over for shits and giggles.

What do you think?
    Skive wrote:
    Maybe you should get a white stick? :)

If I'm fully sighted and fell down a hole, what hope does a blind person have.

As always, the convenience of car users takes precedence over everyone else...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    As always, the convenience of car users takes precedence over everyone else...

Parking on the pavement is a lesser evil than backing up traffic and potentially blockign access for emergency vehicles.
    If I didn't somtimes use the pavement to park, then I wouldn't be able to do my job properly.

There's obviously a need for it at certain times, even the authorities in London recognise that, else they wouldn't grant permission for residents of some roads to do so.

I don't agree with pavement parking in most circumstances but I recognise that there is a need for it sometimes and that blanket statement's such as 'ALL people that park on the pavement are selfish twats' is quite frankly shortsighted and complete bollocks.
    Weekender Offender