Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Parking on the pavement - legal??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm. He gets a lot of practice at home!

You poor woman!:D
    I have to admit ...i found him a little scary myself at first but ...you were even attracted to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He's a top ranter ...don't change him.
    kangoo wrote: »
    BUT SHE DIDN'T CAUSE AN OBSTRUCTION!!!!!! What part of that sentence are you failing to grasp?

Anyone parked on a pavement is causing an obstruction. Both by restricting the width of the pavement and by causing damage to the pavement.

How can you park on a pavement without causing an obstruction to pedestrians? Paths are for people and roads are for cars.

Anyone who parks on a pavement is behaving selfishly and twattishly, hence they are a selfish twat.

It isn't rocket science.
    Kermit wrote: »
    Anyone parked on a pavement is causing an obstruction. Both by restricting the width of the pavement and by causing damage to the pavement.

How can you park on a pavement without causing an obstruction to pedestrians? Paths are for people and roads are for cars.

Anyone who parks on a pavement is behaving selfishly and twattishly, hence they are a selfish twat.

It isn't rocket science.

You're just being a dick now.

There are some roads where you can't park two cars opposite each other, and yet there is a need for people to park there cars. My old street was a prime example. One side, people parked fully on the road. The other, people parked with one set of wheels on the kerb. There was no other choice, and the system worked. There was nowhere else to park - if people parked their cars on the street on both sides, you could not get a car down the middle. Pedestrians used their brains (well, most of them) and walked on the pavement that the cars were not parked on, even though there was plenty of room for them to get down on the side where cars were. There was rarely an obstruction, unless somebody was a particularly bad parker. If people parked their cars fully on the street on the 'kerb parking' side, people would leave notes asking them to put their car partially on the kerb to allow access. The council were fine with this, the police were fine with this. No doubt you will have issue with this, of course. :yeees:

Let me make this clear. On not one street for quite a distance was there any space for double parking. Space is not a luxury, at times.

What do you suggest people do?

Now, the pictures below were of a particularly shitty piece of parking, and my rather blunt note I left on the window. Superb. They deserved to be called a twat. Oh, the bit under the windscreen wiper says "You fucking idiot". Note how it isn't anywhere near the pavement ;) Oh, and for reference, that is the only street wide enough to support proper parking on both sides of the street.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

Rubbish.

There are plenty of roads where parking partly on the pavement is the lesser of two evils. Sometimes it's important to avoid obstruction to traffic.
    Parking on the pavement isn't necessarily and obstruction and you really are making a meal over the damage a bit of inflated rubber may cause.

Parkign on the pavement isn't ideal but it to call somebody a selfish twat over it really is an over reaction.

If I parked on the pavement and came out to find my wind mirror ripped off I would go after the cunt who did, whether I was causing an obstruction or not.
    Weekender Offender 

It isn't rocket science.

Utter rubbish. You can't make a blanket-statement like your first paragraph - there are pavements that are plenty-capable of accommodating a section of car whilst still allowing good access for pedestrians.

With all due respect, your arrogance and inability to understand the concept of anything other than your single pavement, is making you look like a twat.

Whilst I disagree in principle with parking on the pavement, your arguments just are not valid. I think people shouldn't buy or rent a house without a driveway or garage if they have a car - but expecting everyone to adhere to this is unreasonable, given the cost of housing and popularity of the car.

Certian people on here may admire your 'debating' skills, but I reckon you're just a twonk. You can't fulfil your argument, and start calling people names when they won't listen to your poor reasoning. Congratulations on achieving adulthood. It seems people are still able to create life ,without the small amount of sense required to live and let live.

Excellent. You could wear a burberry cap with pride.
    Whilst I disagree in principle with parking on the pavement, your arguments just are not valid. I think people shouldn't buy or rent a house without a driveway or garage if they have a car - but expecting everyone to adhere to this is unreasonable, given the cost of housing and popularity of the car.

Spot on random chap - the car is too popular now.

For many people, there is no sensible/affordable alternative. E.g. for me, i work stupid hours, through the day and night - 20 miles from home, so a car is my only suitable option. Do we have space to park my car and the others in our house? Yes, we have a garage and drive for about 6 cars - which we don't need. Thankfully. lol.
    However, when people visit us, they park on the road outside our house - if it's parked in an inconvenient place, i ask them to move it.

Parking on the kerb is necessary though, as if anyone across the opposite side of the road parks on the street and a visitor to our house had, then the road would be blocked. Therefore, our visitors, us and our neighbours have accepted that it is a necessity to park slightly on the pavement.

FYI in the 25 years we have owned our house and had people parking outside our house, the neighbours houses etc etc, there has never been any damage to the pavement caused by parking there.

I'd rather park a few inches onto the pavement and know that the ambulance or fire engine was able to get to the house down the road, rather than park completely on the road and block off access.

I think that if you are unaware of your parking - whether you are leaving your vehicle completely on the road, or 75% on the pavement or whatever - then you should not be driving. Driving a vehicle requires the person to be aware of their actions and the actions of others. If you are not aware of how your parking will affect others - whether a motorist, pedestrian or emergency services, then you shouldn't be driving.

This is clearly not the case for the OP, as they have had the decency to ask us what we think - this shows they are concerned about this incident.

I don't subscribe to Kermit's theory about anyone parking on a pavement being a selfish t*at. Like i said, i'd rather know that the fire brigade were able to get to my friends/partners/parents (delete as appropriate) house and save them from the house fire, or car crash etc rather than be stuck on a residential road and having to get out and move the vehicles (which i have seen the fire brigade have to do).
    At the end of the day, if you park on the pavement and allow space for people to get past you are NOT breaking the law.

Someone who is so obsessed with the issue that they will damage someone's car, simply because it is on the pavement, causing an obstruction or not, really needs to take a look at how pointless their life has become.

People who constantly complain about parking that isn't illegal, and isn't causing a problem need to go out and get a life. And on another point, road tax pays for the upkeep of the public highway, which includes pavements. I pay more to keep the pavement fixed than the pedestrian who decides to smash my wing mirror.
    Perhaps it's just because I know him better but I find it really interesting to see how people take Kermit's posts seriously! He will exaggerate almost any view to the point of hyperbole and he loves playing devil's advocate.

Hmmm.

But to be fair, he can come across as quite offensive - especially to those who are not used to his posting style...
    g_angel wrote: »
    Now, the pictures below were of a particularly shitty piece of parking, and my rather blunt note I left on the window. Superb.

Who the hell parked that, Stevie Wonder? :lol:
    Skive wrote:
    Parking on the pavement isn't necessarily and obstruction and you really are making a meal over the damage a bit of inflated rubber may cause.

More often than not it is an obstruction, though. It certainly restricts the width of the pavement making it harder for people to get past.

It's not something I really thought about myself until I started pushing someone around in a wheelchair. The chairs do take up a lot of room, much more than most people realise, and I've lost count of the number of times that I've had to take the chair into the road to get around a car parked on the path. A wheelchair takes up most of a 2' pavement and someone parking on the path often means that people can't get through.

As for the damage, uneven paving stones are caused by people parking on paths. You can see this where people regularly park on the path. The paths aren't designed to hold the weight of cars and so they buckle and fracture. It's only getting worse as cars get bigger and heavier. And then pedestrians fall over the broken stones, nearly breaking their ankles, as happened to me.

I don't think people parking on the path are setting out to be selfish and twattish but that is what it ends up being. Most people completely underestimate the amount of space that disabled people, particularly wheelchair users, need and as such that sends the most vulnerable pedestrians into the road. I never realised how much room a wheelchair user needed until I used a wheelchair and most drivers (thankfully) will never need to use one.

As for the person wilfully damaging the car, well they're a twat too and it sounds like they have serious mental health difficulties.
    Who the hell parked that, Stevie Wonder? :lol:

You know - I never did see the driver. I spotted the car on a few further occasions, but parked a little more suitably :D

It was one of the few times I've genuinely been angry enough to write a note to somebody as they'd completely blocked access to the other road :lol:
    *agrees with Kermit*
    You're just being a dick now.

I'm glad someone said it :banghead:
    Perhaps it's just because I know him better but I find it really interesting to see how people take Kermit's posts seriously! He will exaggerate almost any view to the point of hyperbole and he loves playing devil's advocate.

Hmmm.

Devils advocate is one thing, but calling someone a selfish twat when they're just looking for some advice is another. If his posts aren't to be taken seriously then whats the point of posting here, except to wind people up
    i get annoyed with people parking on the pavement a lot, because often i have to take my pushchair actually onto the road to get past a bloody car, although if theres enough space, then i dont see why they would have been bothered, unless it was just one of her pet hates.
    If you left enough room big enough for at least a double buggy to get past then shes got no right to touch your wing mirror, although if you hadnt left enough space, i wouldnt blame someone for doing that - ive been tempted often enough!
    I hope you dont get fined though, is there nowhere better you can park?
    Nothing to say except that I sympathise, I had my car vandalised last year by some twat who didn't like where I had parked. Just makes me wonder, what happened to approaching someone, explaining the situation and asking them politely and nicely to move their car, or failing that, leave a nice note doing so? Why is it that people feel they have to vandalize someone's vehicle or leave really horrible notes on their windscreen as the first course of action before even *asking* them to move. All it does is create conflict and animosity when a simple "oh would you mind moving your car because (whatever)" would suffice.
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    Nothing to say except that I sympathise, I had my car vandalised last year by some twat who didn't like where I had parked. Just makes me wonder, what happened to approaching someone, explaining the situation and asking them politely and nicely to move their car, or failing that, leave a nice note doing so? Why is it that people feel they have to vandalize someone's vehicle or leave really horrible notes on their windscreen as the first course of action before even *asking* them to move. All it does is create conflict and animosity when a simple "oh would you mind moving your car because (whatever)" would suffice.

I agree, there seem to be a lot of angry people around. We get a lot of calls at work from people who are unwilling to simply ask someone to move a car/turn some music down e.t.c. using us as the first port of call, and it really bugs me.
    Whenever someone parks in the way of my car, or when my neighbours have had really loud music on then I've politely asked them to change whatever it is they're doing, and it's always worked.
    :nervous: parking along a pavement is just not a good idea. it blocks others that is, pedestrian and pets even wheelchaired persons. thats rather better to a place to place or park your car safely. it often happens that parking a car on pavement may lead to bother thieves to your own car??? beware!!!!:confused::naughty:
    Kermit can take care of himself so I won't answer for him, but I've often played devil's advocate on these boards myself. It means that others need to examine their own view points and validate their reasons for supporting one opinion over another.

its not playing devils advocate thats the problem its being down right abusive to people.. most people know not to take it to heart but thats not the point, 90% of other people wouldn't get away with talking like it
    z- wrote: »
    its not playing devils advocate thats the problem its being down right abusive to people.. most people know not to take it to heart but thats not the point, 90% of other people wouldn't get away with talking like it

:yes:

It wasn't the selfish that I had so much of a problem with, than calling the op a 'twat' when they were asking for advice. I haven't got a problem with playing devils advocate I just hate unnecessary aggression and abuse, and to be honest its not the first time its pissed me off which is why I'm making such a fuss about it, rather than just letting it go which I would probably do if it was a one off
    z- wrote: »

Exactly.

Another example of some posters seemingly being outside the rules. Imagine a noob (or whatever the stupid term is) coming on and calling somebody a selfish twat etc. They'd straight away have people telling them not to, and a mod informing them of the good manners guide etc etc etc.

David needs to just watch his e-tongue a bit, as a lot of the time it is unnecessarily and unfairly barbed.
    Exactly.

Another example of some posters seemingly being outside the rules. Imagine a noob (or whatever the stupid term is) coming on and calling somebody a selfish twat etc. They'd straight away have people telling them not to, and a mod informing them of the good manners guide etc etc etc.

David needs to just watch his e-tongue a bit, as a lot of the time it is unnecessarily and unfairly barbed.
    I agree.
    This thread :D:lol: :eek: :crazyeyes :eek2:
    I hope you dont get fined though, is there nowhere better you can park?

Not really, its a really narrow road and ambulances have to get past, I only park there when I go and see my Gran which is once a week for a couple of hours.

I also get pissed off when cars park on the pavement and I can get past with a my pram and Ive got quite a big pram!! But I always make sure I leave enough room on the pavement - I have to walk past my car with the pram so I know I have left enough room.
    Parking on the pavement is legal as long as there aren't double or single yellow lines on the road (as they apply both on the pavement and road), or any visibly defined parking limitations, as far as I know.

In my experience, if you can't get a double buggy past the car on the pavement then it's officially an obstruction, regardless of where you've parked. This could, in some circumstances, get you a ticket.

I know sometimes the pavement is the only place to park, so as long as you aren't going against the parking limitations on the road, and there is enough space for people to pass by, you should be ok. Any damage done to your car should be reported, as whatever the reasoning, it's still criminal damage.

Good luck.

What utter crap - people like you, who have no idea should keep shtum and learn the law before you start dribbling your crap!

IT IS ILLEGAL TO PARK ON PAVEMENTS - HIGHWAY CODE Laws CUR reg 98, 105 & 107, RVLR reg 27 & RTA 1988 sect 42.

Bottom line, if a car has it's wheels beyond the kerb then it is illegally parked.

I have some twat opposite us (on a T junction) doing it, I have had 3 penalty notices put on their crap car and had it towed away. That's the law and I know it and use it.

As for the twat who says it's fine to call a cripple a cunt, you need a slap you disrespectful twat.

ALL YOU CAR DRIVERS SHOULD BE CHARGED £5K CAR TAX THEN YOU'LL LEARN THAT THE HIGHWAYS (INCLUDING PAVEMENTS) ARE FOR EVERYONE, NOT JUST YOU LOT WHO THINK COS YOU HAVE A CAR YOU CAN PARK WHEREVER YOU LIKE.

Put it this way, someone blocked us in, parking on our drive so I borrowed a digger from the building site and cemented it to our drive - legally, I was within the law - why? Cos they had parked illegally on MY, yes that is correct, on MY property and as such I can do what I want. OH, sorry to clarify, at the time I said I was conducting works to my drive and had every right to do what I done because the car was in effect trespassing, in a way!
    What utter crap - people like you, who have no idea should keep shtum and learn the law before you start dribbling your crap!

IT IS ILLEGAL TO PARK ON PAVEMENTS - HIGHWAY CODE Laws CUR reg 98, 105 & 107, RVLR reg 27 & RTA 1988 sect 42.

Bottom line, if a car has it's wheels beyond the kerb then it is illegally parked.

I have some twat opposite us (on a T junction) doing it, I have had 3 penalty notices put on their crap car and had it towed away. That's the law and I know it and use it.

As for the twat who says it's fine to call a cripple a cunt, you need a slap you disrespectful twat.

ALL YOU CAR DRIVERS SHOULD BE CHARGED £5K CAR TAX THEN YOU'LL LEARN THAT THE HIGHWAYS (INCLUDING PAVEMENTS) ARE FOR EVERYONE, NOT JUST YOU LOT WHO THINK COS YOU HAVE A CAR YOU CAN PARK WHEREVER YOU LIKE.

Put it this way, someone blocked us in, parking on our drive so I borrowed a digger from the building site and cemented it to our drive - legally, I was within the law - why? Cos they had parked illegally on MY, yes that is correct, on MY property and as such I can do what I want. OH, sorry to clarify, at the time I said I was conducting works to my drive and had every right to do what I done because the car was in effect trespassing, in a way!

:lol:

... and breeeeeaaaathe

woah, now that is a rant!:eek2:

lol, charged 5k car tax? not far from that now is it! haha:lol: