Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Parking on the pavement - legal??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

As for the twat who says it's fine to call a cripple a cunt, you need a slap you disrespectful twat.

Yeah because calling a disabled person a "cripple" is going to make them fell better :rolleyes:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    As for the twat who says it's fine to call a cripple a cunt, you need a slap you disrespectful twat.

Disrespectful twat?
    Anyone that vandalises my car, whether I be parked on the pavement or not doesn't deserve my respect, and I'd quite happily call them a cunt whether they're a 'cripple' or not.

Or do you think being a 'cripple' as you so eloquently put it, is an excuse for such behaviour.

Tit.
    Weekender Offender 
    Put it this way, someone blocked us in, parking on our drive so I borrowed a digger from the building site and cemented it to our drive - legally, I was within the law - why? Cos they had parked illegally on MY, yes that is correct, on MY property and as such I can do what I want. OH, sorry to clarify, at the time I said I was conducting works to my drive and had every right to do what I done because the car was in effect trespassing, in a way!

Erm..

You're mental :)

Any sober minded person would have used their noggin and asked the person whose car it was to move it. People say this country is going to the dogs and there is no sense of a community, well maybe that's the case round your area because rather than talking to your neighbours you get their cars towed away or cement them to the pavement :p

Seriously, try being nice :)
    I somehow don't think that taxing cars '£5k' would be beneficial to the economy!

People simply would not be able to go to work and those that depend on their car for mobility who could not afford to pay would have to give up their cars, thus losing their mobility.

Sorry, but who are you to decide who should have mobility and not???

Errr, can't seem to find anything about parking being illegal in section 42 of the Road Traffic Act!! Take a look yourself:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/ukpga_19880052_en_4#pt2-pb1-l1g42

Errr...also can't seem to find where in the highway code it states that it is illegal to park on the pavement??

It's funny, because the subsections you refer to, which are here btw: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:-Cwwdl-bFkcJ:www.directgov.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860+HIGHWAY+CODE+Laws+CUR+reg+98,+105+%26+107&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
    state nothing of the sort...if i were you, i'd do a little bit more research before you go cementing people's cars to your drive.

Did you turn it in to a water feature, or do you keep chickens it in now?
    I did find a small subsection but it's a bit vague as to exactly where it applies:

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

[Law GL(GP)A sect 15]

Living in Leicester there are a lot of the old redbrick terraces (was one of the industrial towns) and everyone on so many streets park on the pavements. I've never seen any notices saying it's legal or illegal, but never seen anyone ticketed for it either.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I did find a small subsection but it's a bit vague as to exactly where it applies:

Living in Leicester there are a lot of the old redbrick terraces (was one of the industrial towns) and everyone on so many streets park on the pavements. I've never seen any notices saying it's legal or illegal, but never seen anyone ticketed for it either.

Agreed.

It doesn't state that it's illegal - it just states that it shouldn't be done and that's mainly for london and places like oxford etc. lol

If theres no signs saying no stopping/no parking - i.e. clearway and as long as you're considerate when parking, which it seems like the OP was, then i'd say go for it.
    I've just been googling and they were having a similar discussion about exactly the same topic on the ubuntu forums. They said it was amusing because there are plenty of traffic laws that contradict each other i.e. sometimes the signage in London advises you to park on the pavement even though according to law there is a London-wide ban on parking on the pavement. TBH I always err on the side of caution (I've got a bike) and would love to put it on the pavement but always been worried about some over zealous PC coming to clamp it. Never really an issue just leaving it on the road because it doesn't stick out into the road. On occasion I've tried to get it closer to lamposts :) so I can chain it up properly, but I'm sure the authorities would rather not have to deal with a theft than a bike on / very near the pavement.
    Alright people,

Sorry for the confusion and for calling the disabled person a cripple. I still work on 80's ethics, i.e. spastic isn't very PC, granted, but there are still the spastic society shops. I think it says it all, cripple or not it's not meant to be offensive - its factual - just a play on words and what people determine to be politically correct or not.

Point remains, i'd never call a disabled person a cunt - you just wouldn't but to be honest you did make me laugh with that one - good on you! Funny :thumb:

Regards to the law; highway code says do not obstruct pavements, they also say don't park on a T-Junction - especially in a small cul-de-sac which needs the room.... all new builds have little room so why do those with 4 cars think they can just own the road - bugger off, buy a multi-storage car park if thats the way to be otherwise pay £5k tax, yea

I'm not a nutter for cementing the car in, its a case of standing up for what is right - like the bloke who tipped manure on council doorstep - fair play to him!!!!! p.s. no damage was caused to the car, well only the wheels! Let the air out, sorted :p
    Take a look here chappies (and chapettes)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tal/parkingmatters/pavementparking

:shocking:
    FCUK it wrote: »
    I somehow don't think that taxing cars '£5k' would be beneficial to the economy!

Why? I think it would make us appreciate having the facility to be mobile instead of being arrogant. Before cars, was there such a thing as road rage? Nope!!!

People simply would not be able to go to work and those that depend on their car for mobility who could not afford to pay would have to give up their cars, thus losing their mobility.

Then they should obey laws - not park wherever it suits them. As you say, if they are that worried about mobility then park further away and walk! After all, the other option is no mobility - what, we all bend over and take it hard because of drivers? I think not!!!

Sorry, but who are you to decide who should have mobility and not???

I have an opinion, as do you and I am simply voicing it.

Errr, can't seem to find anything about parking being illegal in section 42 of the Road Traffic Act!! Take a look yourself:

I've posted a link and will post more with exact laws when my lawyer back on Monday.....Still, it is illegal and the car can be towed if deemed necessary

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/ukpga_19880052_en_4#pt2-pb1-l1g42

Errr...also can't seem to find where in the highway code it states that it is illegal to park on the pavement??

Lol, its everywhere - open those eyes and you shall find :shocking:

It's funny, because the subsections you refer to, which are here btw: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:-Cwwdl-bFkcJ:www.directgov.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860+HIGHWAY+CODE+Laws+CUR+reg+98,+105+%26+107&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
    state nothing of the sort...if i were you, i'd do a little bit more research before you go cementing people's cars to your drive.

Lol, i've done my research thanks - have you? I think i'm right as i've had them towed and ticketed in the past!!!! Have you took this action? Nope!

Did you turn it in to a water feature, or do you keep chickens it in now?

Hahaha - thats the funniest thing you've wrote yet. I actually use it as a ramp for my bmx ;-)

AS YOU CAN SEE, MY REPLIES ARE IN BOLD
    More examples (relevant points are bold/underlined for ease)..... Pay close attention to this: You should not park on pavements in london, nor elsewhere.... it's bold for you at the bottom! So there you go, its all over - not just London!!!!

You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, such as Blue Badge holders, residents or motorcycles, unless entitled to do so.

[Laws CSDPA sect 21 & RTRA sects 5 & 8]

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]

DO NOT stop or park

* near a school entrance
    * anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
    * at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
    * on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
    * opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
    * near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
    * opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
    * where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
    * where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
    * in front of an entrance to a property
    * on a bend
    * where you would obstruct cyclists? use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement
    in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.

Extracts taken from: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:-Cwwdl-bFkcJ:www.directgov.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860+HIGHWAY+CODE+Laws+CUR+reg+98,+105+%26+107&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Erm..

You're mental :)

Any sober minded person would have used their noggin and asked the person whose car it was to move it. People say this country is going to the dogs and there is no sense of a community, well maybe that's the case round your area because rather than talking to your neighbours you get their cars towed away or cement them to the pavement :p

Seriously, try being nice :)

Haha - my house is £500k, very nice area but too many drivers and too many posh buggers!!!! nice is for pussies :mad:
    Skive wrote: »
    Disrespectful twat?

Apologies - twat was a nicer way of calling you a cunt lol but going by your attitude - plain english is easier! You disrespectful cunt! Better for you?

Anyone that vandalises my car, whether I be parked on the pavement or not doesn't deserve my respect, and I'd quite happily call them a cunt whether they're a 'cripple' or not.

Try parking near me and call me a cunt, if I told you to move, and see what happens...... it'd be the last time you done it that's a fact. Anyway my point is that doesn't get you anywhere and calling someone with impairments (in a chair especially) a cunt is bang outta order - why not just run the 'cunt' over if thats how you feel? Get it over with..... (see here: http://www.deccanherald.com/CONTENT/Mar72008/scroll2008030755990.asp)

Or do you think being a 'cripple' as you so eloquently put it, is an excuse for such behaviour.

Nope, granted it's no excuse - although they do milk it at times.

Tit.

Spot on, i'm white with a big red boil on my head - my nickname is tit lol

My replies are bold again lol :eek:
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Yeah because calling a disabled person a "cripple" is going to make them fell better :rolleyes:

Apologies, no offence meant with this comment. I meant to use the term disabled.
    http://simonstevens.com/blog/?page_id=14

Some light entertainment regards to disabilities:yes:
    Parking on the pavement is legal as long as there aren't double or single yellow lines on the road (as they apply both on the pavement and road), or any visibly defined parking limitations, as far as I know.

Utter nonsense - read my posts for factual details - it is illegal.....
    You're a bit thick really.
    No it's not illegal in itself, unless it contravenes another rule at the same time. 'Should' is not a rule, it's a request.
    None of those things say "illegal"
    If you see my post above it does say there is a law but it doesnt define the law brilliantly, basically - not in london.
    Try parking near me and call me a cunt, if I told you to move, and see what happens...... it'd be the last time you done it that's a fact. Anyway my point is that doesn't get you anywhere and calling someone with impairments (in a chair especially) a cunt is bang outta order - why not just run the 'cunt' over if thats how you feel? Get it over with..... (see here: http://www.deccanherald.com/CONTENT/...8030755990.asp)

I'd quite happily call you cunt all day long if you behave like one.

Are you expecting people here to take you seriously? Your very loud and seem rather worked up, you seem to have some serious issues. And tough guy acts via the web and bullshit stories are a little pathetic I think.

I call a spade a spade, and if somedody purposely damages my car they're a cunt, regardless of whether or not they're in a wheelchair. I rather judge people on their behaviour rather than there physical attributes. There's no excuse for vandalism.
    Weekender Offender 
    Utter nonsense - read my posts for factual details - it is illegal.....

Highlight the bit where it says any parking on the pavement is outright illegal.
    You can't because it's not.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Highlight the bit where it says any parking on the pavement is outright illegal.
    You can't because it's not.

Agreed.

Leedsblokey - you don't need to go through that section of the highway code and RTA and highlight it for me - i know it.

Nowhere in those articles does it state that parking on the pavement is illegal - it says you shouldn't do it where it causes inconvenience and that local authorities can enforce it - which they would through parking bays and clamping or fines - hence parking permits etc.

It does not state that you 'cannot' park on pavements outside London, just that you should not. As mentioned, this is more of a request.
    The articles are somewhat dubious anyway - but it clearly does not state that it is illegal to park on the pavement.

On the other hand, would you rather 2 cars double park on the street (neither parking on the pavement), meaning emergency services could not get to your house?

Didn't think so.

So what did you do with this persons car that you cemented to your drive? Bit extreme wasn't it? As was delivering horse crap to a council...some people have too much time on their hands!:eek:
    Haha - my house is £500k, very nice area but too many drivers and too many posh buggers!!!! nice is for pussies :mad:

I have to disagree unfortunately, I know plenty of people with houses worth £500k, more, and less, who don't feel compelled to cement people's cars instead of asking them :).

What you need to invest in if it really worries you is some iron gates or something at the entrance to your driveway. My brother has got some because where his house is there is a highish risk of being burgled.

We don't need to go all crazy :)
    You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London,

That only applies to London. Either way, parking on the pavement is selfish.
    Melian wrote: »
    Either way, parking on the pavement is selfish.

In every situation?

Don't be silly. Parking on the pavement can be a necessity sometimes to make sure other road users have access. If you do park on the pavement for those reasons and still leave plenty of room for pedestrian and wheel chair access then why is it selfish?
    Weekender Offender 
    Well, where I live, if there's cars on the pavement, it's not possible to get past them. And no, I don't want to walk on the road, because that's really unsafe. And I'm sure Kermit (?) said something about how parking on the pavemet damages the pavement.
    Point is parking on the pavement is sometimes a necessity, it doesn't automatically mean you being selfish and blocking access for pedestrains.

Some of the authorities in London actaully grant permission to residents of certain roads to park ont he pavement because they realis it's often the lesser of two evils. Park on the pavement or cause access problems for other traffic?

As for the damage it causes. Obviosly it's going to cause wear, I'm not sure if it's to any significant degree however, and that is someting that gets covered by the outragously high taxes we pay to run our vehicles.

All I'm saying is that while parking ont he pavement may not be ideal, it not always selfish and it's sometimes a necessity.
    Weekender Offender 
    It's never a necessity: go and park on the next street. You have legs.

As for the damage, went over on my ankle again this weekend on a badly damaged paving slab. Funnily enough it was on a street where most people park on the pavement. It must just be a pure coincidence, eh?

The taxes go to pay for people who badly hurt themselves on pavements badly damaged by cars.