Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Parking on the pavement - legal??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I always park on the cerb - half on and half off at home and at my grandmas house.

Today I went to my grandmas and parked as usual (as I have done for 2 years) - half on and half off the cerb cos its a narrow road, everyone that goes to my grans parks on the cerb, and everyone that goes to the other peoples houses on the street park on the cerb too.

So when I went to my car, I had a letter on the wiper blades saying 'I have reported you for illegal parking' so I chucked it in the car and went back into my grans house, then I seen a woman in a wheel chair going down - a woman was pushing her, I went to my car to go home and my wing mirror was broke.:mad: I have a Corsa so my wing mirrors dont go in.

Did I park illegal?? I have tried to look and net and from what I seen I have parked leal, I left enough room for people to walk.

I always park there - once a week for a couple of hours and its never been damaged before. My aunts park there all day Friday and Monday, and they havent had any bother!

Any advise/help would be much appreciated.
:)

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    You may want to trawl through some of this information in the link below that could answer your question. My thoughts are that it's illegal to park on the curb, but I'm not definitely sure...

DirectGov
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You did park illegally yes. Mounting the pavement is always frowned upon, and if you do it in such a way to hinder people being able to walk down the pavement then you should expect your wing mirror to be snapped really..

It's a pain though, I have to park in all sorts of weird places and my car's had so many knocks and tickets as a result :(.
    The Council has a responsibility to keep the roads and footpaths safe to use. A London-wide ban on pavement parking is strictly enforced and applies to all parking on pavements, verges and central reservations, 24 hours a day.

Pavement parking is allowed under certain circumstances and signs and white boxes on the ground show where and how far on the pavement it is permitted to park.

Illegally parked vehicles cost the Council thousands of pounds a year in damage to paving and grass verges, and cause serious problems for blind, disabled and older people.

Pavements are constructed and provided for pedestrian use. Vehicles parked on pavements are:

* a hazard to pedestrians causing an obstruction which may result in them having to step off the pavement onto the highway thus putting themselves in danger
    * a hazard by restricting the width of the pavement making it difficult for someone with a pushchair or wheelchair to pass safely - again this person may have to step into the highway to avoid the obstruction
    * a hazard due to the damage caused by driving on and off the pavement - e.g. broken flags.

Where pavement parking is permitted, markings on the footway will indicate the extent of the area where you can park, and 'pavement parking area starts' and 'pavement parking area ends' signs will be displayed.
    noog wrote: »
    You did park illegally yes. Mounting the pavement is always frowned upon, and if you do it in such a way to hinder people being able to walk down the pavement then you should expect your wing mirror to be snapped really..

I did leave enough room tho, she went past ok in the wheelchair, she just decided to break the wing mirror on her way back, when she seen her note had been took off.

Its just doing my head in, I always park like it, everyone in the street parks like it.

From what I have read on the highways code, I parked legally. It only says about parking on the cerb in London. I live in a little town bertween Derby and Nottingham.
    Whether you were parked illegally or not does not give people the right to remove your wing mirror.
    Also as far as I know it is not illegal to park on the pathway providing that there is not a yellow line at the part where you would be parking, and that you leave room to pass.

It's probably covered by local by-laws.
    Parking on the pavement in itself isn't illegal. Some local councils do have policies in place for targetting illegal parking.

It is, however, of questionable morality and convenience. Putting 2 wheels just over the stone marking the end of the pavement shouldn't cause an issue, but much further and you can cause real problems for those of us who walk dogs, use a wheelchair or motorised buggy, or even have children - whether in a wheelchair or not.

My advice - leave it on the road. Inconvenience the other car users rather than those on foot.

However, the inconvenience does not warrant deliberate damage to your vehicle. If you saw this person take-off your mirror, then I'd go to the police station and make a statement to such effect.

I'd have no right to thump the pillock who urinated on my garden - I'd rightfully expect to be prosecuted for it. Same goes for her - she should expect to be prosecuted for deliberately damaging your property, whilst you should possibly give more thought to other people who may be in a situation similar to hers.
    The bottom line is you have parked it illegally and can be reported for or recieve a fine. The fact that most people do this has not stopped the increase in tickets being issued and mainly by PCSO's and street wardens who have nothing better to do.

Guess you was just a bit unlucky!!
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860

243 states that you must not park on the lowered section of the kerb and also where you would not cause obstruction to emergency service vehicles (also in section 242) - not causing obstruction to other vehicles.

If two vehicles park on the road, either opposite each other, or tail end to tail end, it's going to cause inconvenience for emergency services - i.e. the fire brigade to get down that road.

I wouldn't suggest you've parked illegally - i'd suggest you have used common sense parking just enough on the kerb to avoid causing inconvenience for pedestrians and not fully on the carriageway - causing an ostruction or inconvenience to other motorists and / or emergency services!

The woman (if it was her - do you have proof???) has no right to damage your property, whether you are parked illegally or not!

Pop a note through her letterbox saying 'and i've reported you for criminal damage' :yippe:

I've had my wingmirror smashed back and / or pushed in by some people and i don't think they would like their property damaged!

I always think about other people - motorists and pedestrians alike when i park, the problem is though...too many cars, not enough road space!!!!:banghead:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote: »
    Whether you were parked illegally or not does not give people the right to remove your wing mirror.

:yes:

I'd go straight round and threaten to buckle the bitches wheelchair. Go round and call her cunt.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thanks for all the messages:)

I've got to nip into town tomoz and I told my gran Id go and park there then go into town, dont know if to park there now:chin:

My gran will be out and so will I so if the woman does more damage then I wont see her, or I might just park on the road then I'll probs get hit by a car and damage my wing mirror again!!:confused: I dunno!

I am 99.9% the woman hit the wing mirror. I went out and it was fine, looked out the window to see were my mum was and seen the woman in the wheelchair go by. I only seen her walk by -noone else and I was sitting right oppasite the window.

I might go and see her tomoz and tell her I did not park legally and ask her not to break my wing mirror in future!:mad:
    FCUK it wrote:
    Pop a note through her letterbox saying 'and i've reported you for criminal damage'

:yes:

Ideally written on the back of the law that suggests you didn't park illegally.

Bloody parking vigilantes. I would suggest that if you're going to inconvenience anyone, it should be pedestrians and not road users (esp emergency services). Much less dangerous that way!
    Illegal yes and iconsiderate that an old lady can't use the pavement ...that was built for people with wheelchairs and legs ...not cars.
    I park like that often as well ...sometimes you have to but ...if i was in a wheelchair i'd be pissed off with motorists like you

and me.
    Parking on the pavement is legal as long as there aren't double or single yellow lines on the road (as they apply both on the pavement and road), or any visibly defined parking limitations, as far as I know.

In my experience, if you can't get a double buggy past the car on the pavement then it's officially an obstruction, regardless of where you've parked. This could, in some circumstances, get you a ticket.

I know sometimes the pavement is the only place to park, so as long as you aren't going against the parking limitations on the road, and there is enough space for people to pass by, you should be ok. Any damage done to your car should be reported, as whatever the reasoning, it's still criminal damage.

Good luck.
    It's only illegal to park on the pavement if:
    There are lines on the road
    Doing so causes an obstruction to pedestrians, including wheelchair users.
    Thanks guys:)

Will park there next week as usual and if she says owt/leaves a note I'll go and see her, tell her that Im parking legally!
    It's worth bearing in mind that wheel chair users need a fair amount of space and it needs to be flat pavement, it's not just a case of leaving enough for for someone to be able to just get past.
    It's also worth bearing in mind that you're being a selfish twat for parking on the pavement. Pavements are for pedestrians not cars. Park on the fucking road or park somewhere else.

When I've been pushing a wheelchair I haven't been as careful as I could be when squeezing past someone who's parked on the path. Fair enough I see it. Criminal damage is bad but accidentally damaging your car because of an obstruction is fair dos.
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's also worth bearing in mind that you're being a selfish twat for parking on the pavement. Pavements are for pedestrians not cars. Park on the fucking road or park somewhere else.

When I've been pushing a wheelchair I haven't been as careful as I could be when squeezing past someone who's parked on the path. Fair enough I see it. Criminal damage is bad but accidentally damaging your car because of an obstruction is fair dos.

Excuse me but I wasnt being a 'selfish twat' I know that ambulances have to go up the street so I park on the cerb.

The old woman was ok going up the street, I left plenty of room - I managed to get by with a buggy and someone behind me went past ok with a double buggy.

:rolleyes:

It annoys me that you always seem to have to resort to name calling to put your point accross :rolleyes:

I don't think she was being a selfish twat as it sounds like she left enough room for wheelchairs and buggies to go past. It sounds like she tried to come to a happy medium where traffic could still pass easily without taking up more pavement than necessary
    The bottom line is you have parked it illegally and can be reported for or recieve a fine. The fact that most people do this has not stopped the increase in tickets being issued and mainly by PCSO's and street wardens who have nothing better to do.

Guess you was just a bit unlucky!!

Well that's not really true, is it? On the basis that most pavements can comfortably support use by pedestrians, push-chairs and wheelchairs, whilst a vehicle is using the first 10cm or so of it - unless that vehicle is actually prohibiting sensible movement by typical pavement-users, the law isn't being broken.

Don't get me wrong - leaving the car on the road is the best option all-round. If the road can't support parked cars and emergency vehicles, then it should have double yellow lines to ensure speedy movement of emergency vehicles.

Your misunderstanding of the law, but insistence on repeating it, whilst mentioning PCSOs makes me wonder if you are actually a PCSO? It'd fit in with many newspaper reports of these plastic coppers who hide in bushes, and only enforce the laws they see fit...

How so? If enough space is left for people to comfortably get past why is it selfish? The street near me has no parking space at all, neither do any of the surrounding streets and neither do most streets in the UK. People need to park partly on the pavement to allow traffic through. No doubt you'd be complaining if the road had been blocked.....
    Whowhere wrote: »
    It's only illegal to park on the pavement if:
    There are lines on the road

Does this include bus stops as well?:confused: Right outside the doctors, we have a bus stop and there's someone who has a white van who always parks there. And I'm sure they also sometimes park on the pavement and leave hardly any room for one person to get past.
    Melian wrote: »
    Does this include bus stops as well?:confused: Right outside the doctors, we have a bus stop and there's someone who has a white van who always parks there. And I'm sure they also sometimes park on the pavement and leave hardly any room for one person to get past.

If a driver is causing an unecessary or wilful obstruction then they are breaking the law. Parking on the pavement and leaving space is legal. parking on the pavement and obstructing pedestrians or vehicles isn't. Usually carries a £60 and 3 points on a licence as well, if it's given out by a police officer.
    kangoo wrote: »
    I don't think she was being a selfish twat as it sounds like she left enough room for wheelchairs and buggies to go past.

It's not just about the room, though, is it?

Pavements are not designed to take the weight of cars parking on them and kerbstones are not designed to take the impact of cars repeatedly bashing into them. This means that pavements wear out sooner, with potholes and fractured paving slabs.

Firstly, this costs me money as the council have to replace it sooner. And secondly this injures me when I fall over on the broken slab and very nearly snap my ankle in two (which is what happened to me the other year).

But I've yet to see many people parking on the pavement who do allow enough room for people with buggies and pushchairs to park.

If there isn't enough room to park without causing an obstruction in the road then it is not a suitable place to park your car.

Either way, its selfish and twattish to do it. People who do selfish and twattish acts are selfish twats. If you think that's a terrible insult go and get a bit of backbone.

The woman in the wheelchair sounds like she has mental health difficulties though. Report her and say you saw her doing it.
    Kermit have you seen streets with terraced houses? It would be causing more of an obstruction if cars parked completely on the road. At least from what I've seen apart from those who play silly buggers and leave 4" of pavement left for some apparent unknown reason (or the white vans that park in town COMPLETELY on the pavement...? I guess they're loading? :s) there is normally ample space for pushchairs or wheelchairs.
    Most pavements around here about about 2' wide (about 2-3 paving slabs across). Even parking one wheel on the pavement causes an obstruction, let alone the damage done to the pavement by the weight of cars (which are getting heavier and bigger).

I live in a terraced house ffs.
    Most pavements around here about about 2' wide (about 2-3 paving slabs across). Even parking one wheel on the pavement causes an obstruction, let alone the damage done to the pavement by the weight of cars (which are getting heavier and bigger).

I live in a terraced house ffs.

BUT SHE DIDN'T CAUSE AN OBSTRUCTION!!!!!! What part of that sentence are you failing to grasp? omg :crazyeyes

I agree with shyboy, the terraced streets round here are small and winding so not parking a little bit on the pavement causes serious problems.

As for getting a backbone, I don't think 'selfish twat' is a terrible insult, but I don't think it was called for to call the OP one and its quite childish that everytime you get into a debate you resort to petty insults. They don't add anything to the debate so just leave it out
    kangoo wrote: »
    BUT SHE DIDN'T CAUSE AN OBSTRUCTION!!!!!! What part of that sentence are you failing to grasp? omg :crazyeyes

I agree with shyboy, the terraced streets round here are small and winding so not parking a little bit on the pavement causes serious problems.

As for getting a backbone, I don't think 'selfish twat' is a terrible insult, but I don't think it was called for to call the OP one and its quite childish that everytime you get into a debate you resort to petty insults. They don't add anything to the debate so just leave it out
    Kermit is one of the best ranters we have ...possiblt THE best ...when Kermit blows his top he brings a big smile to my face and often a bloody good laugh. Don't take it so seriously:D
    What I find annoying is BRAND NEW roads being built that aren't wide enough to have two cars parked opposite each other on the public road and have enough of a gap to allow traffic to pass through.

If you look at a lot of the inner roads in Milton Keynes which are not even 10 or 20 years old and so designed well after cars had been about, they've made them so narrow cars cannot pass when two parked cars oppose each other.

There should be laws for newly built road to ensure they're wide enough in the first place.