Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fined for having too much rubbish.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Yep, and my understanding is many parts of the USA get around three collections a week. It makes you wonder where all the money that people pay in council tax actually goes.

Weekly seems the standard I've come across in the US.
  • Options
    fuck fines, flytip!
  • Options
    There is no allowance for larger families.
    I live in the same town as the above mentioned fella and Its a ridiculous situation, theres a family on my street with 6 people in the house, they have to take their rubbish to the tip 7 miles away twice a week, we have to take ours once a week. If the bin lid is open even by an inch they won't take your rubbish.
    It makes you wonder where our taxes are going.
  • Options
    I don't think fining is the way to go, because the wrong people are being fined. I think the companies producing too much packaging need to be challenged to both stop it, and find different ways of storing and shipping their products without using so much packaging.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread! What appals me more than what any household can produce is the amount of packaging companies are using and throwing! I've worked in retail and it plainly disgusts me how much plastic and other rubbish I've had to throw as it's completely useless once you receive the goods. What was even worse was when I had to remove one plastic packaging in a wholesale and put the goods in another plastic packaging.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Champagne parties probably.

£225 isnt gonna help the bloke whos got 4 mouths to feed. I cant believe the council even has the balls to fine him - he pays his council tax for the council to take his rubbish - if he makes slightly too much then thats tough.

On a side note as 2 people we create 2 bin bags full of work, a family of six to fill a bin every two weeks is not ridiculous. What is a scandal is Leeds city council picking up reclying once a month - when both myself and my parents can fill theres in less then a 2 weeks - if the bin is too full it wont be picked up so landfill it is! If things werent bad enough Leeds City council are striking tomorrow so no bins will be collected, so 20% ish of the city will be going 4 weeks between collections. Great. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You know, I have just thought of something.

With bank charges being deemed unlawful because they're punitive rather than addressing the true cost, shouldn't they just send a bill with to mr whoever with a surcharge of say £5 for excess rubbish, rather than a £115 / £225 punitive fine.

We have 5 at home and one of the bigger bins and we still fill it. Bought a book from amazon? Where is the rubbish going to go? I don't believe the main culprit is ready meals, it's just random things mainly. We have a recycling thing but it's not run terribly well. Once every fortnight they take the black bin which is domestic waste. Every other week they take the brown bin which is garden waste. Every couple of weeks on a wednesday I think a van comes round to collect newspapers (no card). It's really a bit of a shambles. In the next parish they have different bins (albeit smaller) for recycling, the same scheme is run in Germany where rather than having 1 bin in your kitchen you'll have 3 or 4 with different colours.
  • Options
    It does seem an excessive fine for going over your limit for councils do seem to be cracking down on this for some reason.

We've just switched in my council from bins and reclying being collected once a week; to new wheelie bins (bigger if you have 5 or more in your household), refuse taken once a week and recycling once a fortnight. We dont even half fill our refuse bin each week but can easily fill the recycling in a fortnight, and thats just for three of us.
  • Options
    stupid fines are par for the course these days, expect more of the same.
  • Options
    Easy for you to say, isn't it? You're just a student - he's got a whole family. No comparison can be made.
    And?

Even so, I am sure most people do not create this ridiculous amount of waste at home. And what extra trash is not being a student gonna make?
    Great... so you're essentially in favour of bullying and harassing people in order to get them to do what you want. Stalin would be proud of such thinking.
    No... I just think people who refuse to stick by environmental laws should be punished. I don't see it as bullying, I see it as common sense and not being selfish.
    And I notice you haven't answered I'm With Stupid's question about what a fine of £225 will achieve. Is it because this policy is, forgive the pun, a load of rubbish?
    If fines work, then let's keep them... But let's not make victims out of people who create crazy amounts of rubbish. Maybe a trip to a landfill site would make a lot of people think otherwise about this poor hard done by soul.

It is sad that even the threat of fines has to be there to get people's butts in gear.
  • Options
    Doesn't england actually have loadsa space for lanfill copmared with other countries?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Doesn't england actually have loadsa space for lanfill copmared with other countries?
    Finite space for landfill... Why does it matter?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Even so, I am sure most people do not create this ridiculous amount of waste at home. And what extra trash is not being a student gonna make?
    Less booze, for a start. :p You're one person, a student in our capital city. He is a father-of-four. Five people are going to create more rubbish than one. There's no way of avoiding that!
    No... I just think people who refuse to stick by environmental laws should be punished. I don't see it as bullying, I see it as common sense and not being selfish.
    Copeland Council should offer you a job at their recycling department. They'd be proud to have someone who's so incredibly fanatical about a bin being over-filled by four inches...
    If fines work, then let's keep them... But let's not make victims out of people who create crazy amounts of rubbish. Maybe a trip to a landfill site would make a lot of people think otherwise about this poor hard done by soul.
    What are you on about now, you hysterical woman? The bin was overfilled by FOUR inches. In case you prefer the metric system, that's approximately 10cm. Hardly the crime of the century which you seem to treat it as, is it?
  • Options

Oh noooo ...there is a serious shortage of land for landfill. Not any old land will do cos of water courses springs wells and such. Some people have madd good money buying old quarries that a few years back were going for pennies ...you an now sell them for truck fulls of cash to councils and private waste firms.
    Theres a cracker on Anglesey called Parrys mountain. It's an old copper mine ...mined since roman times. Biggest copper mine in the world throught the 18th and 19th centuries. It is just a big hole of rocks and dust but ...Rio Tinto own it and it will eventualy become a tip i'm convinced of that ...i'm rambling.
  • Options
    As I said earlier.

If you're overdrawn and you get a bank charge the whole country takes up arms.

If your bin is overfilled the response seems to be from some a £225 fine is justifiable for killing the environment [insert hyperbole here].

You'd probably be better off with the bank charge tbh, RBS actually uses completely renewable energy in it's banks and I'm sure other big corporations have a social concience - they have to since they are held to account by their shareholders. It is councils with overpaid staff who seem to be lacking in empathy.
  • Options
    you hysterical woman
    Fuck off you twat! How bloody dare you insinuate it's some kind of emotional failing to be female and passionate about an issue? If you disagree then you disagree but being female has NOTHING to do with it.
    Oh noooo ...there is a serious shortage of land for landfill.

Really? Oh, ok. I don't pay much attention to this stuff, in case you hadn't noticed, so when will we run out and what happens then?
  • Options
    Really? Oh, ok. I don't pay much attention to this stuff, in case you hadn't noticed, so when will we run out and what happens then?

This is just for the Midlands but implies it runs out in 7 years there

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6258891.stm

I'd imagine higher taxes to transport waste to other countries (such as the US, or Russia) that cover much larger areas compared to population.
  • Options
    On a related topic how many people have food scraps picked up by their council. Food waste seems the ideal thing for councils to pick up, its heavy (landfill is done by weight) and its easy to deal with, just chuck it in a big composter and wait 6 months.
  • Options
    What are you on about now, you hysterical woman?

Who the hell are you, Sigmund Freud??? Lets leave gender politics out of it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    On a related topic how many people have food scraps picked up by their council. Food waste seems the ideal thing for councils to pick up, its heavy (landfill is done by weight) and its easy to deal with, just chuck it in a big composter and wait 6 months.
    My Dad does but he is on a pilot, 1 mile away in the same town my Mum doesn't so it clearly isn't a widespread thing. He said it has massively reduced the amount of stuff in our black bags.

On a "poor show" sort of note, we don't even have a recycling collection where I am - if it doesn't go in a black sack in the communal biffa style bins, it doesn't get picked up.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Sick pay mainly. Nation of sickos. I can't really talk. I'm too busy trying to find a cure.

Says the one who bought his DSLR with his sick pay :p
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    On a "poor show" sort of note, we don't even have a recycling collection where I am - if it doesn't go in a black sack in the communal biffa style bins, it doesn't get picked up.

That's crazy. Where I am at the moment, we have orange bin bags which we can fill with paper, tins and plastic. Where I'm moving to in just over a week, we have a blue wheelie bin which we can put plastic, paper, glass, tins and cardboard in. The difference between different councils is terrible.

As far as food waste goes, a lot of councils (including the one I'm moving to) offer subsidised compost bins (for about £10 i think).
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    This is just for the Midlands but implies it runs out in 7 years there

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6258891.stm

I'd imagine higher taxes to transport waste to other countries (such as the US, or Russia) that cover much larger areas compared to population.
    Surrey is far worse...

hence I have no symnpathy for selfish people making so much waste.

Anybody who has grown up in the countryside knows how beautiful it is... Taking time to manage your waste, recycle and be considerate of others and of our open spaces is a small price to pay for what we have.
  • Options

so when will we run out and what happens then?
    Some areas it has apparently run out and they are shipping it to other areas ...like Jim says ...more is destined to go abroad which will cost a pcket.
    Food waste doesn't realy happen in my house as it gets fed to my few remaining chickens and a mates down the lane. Chickens will eat anything ...meat veg etc.
    More and more people are getting a couple of chickens in the garden. You end up with a slug free environment and need no fertilisers. Plus a dozen very nice eggs a week for nowt.
    Fresh eggs are brill.
  • Options
    hence I have no symnpathy for selfish people making so much waste.

That is an absolutely ridiculous attitude and it makes you come across as petty and stupid, to be quite honest. Typical environmentalist, really, as the lying morons at Greenpeace continually prove.

I'll ask again, seeing as you couldn't be arsed answering the question last time it was asked.

What does fining this guy £250 (a week's wages, don't fucking forget) achieve? It only cuts his waste because he can't afford to buy any fucking food.

A bin full of waste in a fortnight is not excessive. I recycle (well, I did until the council walked off with my recycling box and refused to replace it without charging me £20) and we fill a bin about every 3-4 weeks. Six people is three times as much waste. It's no wonder he fills a wheely bin.

The only thing this fine achieves is making the lazy cunts at the council richer. It doesn't cut waste and it doesn't increase recycling. It does mean that the robbing cunts who run the council get to buy another fucking yacht this year. The council have to pay their managers £200,000pa salaries somehow and this is clearly just their latest wheeze.

The manager who issued this fine wants putting into an industrial composter. It'll save the environment by cutting his CO2 emissions from all this bullshit.

I expect nothing better from an environmentalist to think that starving someone's family to save the dolphins is fair and equitable. As usual, its not about wanting to save the environment, its about wanting to make everyone fucking miserable.
  • Options
    Sorry Kermit, but my view of the situation is that if people are punished for graffiti and vandalism, so should they be punished for excessive rubbish. It is not a case of anything more than the fact that we're running out of landfill space fast.

I do believe the fine is too high and I think people should have say, a warning or two beforehand, but at the same time I have little sympathy for situations like this. As for what it achieves... The same as with any fine? Or do you think fines are a bad thing altogether?

I also think that there's something more to the story if he's getting the fine... Just like that ginger family who claimed they had to keep moving because of ginger abuse.

What else are we going to do? Seriously?

We need to start putting environmental regulations in place, period. It's not a perfect world and it's not about making people upset or saving the dolphins as you so patronisingly put it. We all need to chip in...

We do not have infinate resources on this planet, end of. I don't see the argument as anything more than utilitarian. I think they should cut the fine, or at least make it means tested, but I still support punishing people for things like this.

And yes, I do think that's a lot to go to landfill and I don't see how anybody can disagree... What on earth would take up so much space? :confused:
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    The Rubbish was still IN the bin, so fining him is a bit pointless when theres people in and out of court for worse offences getting less punishment
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And if any further proof was needed that councils are acting like complete utter fools now Hull City Council have fined a woman £75 after her 4 year old daughter dropped part of a sausage roll!

Great considering shes on £92 a week benefits....... Wonder how many sausage rolls she will be able to buy with £17 once shes paid any bills and other essentials......

Oddly enough a bird picked up the dropped sausage roll and ate it, so clearly feeding birds at a zoo/park etc is now also clearly illegal. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sorry Kermit, but my view of the situation is that if people are punished for graffiti and vandalism, so should they be punished for excessive rubbish. It is not a case of anything more than the fact that we're running out of landfill space fast.

Firstly, graffiti and vandalism are completely separate issues. The fact that people get fined for affray doesn't justify the ridiculous stance taken by the council either.

The council have brought this rule in to make money. There is no other reason that I can see for it. They've made £200 out of this poor bloke and as council tax increases are being restricted they have to get the money somehow. After all, all those managers need their six figure salaries paying somehow. A little fine here and a little fine there and bingo! Some fat cat cunt in the council gets a brand new Merc this year.

If the councils were really interested in recycling they'd have a proper scheme in place. I'd have a separated wheely bin for glass, plastic, paper and non-recyclable materials. I'd be given a free composter, instead of having to pay the council £20 for one. The councils would come and take my white good away free of charge, to prevent fly-tipping and dangerous chemical spills.

Of course none of this happens. My wheely bin gets emptied half as often and I'm expected to put a fortnight's waste in a small plastic box with no lid instead, which attracts rats and then then blows away or gets stolen. I have to pay a fortune to get rid of used white goods. I have to pay a fortune for a composter. And when I dare to have a bit too much rubbish in my wheely bin one week I get fined a week's wages.

And then idiots come and defend all this because "we all have to chip in". How about starting with councils providing a hygienic recycling service before issuing the fines? Provide the service and then fine people who don't use it properly. Don't do it the other way around.

This is all about taxation and the council are just using a popular bandwagon to justify extorting more money out of the people who have the misfortune to live in their borough.

Still, we should all sleep easily tonight. This bus driver won't have waste this week because he has no money to feed his kids, but the council fat cats get to buy a new Range Rover with the proceeds. The dolphins should be kissing our feet in gratitude.